Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Installing & running WordPress (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   2.9 upgrade went OK except for 2 plugins (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=5036)

paulae Dec 28, 2009 12:11 PM

2.9 upgrade went OK except for 2 plugins

I just upgraded my news site, http://larchmontgazette.com to Wordpress 2.9. I was afraid major problems would crop up, but the only real disaster is that the Custom Post Templates plugin no longer works, nor does the Front Page Manager plugin. The WP-Page Navi plugin works only partially; it used to show the nice boxed page numbers at the foot of the front page center column, but now only "older entries" shows up there, while the boxed numbers show up at the foot of the news category pages.

My method:
  1. Full database backup
  2. Backed up via FTP all of the plugins, theme files, contents of wp-content/uploads
  3. made a backup list of all of the custom code I'm using in PHP widgets, as well as the Widget Logic code for each widget
  4. deactivated all plugins
  5. ran the auto-update

At this point, I was told the update was done and had gone well. My site looked awful, of course. Content that should show only on certain pages or in certain categories was all crowding onto the front page.

I went back into the plugins admin area and re-activated them one by one, checking the front page and admin area each time. When I got to the Custom Post Templates plugin and activated it, I got parse errors. The Front Page Manager made everything go kaflooey.

I had read in the WP forums that some people were having problems with post scheduling. Since we use that feature a lot, I tested it right away. I set a test post to publish 10 minutes in the future. It worked. I hope it works for days or weeks in the future. We'll see.

So far, so good. I wish all of you luck with your upgrades!

lmilesw Dec 28, 2009 02:45 PM

I checked one of my sites that had Front Page Manager installed and all was working OK with WP 2.9. How do you define "kaflooey"?

paulae Dec 28, 2009 02:50 PM

"Kaflooey" as it relates to Front Page Manager meant that the two categories, Obituaries and Letters, that I do not want to show in the center column of the front page, were showing there.

I want them showing only in their own "enhanced recent posts" lists in the left column. I accomplished this in the past by using some custom PHP code in index.php to exclude those categories. I've gone back to that for now. It was nice to have the Front Page Manager do this, to make it easier for somebody with less code knowledge than I have, which is very slim, to manage the site.

UPDATE: I should note that since I posted about this earlier today, I've run into another couple of problems. I was trying to get the Kieran O'Shea calendar plugin to display better in MSIE, and when I fiddled with the CSS for it, the site broke. Nothing was displaying properly and I was getting parse errors, mentioning the wp-num-captcha plugin too. I've disabled both of those plugins until I can figure out what's going on. Upgrading is no fun!

lmilesw Dec 28, 2009 03:07 PM

Hmmmm... My Frontpage Manager is working fine in that regard. Perhaps it's a conflict with another plugin?

paulae Dec 28, 2009 03:18 PM

Oh, I'm sure multiple plugins can be conflicting with that one or others. Fun. NOT!

Every time I try to reinstate the calendar plugin, the site breaks. Tomorrow when I'm not so frazzled, I'm going to go back and try again to figure out what's causing the problem, although I fear it's more than one plugin. But there are usually multiple ways to accomplish something in Wordpress, so it'll all work out eventually.

I do wish somebody would develop the perfect events calendar!

lmilesw Dec 28, 2009 03:51 PM

I feel your pain. Have you ever tried the wpng Google Calendar Plugin? I haven't but I've used Google calendar on some non WordPress sites with success. I am pretty much totally WP now so I guess I better get testing.