Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Center area post/pages (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   [SOLVED] Help with post titles (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=14589)

Katmoody Jun 10, 2011 06:15 PM

[SOLVED] Help with post titles

Hi -
I've poked around the forums but can't quite find the fix I need, and I really am not as knowledgeable about playing with the coding so I'm afraid to break my site (true story, has already happened twice and I am a BAD girl!).
I've done everything I can think of to make my post titles appear at least the same size or a little bigger than my H1 headings within the posts themselves. I have to assume I'm doing something insanely simple wrong since this is a basic kind of thing.
Could someone look at http://www.katscafe.org and let me know if you can tell why my post titles aren't showing up the way I want them to?

Much thanks ahead of time for your time and effort,
Katrina "Kat"

juggledad Jun 10, 2011 07:06 PM

Why don't you tell us what you have tried so we don't suggest things you have already done.

LANtait Jun 10, 2011 07:54 PM

Just an idea...

You can try this to see if it is what you want...

Post & Pages >> Style POSTS & PAGES

Find

HEADLINE Box: Links

And add a like something like:

font-size: 34px;

Also...

HEADLINE Box: Text
HEADLINE Box: Links: Hover

Katmoody Jun 10, 2011 08:14 PM

I went in to all the options under the "Headline" styling after I saw another forum post regarding the importance of making sure that each post headline was dealt with for each eventuality (when it was a link versus when it was plain text).
I originally tinkered in the style sheet but took my stuff out after my site went down. Have I mentioned that I broke my site? (sighs)

Kat

Katmoody Jun 10, 2011 08:20 PM

I tried that, then changed the font size a bit smaller, but nada. :-(

LANtait Jun 10, 2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katmoody (Post 67686)
I originally tinkered in the style sheet but took my stuff out after my site went down. Have I mentioned that I broke my site? (sighs)

Kat

Hi Kat, let's ask a couple questions...

Have you modified any of the the theme files in the Theme folder?

I ask because you mention that it broke your site.

After I looked at the h2 / h1 issue on your site, I have been spending some time there because of the content (Logan and my son) and I think I picked up on that you are not totally afraid of trying something different. Like editing code...

Your first post says... "playing with the coding" A phrase I would associate more with editing a file (like css.php) more than trying and option or making a setting (on the theme options page).

I am not trying to be picky, I am trying to help.

In the last post that says "but took my stuff out" did you mean you took all custom changes out of theme files you had previously changed.

If yes, I would suggest you try testing with a new theme load.

Like if you have your theme in a folder called "atahualpa" rename that to "atahualpasaved" (just in case) and then load a new download of the Atahualpa download into the theme folder with the same name you started with, in my example that would be "atahualpa"...

This way you will be using unmodified program files, but still using your options (stored in the Database).

I have been writing computer code for 40 years, and php for a decade and a half and most days I get some error that turns out to be a simple missing character. Often just a "}" or ";" or something equally easy to miss.

Also what version of Atahualpa and WordPress are you using? And is there anything special about your site? Like mods you have made?

Katmoody Jun 10, 2011 09:14 PM

I literally played with the .css files but ended up reloading them from my theme template folder I keep on my desktop because I simply wasn't getting any of the results I wanted. to. So I guess I did take most of my custom changes out, but have tried to recreate as many as possible without messing with the underlying css files unless I see something very specific to add it, along with directions on how and where to do so (like with the bug fixes).

I didn't think about saving a second theme copy uploaded, since I have mine saved on my computer - but that is probably a really great idea. Thanks for that.

I have the newest version of both WordPress and Atahualpa, and I don't think I really made any specific mods to anything -- I'm trying to get to know the underlying theme components before I start doing any major playing. I have been doing a lot of exchanging plugins though, simply because some seem to work better or complete the same task better than others do. (Like I am currently trying to figure out the best plug in to add the floating twitter and facebook buttons in the top of the post, without slowing down my site significantly). I know that a couple plugins have caused my site to crash and had my host help me with re-uploading the theme default files (why I keep them on my own computer with an FTP client ready, just in case!).

Thanks for the help, and I appreciate that you were doing a little reading while you were visiting the site!

Kat

LANtait Jun 10, 2011 10:45 PM

The "spectrum" of your site is near and dear to me Kat - I want to share with you how we, here in the Philippines, managed to beat ours over the last 5 years - but this forum is about Atahualpa and I have not figured our how to make contact on your site... I just do not have a lot of social network stuff...

I would suggest a few things...

1) Try shutting down ALL plugins - some times they really mess things up.
2) Start from scratch with your theme. I mean really download a new one, so all the files are fresh. Then apply the bug fixes. Just to be sure, you may want to read THIS BUGFIX ADVICE as a basic check list.
3) Look for changes you made, especially to "h2" tags or class="post-headline".

These are basic process of elimination things... sorry I do not have something more direct to the point...

Lan

Katmoody Jun 11, 2011 08:49 PM

Thanks to all of you guys for your help. After playing with it through the day I think I finally got it. I had a couple of plugins that were interfering with not only some of my styling, but with the loading of my site. I think I took care of it for now, but at any rate I was able to get my headline of my posts styled the way I want it! YAY! I'm poking around for my next answer now, about putting a widget area in the header in the logo section. So far I'm not having any luck.

Thanks again, if you have suggestions on my newest challenge please let me know, otherwise I'll be poking around the forums to see if I can find the answer. You guys are awesome - and I"ll be making a donation to show my appreciation. :-)
Kat