Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   [SOLVED] REQUEST: Atahualpa MultiSite Forum (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=12207)

LANtait Jan 13, 2011 04:02 AM

[SOLVED] REQUEST: Atahualpa MultiSite Forum

I request a Atahualpa MultiSite Forum?

This would be specifically to cover MultiSite challenges and issues.

I would be willing to come on the board and support MultiSite users with specific MultiSite/Atahualpa issues.

I am new to WordPress. I have been an Atahualpa user for 1 day as of this writing.

However, I have about 40 years of computer programing (since before my 10 kids and 11 grandchildren were born).

But I only have 15 years experience with PHP.

Since I started with Atahualpa (yesterday), I wrote a tiny patch that solves the MultiSite Header Image Issue, the Deleted Custom Header Image Issue, and it is WordPress Standards Compliant.

If you would like to read my solution and its rationale you can...

http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=12205

I am currently "retired" (you Re-Tire so your car can go farther, right?). And help my wife with our system. As to WordPress here is an outline of what we use...

Atahualpa 3.6.1
WordPress 3.0.4
MultiSite Sub-Domain Mode
WP Multi Network Plugin

I loaded Atahualpa 3.6.1 into WordPress 3.0.4 in MultiSite mode with the WP Multi Network Plugin. It runs a couple dozen sites, with a dozen or so being developed.

It runs with complete Header Images for each of the sites, with full rotation features.

It does Not delete Header Images when Atahualpa or WordPress is updated automatically.

But I do not see any specific support for MultiSite / Multi Network Atahualpa...

Currently the Atahualpa Forums are:
  • New Versions, & Updating
  • Languages & Translations
  • Header configuration & styling
  • Page & Category Menu Bars
  • Center area post/pages
  • Sidebars & Widgets
  • RSS, Feeds & Subscribing
  • Plugins & Atahualpa
  • eCommerce & Atahualpa

However, there is no apparent Forum to address the specific needs and development of the MultiSite / Multi Network users, who are growing in numbers.

I therefore humbly request an Atahualpa MultiSite Forum be established for MultiSite users such as myself.

Thank You for your consideration.

LAN

johnh44 Apr 28, 2011 12:41 PM

Wow! I could not recommend this more strongly. aLan Tait's work with the code is simply stunning. What a colaboration it makes!

You guys definitely have the best theme, and his mod makes it world class for multisite installations.

LANtait Apr 29, 2011 11:37 PM

Thanks John!

Which version of WordPress are you running it on?

This Mod is so stable now that we are running it in multi site and multi network mode on dozens of sites. We have made this our standard configuration and have covered all other themes to Atahualpa and removed all themes except TwentyTen for testing purposes.

I am hoping that this mod will one day become part of the Atahualpa standard code (it now works in all modes). If we could then get it into wordpress.com - so people there can use Atahualpa.

It also adds the upload features in single site mode for those with only one site. I have been told the last version has fixed the problem in the multisite/subdirectories. So it now runs in all possible modes!

If anyone has a problem with this mod I would be willing to help you, either here or on my blog. Although right now I am nursing a broken arm from a road accident.

I would love to see some sites that are using this mod and to know the configuration you are using.

Are you willing to share you url?

LANtait Apr 29, 2011 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnh44 (Post 64243)
Wow! I could not recommend this more strongly. aLan Tait's work with the code is simply stunning. What a colaboration it makes!

You guys definitely have the best theme, and his mod makes it world class for multisite installations.

johnh44 ~ Did you use The Ultimate Multi Site Mod?

http://alantait.net/2011/02/26/ultim...atahualpa-mod/

johnh44 May 5, 2011 05:26 PM

My WP version is 3.1.2 and Atahualpa 3.6.4.

I have not yet loaded it on my live site but have had no problems with in on my private DEV site.

I'll let you know when I've got it on the live site.

johnh44 May 6, 2011 12:37 PM

OK, I have made my decision, Alan. I think your "ultimate" solution is dynamite, but it's more than I need for my project. In my setup (http colon-slash-slash nozzl-dot-com), I am using the same favicon for all subdomain sites, and I'm not using a logo. All I need is to customize (isolate for each sub-site) the location of the header image. So, I will use you earlier post that does just that! :)

LANtait May 12, 2011 07:34 PM

Hi John,

Sorry about the delay - start of school here in the Philippines and this is the first year I have four kids in four Different schools! College, high school, grade school and a grade school for gifted children! Actually it is my gifted 9 year old that writes all my code (joke only!) :)

I have had this running on the live sites:
fgbmfi.net The Full Gospel Business Men's Fellowship International
alantait.net My technical blog
newliphe.org A health and healing site (New LipHe or New Life)

This is ONE install.

I actually have a couple dozen sites running in this mix - these are live sites as the last mod is so stable. However these are low to medium traffic sites. It should not make much difference though.

I was not able (meaning no timing difference) to determine any difference in download times on sites with or without the mod - it is just too small.

I would NOT recommend the first or second attempts, as there are not as stable and I will NOT be supporting them in the future. The one I recommend is Version 2.0, The Ultimate WordPress MultiSite, WP Multi Network, Atahualpa Mod

If you are running this on a live site please report it HERE - WordPress MultiSite, WP Multi Network, Atahualpa Mod, Ultimate Working Sites

The reason I recommend version 2.0, even if you are not using logos and favicons, is because the way it handles the code. Also it is a much easier mod and this is the track that I will release new files for (just paste the file and forget it!). So no code finding and modifications.

Likewise, these files DO NOT change the default code. Meaning whatever you have working (the same favicon for all subdomain sites, and I'm not using a logo) will continue to work with no change! If later you want to add a favicon to one site (or all) you just make the change to whichever site you want... Same with a logo image.

CHECK THIS OUT!

One of the wonderful things about Atahualpa is the ability to run multiple copies or multiple versions!

For example if you have one loaded in a folder called atahualpa you could load another copy in a folder called atahualpatest, atahualpa2 or atahualpamod. Then use these side by side, even on a live site, for testing. Just activate or deactivate as if they were different themes as needed.

Let's say you load a folder called atahualpamod with exactly what is in your atahualpa folder. Make this easy mod and then in WordPress Admin switch to the "atahualpamod theme."

What I actually do is rename atahualpa to atahualpaorig and put the mod site in as atahualpa. If there was a problem with the mod theme (which I have never had) it takes only seconds to switch it back!

When you load this mod, you will NOT see any change in your site. The Version 2.0 mod just ALLOWS you to configure things differently. Until you change the configuration your site will not change. That is one of the real beauties of this mod - no change until you want it!

I looked at your nozzl site John and I do not believe you would have any problem with this mod at all.

If you choose to use the older mod, you will need to remember you must find and modify each line in newer versions of Atahualpa. I will for my own sites, be releasing a new version of the mod files for each new version of Atahualpa and I hope at a future date this code will be merged into the Atahualpa code base as it solves all multisite, Multi Network, and WPMU problems as well as adding a feature for single sites.

NEWS

A bit of news is that Atahualpa with this mod (ver 2.0) could be approved for use on WordPress.com - the free WordPress site and there is some discussion over there about doing this.

Many people have suggested / wanted Atahualpa on WordPress.com but till now the position was that it would be too difficult to adapt to the MultiSite / Multi Network environment. The sites listed above provide proof of concept of running Atahualpa in the the MultiSite / Multi Network environment on WordPress.com

So maybe if we get this code merged into Atahualpa then all the people on WordPress.com can enjoy it also! :)

LANtait Jun 8, 2011 11:30 PM

I have now released the
Atahualpa Easy Header Fix

For Atahualpa 3.6.4 and Atahualpa 3.6.7 :)

The Atahualpa Easy Header Fix has many great features including...
  1. It protects custom header images, logo images and favicons during updates (even automatic updates).
  2. It is backwards compatible with all Atahualpa settings (it breaks no functionality).
  3. It works for Single Sites and Multi Site Sites and WP Multi Network Sites.
  4. It allows automatic updates of Atahualpa (from WordPress.org), which will not delete custom image files (Truly automatic if merged into the Atahualpa code).
  5. It includes uploading all per-site graphics, the headers, the the logo and the favicon.
  6. All image files are uploaded via the WordPress media uploader (no FTP access is needed).
  7. It uses standard WordPress functions to find the upload directory.
  8. It allows Sort and Shuffle modes for Multi Site and Multi Network as well as Single site mode.
  9. It allows Normal Default Settings for Atahualpa to function in a normal way.
  10. It is SMALL (only 22KB download) and makes only nine very tiny changes in five easy to upload files ~ with full documentation.
All in all it is a very nice Fix, super easy to use, stable, and hopefully, it will be considered for permanent inclusion into the Atahualpa Core Code.

Installing the Easy Header Fix
This fix is very stable, powerful and much easier to use! In fact, easy as One, Two, Three!

Atahualpa Easy Header Fix Download Page

Atahualpa Easy Header Fix Complete Instructions
Note: These instructions are Posted HERE!.

The website for this fix (including history and versions) is at:
http://alantait.net/atahualpa/

This is the close of this topic... CONTINUE HERE!

If you use this fix... Think about donating to Juggledad, I've spent time figuring this issue out and coming up with the fix, but Juggledad is here daily supplying support. Being in the Philippines and without paypal, I cannot send money. However, you sending Juggledad a donation will encourage him (and me) to continue to support Atahualpa. You can use the 'Donate to Juggledad' button on the donate page.
Thanks, LAN