Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Plugins & Atahualpa (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   "The event calendar" (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=6811)

silva Apr 21, 2010 03:41 AM

"The event calendar"

Hello... I am using "the event calendar" (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/...ents-calendar/) in my blog.
The problem is that when looking at individual posts, the right sidebar disappears
My blog is http:www.groshgrup.net, if you want to see what I mean!

I looked for help on the calendar forum, and found a post about how to make atahualpa work with the events calendar... ( http://wordpress.org/support/topic/357338?replies=33 ). But the solution offered did not work for me. Any help? Thanks in anticipation!

juggledad Apr 21, 2010 04:31 AM

What version of Atahualpa and WP?

the link points at a landing page with no calander, please point at a page showing the calander and another showing it missing

silva Apr 21, 2010 04:48 AM

Hello...

the layout of a "normal page" (not an event page) is:
http://www.groshgrup.net/blog/2010/04/mah/

the layout of a page linked to an event (with right sidebar missing) is:
http://www.groshgrup.net/blog/2010/04/ritorno-ai-bagni/

I am using the latest versions of wordpress and atahualpa
wordpress 2.9.2
atahualpa 3.4.6

Thanks
Silva

juggledad Apr 21, 2010 05:01 AM

what do you have set at ato->Style & configure SIDEBARS->RIGHT sidebar: Display on: and 'RIGHT sidebar: Don't display on Pages:'?

silva Apr 21, 2010 05:43 AM

Hello...

* "right sidebar: display on": all options are ticked.
* "right sidebar: don't display on": is blank

juggledad Apr 21, 2010 06:15 AM

It's the plugin, it's ignoring the sidebars. I did a search and came up with this thread discribing the problem (http://wordpress.org/support/topic/357338) and there is a get around
Quote:

Hey Pankus & ncitravel,

Just found this thread- and without too much mucking around (time is money!) I found that it's easy enough to make it work with Atahualpa.

Simply do as Shaine has said

Create a new folder called "events" in your template directory and copy over the following files from within the plugin folder (simple-events/views/):

* gridview.php
* list.php
* single.php

Edit all of the above 3 files, in the new location, and perform the two actions below on each file-

Replace include (TEMPLATEPATH.'/header.php');
with include (TEMPLATEPATH . '/functions/bfa_get_options.php');
get_header();

Replace include (TEMPLATEPATH.'/footer.php');
with get_footer();

All done!

ShadowQ.
so in each of the three files, you have to replace the line
HTML Code:

include (TEMPLATEPATH.'/header.php'); ?>
with
HTML Code:

include (TEMPLATEPATH.'/functions/bfa_get_options.php');
        get_header(); ?>

and replace the line
HTML Code:

include (TEMPLATEPATH.'/footer.php');
with
HTML Code:

get_footer();

silva Apr 21, 2010 06:22 AM

Hello...

I had tried it (I had put a reference to this post in my message...I should have highlighted it better, sorry!) but I am getting an error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /web/htdocs/MY DOMAIN NAME/home/blog/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/events/single.php

silva Apr 21, 2010 06:46 AM

(I will try again, just in case, and I will let you know how it goes)
and, btw, thanks for the fantastic support so far

juggledad Apr 21, 2010 06:57 AM

Replace the lines EXACTLY as I show. You probably deleted something you needed

silva Apr 21, 2010 07:05 AM

I replaced the text again, and I still have the error

"Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '>' in /web/htdocs/www.groshgrup.net/home/blog/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/events/single.php on line 4"

This is the beginning of the single.php file

<?php
The_Events_Calendar::loadStylesAndScripts();
include (TEMPLATEPATH . '/functions/bfa_get_options.php');
get_header();>

<div id="tec-content" class="tec-event widecolumn">
<?php the_post(); global $post, $spEvents; ?>
<div id="post-<?php the_ID() ?>" <?php post_class() ?>>

. . .

and this is the end

<?php
get_footer();

juggledad Apr 21, 2010 07:08 AM

You are missing the '?' before the '>' after the 'get_header();' this is why I said to copy EXACTLY what I put in my post

silva Apr 21, 2010 07:22 AM

I did a cut and paste :-(((
The problem was that I did not have a ? in the original file...

I did the replacement according to the code in the original post (which was omitting the ?)
, not to yours, so it did not work.

Anyway... it works GREAT now!
Thanks so much for helping me to sort this problem.
really big thanks

silva Apr 21, 2010 07:29 AM

mmm-... actually problem is NOT yet solved...
Now the calendar view is misbehaving

see footer of page
http://www.groshgrup.net/blog/category/calendar/

silva Apr 21, 2010 07:39 AM

(there is no side bad there because I removed it from the category "calendar", otherwise the calendar table would not fit in the page!)

juggledad Apr 21, 2010 01:13 PM

I can't test it right now because I'm on my way out, but try making the LAST line of gridview.php this
HTML Code:

?>

silva Apr 21, 2010 01:28 PM

Thanks for the suggestion... It did not work

I still get the message

Warning: include() [function.include]: Filename cannot be empty in /web/htdocs/www.groshgrup.net/home/blog/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/events/gridview.php on line 25

Warning: include() [function.include]: Filename cannot be empty in /web/htdocs/www.groshgrup.net/home/blog/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/events/gridview.php on line 25

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '' for inclusion (include_path='.:/php5/lib/php/') in /web/htdocs/www.groshgrup.net/home/blog/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/events/gridview.php on line 25

This is the gridfile as it is now (I reverted back to the version without '?>' as a last line):

<?php
global $spEvents;
$spEvents->loadStylesAndScripts();

include (TEMPLATEPATH . '/functions/bfa_get_options.php');
get_header();?>

<div id="tec-content" class="grid">
<div id='tec-events-calendar-header' class="clearfix">
<h2 class="tec-cal-title"><?php _e('Calendar of Events', $spEvents->pluginDomain) ?></h2>

<?php get_jump_to_date_calendar( "tec-" ); ?>

<span class='tec-calendar-buttons'>
<a class='tec-button-off' href='<?php echo events_get_listview_link(); ?>'><?php _e('Event List', $spEvents->pluginDomain)?></a>
<a class='tec-button-on' href='<?php echo events_get_gridview_link(); ?>'><?php _e('Calendar', $spEvents->pluginDomain)?></a>
</span>

</div><!--#tec-events-calendar-header-->

<?php event_grid_view( ); // See the plugins/the-events-calendar/views/table.php template for customization ?>
</div>

<?php
include get_footer();

juggledad Apr 22, 2010 04:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hmm I'm not getting that error when I look at the full page calendar - maybe you did something wrong on the edits. Attached is a copy of the events folder with the code I am using, try it out.
Attachment 476

silva Apr 22, 2010 04:32 AM

It works great now... thanks... really a zillion thanks.
I wonder what went wrong, I checked again and I have done the edits right.

One last question... the font in the body of an event page
(see for example http://www.groshgrup.net/blog/2010/04/bivacco-urbano-2/ )
is different from the font used in the home page.

It is a very very minor thing, but I wonder if it depends on the plugin or is an issue with the theme.

Thanks a lot again for all your really kind help.

juggledad Apr 22, 2010 04:42 AM

This plugin seems to be a work in progress.
1) you have to add code to the theme folder(should not work this way)
2) on a full calendar page, making the window narrower causes the calendar to floats over the sidebar.
3) doesn't respect the themes styling
4) documentation is scarse (I still can't figure out how to make a full calendar page)

silva Apr 22, 2010 04:52 AM

Agree... still room for improvement!
(and in addition their widget does not work with a multilingual site)
But this is the only plugin i found so far allows me to update events directly from a post (I tried another few and had even more problems!)
If you have any suggestion for events plugin working well with Athaualpa they are of course welcome...
I am looking for something that:
* works in a multilingual site
* allows to link an event to a post (i.e. edit dates and location when writing the post)
* has a widget showing future events
* display summary calendar pages
* having a location map is a bonus
But now that I have done these basic edits I am happy with the behaviors of the calendar, and hope it will be improved with time!

thanks again for your work on atahualpa, a great theme really and great support!

jonasgrumby Oct 28, 2010 02:16 PM

I am going to be trying this with Atahualpa 3.5.3.

A few misconceptions going on here though...

1) you have to add code to the theme folder(should not work this way)

Not true. That's just a way to prevent an upgrade of the plugin from wiping out your modifications to the templates.

2) on a full calendar page, making the window narrower causes the calendar to floats over the sidebar.

If you set #tec-content to a fixed width and then make your window narrower, it may no longer fit next to your sidebar. You could try using percentage widths instead of fixed widths. That's a general CSS issue and not a "fault" of the plugin.

3) doesn't respect the themes styling

You can earn that respect by knowing a little bit of code :)

4) documentation is scarse

Seems fine to me.

HTH

jonasgrumby Oct 28, 2010 02:37 PM

Thanks for the files @juggledad. Out of the box they did not work for me but I realize they were not written for Atahualpa 3.5.3. I'll see if I can locate the problem. Here is the error I get:

Fatal error: Call to undefined method The_Events_Calendar::loadStylesAndScripts() in /home/thesn8/public_html/1/wp-content/themes/atahualpa353/events/single.php on line 2

Thanks

jonasgrumby Oct 28, 2010 03:05 PM

For Atahualpa 3.5.3 you need

PHP Code:

<?php     /* get all options: */
# error_reporting(-1);
include (TEMPLATEPATH '/functions/bfa_get_options.php');
global 
$bfa_ata;
get_header(); ?>

This will cause the page to display without error but it does not seem to address the issue of how to include the sidebar(s).

jonasgrumby Oct 28, 2010 04:14 PM

Seems like the template files that come with the plugin have also changed since this thread was started. So much for the idea of saving your template files in your theme folder so that the changes don't get overwritten.

The latest version of the plugin, single.php looks like this:

PHP Code:

<?php
global $spEvents;
$spEvents->loadDomainStylesScripts();
get_header();
?>

I also tried changing that to:

PHP Code:

<?php
global $spEvents;
include (
TEMPLATEPATH '/functions/bfa_get_options.php');
global 
$bfa_ata;
get_header();
?>

as well as:

PHP Code:

<?php
global $spEvents;

/* get all options: */
# error_reporting(-1);
include (TEMPLATEPATH '/functions/bfa_get_options.php');
global 
$bfa_ata;
get_header();
?>

So far all three ways I have tried show the page without error but do not display the sidebar on the single post page (i.e. as if I had just used the plugin's stock template files). I also tried purposely breaking the code to make sure it is reading the template in the theme folder and not the one in the plugin folder and that test worked.

This is a site that I volunteer on so I'm going to have to put this aside for a little while. I will keep an eye in this thread and will post the answer if I find it.

Thanks

jonasgrumby Oct 28, 2010 04:27 PM

I'm thinking that the thing to do is probably to take the Atahualpa index.php, replace the loop (center column area) with their code, save it with the appropriate file name and upload it to the theme's /events folder. I haven't tried it though.