Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   New Versions, & Updating (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Add HTML/css inserts (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=16265)

TeacherMac Dec 14, 2011 07:33 PM

Add HTML/css inserts

Wordpress 3.3
ATA 3.7.3

Fantastic and powerful theme to learn and build with.

I see many references using Add HTML/CSS Inserts but all my fields are blank yet I see others refering to line numbers in the code. What am I missing?

The defaults are all blank and I get the same with the plugins disabled.

Changes I have made to the CSS.php work fine but I agree the HTML/CSS Inserts would be faster.

Thanks,

Mac

juggledad Dec 14, 2011 07:44 PM

If you make changes to CSS.php, each time the theme is updated, you will have to make them again. By adding any changes to the CSS inserts, hey become a theme option and will carry over during theme upgrades

TeacherMac Dec 14, 2011 07:57 PM

My point exactly however if everything is blank how do you find anything?

As I said all the boxes are blank so I'm unable to scroll to entries I need to change.

I needed to add some space above my header as it was right at the top.

%image %page-center.

I spent hours trying to find an answer and only a few minutes editing the file to make the change.

juggledad Dec 14, 2011 08:24 PM

Do you mean there is nothing in ANY of the options?
If so I'd say your install got messed up. Did you install it automatically from Wordpress.org?
If you haven't done too much, press the reset all options button and see what happens, but I suspect the install timed out and it didn't complete.

Your host isn't godaddy by any chance is it?

TeacherMac Dec 14, 2011 08:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Host: Fat Cow

Did the reset with the same results. I have WordPress running on 10 of my domains but ata only on one. The installation was quick and there were no apparent errors.

I have included a screen shot.

Thanks

Knut Sparhell Dec 14, 2011 09:00 PM

The default inserts are blank. This is intended. You are meant to add elements or CSS rules.

The C in CSS means cascading. By adding more specific CSS and/or later rules they will apply without changing the previous/existing CSS rules.

If you must add rules that are less specific than the existing ones you may include the !important clause to make it take effect.

To find the relevant selectors to use (target elements/ids/classes) I recommend some web authoring tool for your browser.

TeacherMac Dec 14, 2011 09:05 PM

Thank you. I guess I'll work with Firefox & Firebug.

juggledad Dec 15, 2011 04:29 AM

Lots of things are customizable in the theme options. A simple example is the menu. Some of the boxes are single options, like the background color - it gives you a color picker to set it (or you can manually enter the RRGGBB values), while 'Font Size & Face' lets you put in more. Other settings, like 'Overlayed Blog Title/Tagline Style' allows you to add many lines of styling to it.

These options are used by the code to build the 'style.css' on the fly. Because there are almost a limitless number of HTML elements you can style AND they differ on different sites, there is no way to have a place to style all of them. Hence the CSS Inserts' option.

With the 'CSS Inserts' option, you can add extra styling, it will be added to the end of teh 'style.css' when it is built AND they are now theme options so they will survive theme upgrades.

That's what makes this theme so great, I think Flynn (the developer) is brilliant