Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Page & Category Menu Bars (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   [SOLVED] Page Sorting Order options (comparing from 3.17 to latest ?) (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=13308)

eplouie Mar 15, 2011 04:19 AM

[SOLVED] Page Sorting Order options (comparing from 3.17 to latest ?)

I'm not sure if this was covered in previous threads.... not sure where to dig around, so I'll start a new thread.

In version 3.17 under the Sorting order of Page Menu Bar, there were two options - menu_order and post_title.

Do we have more options built into the new version? I'd love to create my invisible sense of order, moving pages around, similar to the sorting order at LINKS.

Hopefully there's some simple solutions for guys like me that aren't real comfortable with editing the code.

My thanks in advance to whoever responds...

juggledad Mar 15, 2011 04:25 AM

You can use the wordpress custom menus and built your menu anyway you want

eplouie Mar 15, 2011 05:22 AM

I'm guessing the custom menu option came in with editions after 3.17?
I didn't see it in 3.17.

If there's any easy fix with 3.17, that would be lovely.

EVerything else seems to work fine, and I'm not anxious to re-do all the tweaks I did with the original theme - ad widgets, etc....

juggledad Mar 15, 2011 05:38 AM

The WORDPRESS custom menus came into existence in WORDPRESS 3.0.
Atahualpa started supporting it in version 3.5.3

eplouie Mar 15, 2011 01:16 PM

Ahh.... I guess it's time for me to step into the new Athahualpa...

eplouie Mar 15, 2011 01:17 PM

My thanks!

eplouie Mar 15, 2011 08:04 PM

The Custom Menu option is not as intuitive as I'd like it to be. Any good overviews / tutorials youd recommend?

eplouie Mar 15, 2011 08:24 PM

The main thing I'm trying to do is change the order on my pages.

I just updated from Atahualpa 3.17 to the latest Atahualpa 3.64.

I tried a couple of things...

1) In editing the pages, I adjusted the "Page Attributes" to "No Parent" with the number order that I wanted.

I updated.

NO CHANGE with the visible order.

2) Going back to editing the pages, I added a "Custom Field" which I called "MainPage" with a specific value. Each page was specifically edited with those options.

I updated.

STILL NO CHANGE with the visible order.

2) I went to Appearance > Menus and created a custom menu called "Main Pages."

In this menu, I added the various pages I wanted in the order I wanted.

I selected the "Menu 1" option for a location.

I saved the menu.

NOTHING WORKS.

What's the next option?

lmilesw Mar 15, 2011 09:24 PM

Could you export and attach a setting file to a reply so I could look at your settings? What do you have in the Configure Header Area box?

eplouie Mar 15, 2011 10:29 PM

I'm not sure how or which setting to share.

The good news is that after upgrading WordPress itself to the latest version, it looks like I might have been able to make things work.

I'm not sure WHAT worked, but it sort of works....

I wish i knew what happened....

lmilesw Mar 16, 2011 07:03 AM

The export I was talking about is in ATO>Export/Import settings but I'm glad you are working.

eplouie Mar 17, 2011 05:29 AM

It looks like that problem has been resolved. I'm guessing the new version of the theme required the new version of WordPress to work ... at least with page order.

NEW PROBLEM: How to get rid of the PAGES in the header menu section - right about my title? I prefer my PAGES listed in the left bar, and this wasn't an issue in old version...

I'm looking at Atahualpa Options page...
themes.php?page=functions.php

Maybe HEADER AREA > Menu 1 (Page Menu) ?

I tried a few things, but no obvious solution...

juggledad Mar 17, 2011 10:18 AM

What's the url so we can see what you are talking about. Point out the area in question

eplouie Mar 17, 2011 12:37 PM

http://www.louielouie.net/blog

lmilesw Mar 17, 2011 12:47 PM

Look in ATO>Style & edit Header Area>Configure Header Area. That explains how to add or remove menu bars.

eplouie Mar 17, 2011 03:04 PM

Thanks! It wasn't obvious when I first looked at it, so I appreciate the support.

FIXED!