Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Multiple Landing Pages At One Time? (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=3713)

SCLove Oct 3, 2009 10:57 AM

Multiple Landing Pages At One Time?

:confused:I believe that I can have more than one Landing Page, but how do I have more than one at a time? I see an option for only one "First Page" in Admin. For multiple Landing Pages, does it require adding the same code that I did for the existing Landing Page for each new Landing Page? Is there a simple way to have multiple Landing Pages exhibit at one time? Thanks. -SL

juggledad Oct 3, 2009 01:25 PM

How will someone get to one landing page vers another? Normally when you tpye http://yourdomain.com you will land on the landing page (eithor index.html or index.php) so how will someone get to a different landing page?

SCLove Oct 3, 2009 05:16 PM

Thanks, Juggledad, but I don't have any idea what you're saying. I am not asking how to get from one landing page to another. To be clear: I would like to have multiple landing pages linked to my blog. I now have one. How do I set up several? The admin panel seems to only have an option for one "first page". Thanks.

juggledad Oct 3, 2009 07:58 PM

Again I ask, how can a site have more than one landing page? you can have multiple pages so that if you say www.yourdomain.com/page1 or www.yourdomain.com/page2 but only one page will show up if you say www.yourdomain.com - there can only be one.

Unless you talking about something else, as far as I know a site only has one landing page or I just don't understand what you mean by a landing page

SCLove Oct 10, 2009 12:39 PM

I am still in need of a solution, Juggledad. I'd appreciate your help.

As I mentioned, a Landing Page is also called a Squueze page. I am sure you're familiar with these. We often see several one page stand-alone Landing Pages linked to a blog. All are posted and each one is viewable depending on the how the viewer searches. I have one that you can see at www.lovepalmspringshomes.com

The issue is that I'd like to create and post more than one Landing Page to use at one time so that I can cover the gamut of possible searches for my topic.

Please inquire elsewhere if you're not sure. I think Flynn has the answer (he's away, right?). I have been trying to get to ths solution for quite a while and would appreciate your help. Thanks.

juggledad Oct 11, 2009 09:30 AM

According to wat I just looked up,
Quote:

Currently, there is still some debate over the actual definition of a squeeze page. Some consider landing pages that offer additional hyperlinks to information as well as e-mail opt-in list sign-up to be a squeeze page, while others in the industry believe only those pages containing just an e-mail sign-up are considered a squeeze page.
Working with that definition, and realizing that a DOMAIN NAME (like mydomain.com or mydomain.org) used as an address -by it self - can only bring up one page, the one pointed to at mydomain.com/index.html or index.php - I beleive the php takes precedence.

You can have as many sub pages as you want, like mydomain.com/page1.html or mydomain.com/page2.html. If you want to put email subscribtions on them, I guess they would be squeeze pages.

So in WordPress (note creating pages is not a feature of Atahualpa - Atahualpa is the theme ie style of how the page is displayed.) just create your pages and put what everyou want on them. It seems that that that should dothe trick for you.

Adam Oct 13, 2009 08:53 AM

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

What EXACTLY do you mean by multiple landing pages?
Not just another word, but please describe what you mean...

Do you mean multiple pages with different addresses?
yoursite.com/cool
yoursite.com/awesome
yoursite.com/hothothot
???

Do you want the addresses to look more "top-level"?
cool.yoursite.com
awesome.yoursite.com
hothothot.yoursite.com
???

Are these all supposed to "feel" like "home" to the googler who ends up there?

Do you want them to redirect to your primary "home"?

Do you want separate blog entries at each one? (The cool blog, the awesome blog, the hothothot blog?)

What are you trying to accomplish?

(PS
You should not tell people who are trying to help you to "inquire elsewhere." It's rude.)

SCLove Oct 18, 2009 11:56 PM

First of all, I want to thank Juggledad for his sticking with me as I perist in trying to find my answer. Thank you also to Adam for wanting to help clarify. I did not mean any offense to Juggledad by suggesting we confer with Flynn. It's just that Flynn had helped me set up the Landing page and I thought it would be helpful to see how he did it.

My objective is to have several one page lead capture pages that I can redirect/link to my blog. Each will be short and to the point, and take a slightly different approach to attracting potential clients. The idea is to offer a compelling call to action on each individual page that will motivate the viewer to want to provide their contact info so that they can click through to our robust website and interact with us so that we can help them.

The addresses (other than the blog) haven't been my focus. However, maybe what's been confounding me is the possibility that I do need different addresses (does that mean different URL's?) to accomplish what I want...? I can't seem to get to how to create these multiple, separate pages when I only have a choice of selecting only one First Page in the Admin Panel.

(Juggledad said: " You can have as many sub pages as you want, like mydomain.com/page1.html or mydomain.com/page2.html. If you want to put email subscribtions on them, I guess they would be squeeze pages.")

So if I had sub pages, I still don't see how they all appear at once. Is it really that simple?

Again, Juggledad and Adam, please accept my sincere appreciation for both your willingness to help.

SCL

SCLove Oct 19, 2009 12:32 AM

PS:

If it helps, I wanted to mention that we created a Template named Landing Page 1 for the Landing Page that I currrently have (www.lovepalmspringshomes.com) and then set that to Front Page in the Editor section of Appearance (in Admin). See, it's that there appears to be only one Front page option that is causing my problem. How I would create sub pages (if that's the answer) that appear at once, I don't know.

I suppose I could just buy more domains and link them to the blog, but I don't think that's how it's usually done. It would seem more effective to be able to use the existing blog name and url with the only variation being the page 1; page 2; etc.

Hope this sheds some additional light. Thanks.

juggledad Oct 19, 2009 04:35 AM

In your ideal world, can you explain what someone would type as a web address to get to 2 of what you are calling 'landing' pages. I.E, to get to my web site you would type http://callofthemuse.com.

It seems there is a termonolagy problem or technical misunderstanding here. so if you can give an example using html addresses, maybe we can clear it up

SCLove Oct 19, 2009 09:40 AM

Thanks for your reply. I never actually considered addresses specifically. The way these pages work is to try and capitalize upon the best keywords used for a search. In my case it's variations of Palm Springs Real Estate or Golf Course Homes, etc. The user wouldn't necessarily know a URL and it's unimportant except internally/how we set up the pages.

Please note that the existing Landing Page is the same URL as my blog (www.lovepalmspringshomes.com) and just set as the Front Page. This is the crux of the matter. How to set up more than one, especially when the Admin seems to only allow one Front page. Maybe we use your sub pages idea, but how? Maybe there's another solution? I know that other people are doing this - I just don't know how!

The whole purpose of what I am trying to accomplish with "Landing Pages" is essentially a bunch of nets to attract clients and then have the nets funnel to my blog.

Make sense?

juggledad Oct 19, 2009 10:06 AM

Yes it does, and that bering us back to the beginning - you have two choices
1) buy lots of domain names and set each one up with a page which then links you to your blog or
2) have a blog with lots of pages. Each page is setup with meta data that the search engines will use to .

You are getting confused with the frontpage of a site and a page that is shown to a user in a search engine. (1) every domain can only have one main page - it can have as many sub pages as you want, but only one main page.

It is possibel to have many subpages of a domain show up in a search engine. You need to use one of the SEO plugins and setup your meta data and make sure to specify a robot.txt that will encorage search engins to look at the pages and probably a couple othere things. All of which are outside the scope of this forum.

If you don't understand what this all means, then you should consider hiring someone who can teach you and guide you thru the process while you develop your site.

sparksmex Oct 20, 2009 06:26 AM

I don't understand this either but you could show portions of other pages with an iframe window

<IFRAME width=345 height=272 name="iframe2" title="Melaque Cam" scrolling="no" src="snapshot.html" align="middle">
Melaque Cam</IFRAME>

Example - http://sparks-mexico.com/Assorted/weather/index.html

But I don't understand why.

Every page you create will show up in search if properly indexed and submitted in 'sitmap.xml' .... but they have to have content and Meta info

BTW - index.html takes precedence over index.php

Also your blog address is http://lovepalmspringshomes.com/?page_id=485#
and your landing page is http://lovepalmspringshomes.com/

so they are not the same