Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Header configuration & styling (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Clickable Header & Problem linking images (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=10790)

tim55057 Oct 28, 2010 12:10 PM

Clickable Header & Problem linking images

2 Issues I'm having.

-I have "make header clickable" to go to home selected but isn't working. Does it have something to the use of WP 3.0 custom menus?

-Also when I go to link an image, it isn't always taking. It just goes back to a blank linking form. I have the Super-edit plugin as well as Shutter, reloaded. Do you think it could be conflicting with something? I'm also using Chrome.

Thanks!

juggledad Oct 28, 2010 02:14 PM

What version of atahualpa and wp?
What is the URL showing the issue?

tim55057 Oct 28, 2010 02:33 PM

WP 3.0.1 (current) and the Beta Atahualpa 3.5.3.

It's any URL I try to link up to an image.

juggledad Oct 28, 2010 03:18 PM

Atahualpa 3.5.3 is not beta, it is the current release.
What is the url of your site and can you describe where on your site the issue is.

tim55057 Nov 4, 2010 06:42 AM

Good morning juggledad. Are you a dad that juggles your life, or a father with a juggling hobby? I'm also a magician, as you'll see here.

http://timfreeland.com/

Is the header not clickable because of the rotation??

Thanks!

juggledad Nov 4, 2010 07:01 AM

(both)

the problem is caused by the code that is used to do the fading - shut off fading for the header and it will work. This issue is being looked at.

rickpoet Sep 13, 2011 01:45 AM

Hi,

Wondering if this was ever resolved. I'm encountering it myself here: http://www.uschillel.org/

I have rotation turned on and also have the image set in ATO to link to the home page. Using the latest version of Atahualpa (3.6.7)

I know they don't want to turn off the rotation...

Thanks!

Rick

juggledad Sep 13, 2011 04:29 AM

No. The jscript that causes it was lifted from the Internet and it's author has acknoledved the issue and abandoned it.

You could put a widget area in the header - replacing the images - and try the. Plugin 'dynamic header'

Gushina Nov 5, 2011 06:39 AM

Thanks, Juggledad! I am having the same problem and will try your suggestion.

Blessings,

Gushina:)

measure2x Sep 13, 2013 01:33 PM

I'm trying to solve this also. I'm running 3.7.9.

Not finding any plugin called "Dynamic Header", but there's a "Dynamic Widget" and "WP Display Header".

I'm willing to pay someone to fix this, if necessary.

see it here: homegarden-journal.com

juggledad Sep 13, 2013 03:35 PM

http://wordpress.org/plugins/dynamic-headers/ was the one

measure2x Sep 16, 2013 04:48 PM

Ok, I got it installed and followed the instructions for the plugin and have come to this:

"You have 2 options for adding your dynamic header:

Option 1 (Recommended): Simply drop the this line of code into your theme file that controls your header (usually header.php)

Note: The location to add this code can vary widely from theme to theme and depending on your theme's css settings you may have to use Option 2 and modify the CSS of your theme **BACKUP ANY THEME FILES BEFORE MODIFYING**

<?php if(function_exists('show_media_header')){ show_media_header(); } ?>

This will automatically determine what type of media you are using and generate the appropriate code to insert it. No other coding is required on your part.

Option 2: You can use this line of code to simply get the URL of the media for a particular post or page. This will allow you to do some more advanced things and embed the media yourself if you know what you are doing.

<?php if(function_exists('dh_get_page_image_url')){ $dynamic_header_url = dh_get_page_image_url(); } ?>

You can then use the variable $dynamic_header_url however you see fit. It will contain the full path to your media file for that particular page/post, including any default media that should be shown.
It is advised that most users simply use Option 1 if at all possible, as it is significantly more simple.
Note: This function can return NULL or the string 'None' if there are no headers for the current page.

Important Notes: On archive pages, the header media is controlled by the first post in the list. We plan to add control for archives pages separately in a future release, but for now, be aware that the first post on an archives page controls that page's header. "

So where the heck to I stick this code? I'm thinking in bta_header_config.php - but, where? And will this negate the rotating images?

Thanks!!!

juggledad Sep 16, 2013 05:14 PM

replace the %image in the 'configure header area' option with a new widget area
add a text widget or a php aware widget to the new widget area
if not using a php aware widget, install the plugin 'exec-php'
add the code they give you to the widget

What you will have done is replaced Atahualpa's header processing with the dynamic header processing.

measure2x Sep 17, 2013 11:33 AM

Ok, you lost me. I'll just post this on Elance.

juggledad Sep 17, 2013 01:05 PM

really? this should take 5 to 10 minute
1) install the plugin 'exec-php' and activate it
2) in the 'configure header area' option , remove the %image and replace it with
HTML Code:

<?php bfa_widget_area('name=dynamic header area'); ?>
3) go view the site (this enables the widget area
4) go to dashboard->appearances->widgets
5) add a TEXT widget to the 'Dynamic Header Area' widget area
6) add your code to the text widget
7) test it out.

measure2x Sep 17, 2013 03:10 PM

Ok, but now it doesn't rotate through the images. The header is linked to the home page, but it's static on one image.

Rotating images is a nice touch, but if it's this much of a pain to get it hyperlinked I'm just going to abandon it.

Thanks for trying Juggledad!!!!