Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Sidebars & Widgets (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Side Bar & Widget went wild.... (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=16750)

ScalableSite Feb 13, 2012 06:59 PM

Side Bar & Widget went wild....

I installed Atahualpa theme 3.7.3, at the Appearance menu, there is an Atahualpa (ATA) option which allows you to change things around and color. After I changed the width of the header, I imported to WP.org dash board from WP.com. Old theme on WP.com is not the same theme as WP.org. I use Atahualpa theme. Old theme has 3 right side bars and footer, new theme has left and right side bars, once I moved the file, my site turned into 5 side bars, I don't even have much room for posting. I de-installed WP, and re-installed again, now I can have a fresh start.

1/ Old theme is from Caraline, should I install Caraline theme in WP.org first, then import all the content. Once every thing is in place, I changed the theme? Or do you have a better way to do it?
2/ At the ATA option Menu,
Export settings as file
Export the current Atahualpa settings and download them as a text file. This text file can be imported into this or another Atahualpa 3.4.7+ installation:

Export & Download Atahualpa Settings File

The file will be named ata-7422021957-20120213.txt. After you downloaded it, you can (but don't need to) rename the file to something more meaningful.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Import Atahualpa settings file
Upload a Atahualpa settings file from your desktop computer and import it:
SINCE 3.6.5: Paste the content of a settings file here into this textarea and click 'Import'

PHP file functions cannot be used anymore in themes listed on wordpress.org, so we had to remove file operations from Atahualpa (Upload isn't enough, Atahualpa needs to read the file, too). Instead of uploading a settings file you now need to copy the content of the settings file instead, and paste it into the textarea below, finally click 'Import Settings'.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** Do I need to export and import ATA Setting file? What are those files for?
3/How can I install widget which I don't see it in Widget menus?

Thanks,
Scalable Site:confused

lmilesw Feb 13, 2012 07:05 PM

The content has nothing to do with the theme. If you are moving from wordpress.com to a self hosted WordPress installation you would
  • Export wordpress.com site content
  • Install WordPress on your self hosted site
  • Install your theme on the self hosted site
  • Import the content you exported
  • Configure the new site for look and feel

ScalableSite Feb 13, 2012 07:15 PM

I did as you said last night. It caught me off guard. When I import over, do I need to have the same theme? I can't set the Home menu, because I am using the temporary address.
The thing is I don't know why did it create 2 more side bars? Do I need to follow thru # 2 item? I have the updated version.

lmilesw Feb 13, 2012 07:33 PM

You are going to have to get a better understanding of themes and content and paths and how they relate when moving a site. Again the theme has nothing to do with the content other than display it in a certain way. You don't necessarily need the same theme but no matter what you do will probably have some configuration changes to make.