Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Montezuma Theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Homepage name and link & postformat-aside question (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=19278)

josie Jan 7, 2013 08:24 AM

Homepage name and link & postformat-aside question

Dear, dear all
I really like this theme. Though a reasonable amount of blood, sweat and tears have been spoiled, I have learned so much. I want to thank you all very much for your help and assistance that I got while reading and learning from the forum.
my website: http://dating-profiel.com/
Still some questions:

1. My home page seems to be called 'blog'. How do I change the name of my front-page to e.g. Welkom so that that name shows up in the breadcrumbs?

2. I would actually really like to have a separate 'blog' page with all the blogposts on it. I thought I might use the Index page for this, but that doesn't seem to work. Is this not possible? I really want to have a link in the menu on top to my 'blog' page, if I can get one. Or else, some sort of categories page with all the categories or something. Some fast way for people to get to the blogposts.

3. I have made a new front-page based on the Index template. I wanted to see if I could put multiple posts in two columns (or even more), using more of the 'notations' in the second 'row' by using the 'postformat-aside. (by pasting <?php bfa_loop( 'aside' ); ?> the front-page template) It's not showing up. Any ideas why? Is this even possible? You can see what I want to do on the front page because the navigation for the posts do show up.

I hope you can help me. thank you

jerryc Jan 7, 2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josie (Post 94629)
3. I have made a new front-page based on the Index template. I wanted to see if I could put multiple posts in two columns (or even more), using more of the 'notations' in the second 'row' by using the 'postformat-aside. (by pasting <?php bfa_loop( 'aside' ); ?> the front-page template) It's not showing up. Any ideas why? Is this even possible? You can see what I want to do on the front page because the navigation for the posts do show up.

I only use wp as a cms for pages and don't know anything about posts, so I can't answer your first two questions.

As far as column layouts, no theme has anywhere near the layout options that Montezuma has. Besides the theme's basic grid system which allows you to divide your page into any number of columns as long as the total adds up to 12 widths, you can also nest the grids (as long as you use percentage widths in your grid settings), giving you an almost unlimited options of layouts.

What's especially nice about this is you don't need to write any new css code. The theme already includes all the css code you need, and browsers already knows how to handle the nested grids. All you have to do is create your layout.

I hope this helps.

josie Jan 9, 2013 02:04 AM

The lay-out is there, I figured that out, but I would like to use the postformat-aside to put into the other columns. Is this possible?

Can nobody help me with the other question? Almost everybody has found an answer to it, I can see on the showcases. I would really appreciate it.

josie Jan 9, 2013 03:09 AM

I just read somewhere that the sub templates do not work. Is this still true? I have been spending a lot of time getting this to work so it would be rather nice if someone could tell me straight what is going on.

Can I or can I not use the aside template in the main template??

juggledad Jan 9, 2013 04:20 AM

Quote:

1. My home page seems to be called 'blog'. How do I change the name of my front-page to e.g. Welkom so that that name shows up in the breadcrumbs?
there are two ways to do this
1) edit the theme code (breadcrumbs.php line 95) and change it there or
2) use a 'po' and translate 'Blog' to what ever that way - the 'pot' is in the 'languages' sub folder
if you don't know about 'po's and 'pot's you will need to do some reading on WordPress.org and google the terms also.

juggledad Jan 9, 2013 04:23 AM

Quote:

I just read somewhere that the sub templates do not work. Is this still true? I have been spending a lot of time getting this to work so it would be rather nice if someone could tell me straight what is going on.
as far as I have seen they work.

josie Jan 15, 2013 05:21 AM

when you add a new subtemplate, the .php is not added. Adding it manually doesn't work.

juggledad Jan 15, 2013 05:39 AM

don't worry about the missing .php it still works (this has been reported to the developer)

jerryc Jan 15, 2013 09:03 AM

Two comments:

!. If you make one called foo, then delete it, you'll see the message "successfully deleted foo.php" flash by. So, the .php suffix is really there, it's just not showing in the list.

2. Please post new issues on new threads, so others can find them easier. Thanks.