Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Forum How-To (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Specific font for Hebrew text (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=16974)

liolio Mar 9, 2012 05:34 AM

Specific font for Hebrew text

Hi Everyone,

I admin a site powered with atahualpa: www.svaka.org I use wpml for the different languages of the site, so far english and french, and I use the HELVETICA font for both versions.
Now, I want to start the Hebrew version of the site, and i automatically get a terrible font ! How can I set a specific Hebrew font ? Does anybody have a clue ? (I tried wpml forum but without succes so far...)
Thanks in advance !

lmilesw Mar 9, 2012 05:51 AM

It looks like you are running Atahualpa 3.6.7 and don't have some of the patches installed. Adding those patches or MANUALLY upgrading to to 3.7.3 would be my first step.

Before doing either I suggest a backup of your site and again if you decide to upgrade use the manual method so you can switch back if things aren't quite right.

liolio Mar 9, 2012 07:46 AM

Ok, i did the upgrade to 3.7.3. For the moment the hebrew font still the same, the one by default obviously.

lmilesw Mar 9, 2012 08:47 AM

This may have to do with the RTL nature of Hebrew. This article explains more and has some suggestions.

liolio Mar 10, 2012 02:37 AM

Thank you Imilesw, but rtl or ltr is not really my problem, it's just how to change the default font, but thanks for the article you sent, it's good to have it. I eventually posted my question to wpml forum. best

liolio Mar 10, 2012 05:38 AM

ps : stupidly i didn't check with different browsers... Actually what i call a "terrible font" appears only with firefox and on mac, on a pc the font is different and ok... !?! so do you think this can be fixed with some css code to insert into the atahualpa options ?

lmilesw Mar 10, 2012 06:15 AM

I would suspect it is how the HELVETICA font is being rendered for Macs. For a test try another font.

liolio Mar 10, 2012 10:51 AM

well, obviously it's a problem mac/firefox. I tried with times or courier fonts, doesn't make any difference. Also in the style.css file of the theme i inserted this :

.hebrew {
font-family:"Agudal";
}

but without success... i'm not sure of this patch... i guess i have to warn the people on mac not to use firefox for my site ; ) !!!

juggledad Mar 10, 2012 11:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The site looks the same to me on both the mac and pc
mac - safari + firefox
PC - ie8 + firefox
here is a screen shot for MAC/firefox
Attachment 1783

liolio Mar 12, 2012 03:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
thks juggledad. Here is how it looks on my mac, see attachment. So it s something wrong w my mac ?! Strange, but it's ok if only on my mac ! so, maybe we can close this topic. again, many thanks, best.

juggledad Mar 12, 2012 04:49 AM

I'm not seeing a big difference from what I posted and your image...

liolio Apr 5, 2012 06:48 AM

Hi again, so now rtl is my problem (!) Imilesw, thanks for the article, and I followed the instructions and now my website is flipped over when hebrew is selected, except the title, tagline and menus ! some css issues probably, do you have any clue, many thanks...