Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   [SOLVED] Link colours will not change. Some help please? (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=5765)

SamuelGoh Feb 8, 2010 01:16 AM

[SOLVED] Link colours will not change. Some help please?

Hi, I've tried going to Atahualpa options and Body, Text and Link. Then going on to change the link colour and hover colour, as well as underlining the link. However, no matter how many times I change it and save it, the link colours on my webpage are still default (they have already changed on the options page).

What should I do? Also, how do I create another colour after the link has been clicked on?

Lastly, is there a way to remove the default link icon - the gray box?

my site is samuelgoh.com is you need some references. I appreciate any help!!! Thanks!

juggledad Feb 8, 2010 07:13 AM

there are links and there are links and then there are links. I know that seems confusing, but you need to understand the difference between the parts that make up WordPress.

In it's simplest form, a WordPress blog contains Posts and Pages and a theme. The theme controls how the basic part of the blog appears. You can also add in plugins that do many wonderful things and expand the functionality of your site but...(don't you just hate the 'but's?)

all this code is written by different people and people tend to do things in different ways and use different naming conventions. This is the rub. Atahualpa can only control the things it knows about and the style of plugins that match the Atahualpa naming conventions. And of course, computers being dumb, will only do what you tell them to do.

To style something, you have to give it a 'class' or 'id'. If I write some code and give all the links a class of 'link-color', I could create a CSS rule to change set all the link colors if one place. But if I add a plugin and the other programmer gives his links the class of 'color-for-link' then my rule wont match his link and it won't change his links. (sigh if only it were easy...)

This is what is happening in your case. The Atahualpa option ' Body, Text and Link' will change all the links that use the Atahualpa names. If you put a link in one of your posts, Atahualpa will know about it, but when you are dealing with plugins (like the 'Recent Posts', 'Archives', and 'Tags' plugins) the css classes might not match so the Atahualpa styles might not work.

Atahualpa has set up a number of places that styling can be done, and one area is styling the sidebars. You need to look at ATO->Style WIDGETS because there is some styling that will change the color of sidebar widgets that use a standard naming cnvention. So if you set the style for links there, you will find some widgets will pick-up the styling and others won't.

In the case of widgets that don't pickup thestyling, you will have to look at the generated code for the widget and create a CSS selector and rule to change the color for that widget and add it to ATO->Add HTML/CSS Inserts->CSS Inserts

Hope this helps

SamuelGoh Feb 8, 2010 06:23 PM

Hi JuggleDad Thanks for replying!

I understand what you're saying; that the widgets have individual codes that Atahualpa codes cannot overwrite in order to change the colour and I'll have to insert my own code in order to change it.

I'm now on the ATO->Style Widgets page and on Widget List Items there are options to change the Link text and Link hover colour. However, no matter what colour I change it to, it can only change in a range of grayscale.

What CSS code can I put in to change the colour? (I'm new at this and reading CSS for dummies doesn't help!)

Also, how can I remove the rectangular box in front of every link?

Thanks for your help and I will donate!

juggledad Feb 9, 2010 04:43 AM

when you use the color picker, there are two boxes each having a slider, have you tried both?
Try typing in '00ffff' and see if the box goes to a pale blue

SamuelGoh Feb 9, 2010 10:28 PM

yes, it turns blue. What I did now is edit the link and hover colour but only the icon beside the link turn blue.

You can have a look at www.samuelgoh.com

How can I remove that rectangular icon?

SamuelGoh Feb 10, 2010 05:02 AM

hi benivolent,

will I find that code in editor? (which .php?)

juggledad Feb 10, 2010 05:05 AM

go to ATO->Style WIDGETS->Widget List Items and set 'Widget List Items for Links' to '0'

SamuelGoh Feb 10, 2010 05:59 AM

Thanks juggledad that worked well!