Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Header configuration & styling (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   [SOLVED] Tried to change bfa_header_config.php now site down (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=12665)

tokshra Feb 6, 2011 09:58 PM

[SOLVED] Tried to change bfa_header_config.php now site down

I was trying to put an image in the header section of my site: umarketingu.com...through the editor.

I always make a copy of code in case I mess something up...and I still have that...BUT as soon as I updated, my site is completely down.

When I go into cpanel, there is not much left of the atahul 353 site....when entering URL I get the following error message:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /home/quickpen/public_html/umarketingu.com/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/functions/bfa_header_config.php on line 146

I can't even login to my blog, just get the error message....can you tell me how to get this back? As I said, I have the original code, but can't access the site to change it back.

I was using the editor: bfa_header_config.php/ What is ecode?

lmilesw Feb 6, 2011 10:13 PM

All the editing for the Atahualpa theme should, for the most part, be done in the theme options. If you edited your bfa_header_config.php file I would suggest the following.
  • Download a copy of the same version of the theme you installed
  • Unzip it
  • Replace your current bfa_header_config.php with the one from the downloaded copy
  • You should now be able to access your site.
  • Now look through the theme options for information on where to put header images, etc.

tokshra Feb 6, 2011 10:32 PM

The files are all gone on cpanel...I cannot login to the site the normal way as the login screen won't come up? So, where do I upload the theme to? All the directories in cpanel are empty...?

tokshra Feb 6, 2011 11:04 PM

I would just change themes if I could get into my site...can you tell me how to do that to change the theme?

juggledad Feb 7, 2011 04:10 AM

You need to FTP to the site. If cpanel has an FTP section, you can use that. If you delete the Atahualpa folder from the 'wp-config/themes' folder, WordPress will default back to the Twenty-Ten theme (as long as you haven't deleted it). If you have FTP access you can also go into the Atahualpa folder and rename'index.php' to 'oldindex.php' and you should default back to twenty-ten.

Using the WordPress editor and making a change to one module of Atahualpa can not effect the other modules. If it did, I would get a new host.

('e code' was a mistyping of 'the code')

tokshra Feb 7, 2011 07:40 AM

OK, here's what I did...uploaded theme version 3.53 to my server (the files were all empty from the other one)...changed index.php to oldindex.php...still get the same error message?

I have not deleted 20/10, it's still there on server...do I need to change index.php to oldindex.php on all the themes?

This site is 3 years worth of content..I really don't want to lose all of it...yes, I have a backup, but it won't upload either.

I am really getting frustrated with this.

juggledad Feb 7, 2011 07:55 AM

Ok, take a deep breath, your data should be safe because it is in the database, not the theme files.
You do do regular database backups...right?

you should have a folder called wp-content
--wp-content
in it is the themes folder
--wp-content
----themes
In that folder you will find a file called index.php (don't touch this) and some other folders
--wp-content
----themes
------index.php
------atahualpa
------twentyten
in the atahualpa fold are a bunch of files and folders. One of the filed is called 'index.php'. This is the file that starts of the processing for the theme and every theme has one. If you change it's name (like from index.php to oldindex.php) the theme can not run and WordPress will switch to the TwentyTen theme.

If you haven't added any images to the Atahualpa folder, you can just delete the folder and it's contents. When WordpPress tries to activate it, it will realize it is not there and will switch to...you guessed it, the TwentyTen theme (his is why you never get rid of the default theme).

You can then reinstall Atahualpa and re-activate it. Your styling will all be there because it is stored in the database.

(you did do a database backup right?

tokshra Feb 7, 2011 08:10 AM

I have done all that....yes, I have a backup (was daily until this happened, so it is a couple of days old now)....I still can't login?

I deleted the Atahualpa 3.53 and re-uploaded still nothing....still getting the same message when trying to login: [i]Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /home/quickpen/public_html/umarketingu.com/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/functions/bfa_header_config.php on line 146 [i]

It doesn't revert back to 20/10

tokshra Feb 7, 2011 08:12 AM

Never mind, I contacted my host and they corrected whatever was wrong. Thanks for your help, I will be making a donation!