Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Center area post/pages (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Categories in center area (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=20492)

timdevogel Jun 12, 2013 08:18 AM

Categories in center area

I'd like to set up a site with in the center area categories, each starting with an excerpt and a thumbnail. For an example see www.nu.nl. Is this possible in Atahualpa and could you help me on this?

lmilesw Jun 12, 2013 12:28 PM

Here are some possible options which you would have to "Play with" to determine if they would do what you want.
  • Juggledad's Custom Query template that is part of Ata 3.7.12
  • TPG Get Posts plugin
  • List Category Posts plugin
  • Use manual excerpts with featured images
All of these will need to be coupled with the proper CSS to display as you want of course.

timdevogel Jun 13, 2013 04:39 AM

Thanks, I'll look into that.

badmash Jun 19, 2013 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilesw (Post 101515)
Here are some possible options which you would have to "Play with" to determine if they would do what you want.
[list][*]Juggledad's Custom Query template that is part of Ata 3.7.12
<...>

I am probably looking for something similar - I want to combine static welcome text with the latest posts (blogroll) on my home page. I am using 3.7.1 Atahualpa and can't risk an update at the moment. Is there a way to implement Custom Query template in my case, or any other solution?

I found possible solution with editing page.php file, but my theme doesn't have one. I would appreciate some help on that. Thank you.

lmilesw Jun 19, 2013 06:01 AM

You could search for a "latest posts" plugin or use one of the latest posts widgets on a page by using a plugin that lets you put widgets on pages.

you are on a release that is eleven (11) versions behind and coming on 2 years old.....

timdevogel Jun 26, 2013 06:10 AM

Okay, I've been looking into this, and I think you guys put me on the right track, but I need some help. How do I set up Juggledad's Custom Query template that is part of Ata 3.7.12?

Also, I've decided to choose a different approach. Now, I'd like the first post on my home page in the center column to show a larger thumbnail and some text, both spanning the full width of that column. Then, beneath that, excerpts of the most recent posts with thumbnails devided over 2 columns.

So any new post shows up in the first area and, as new posts are added, moves down to the smaller columns and eventually off the page.

Am I right in thinking that this can be done with Juggledad's Custom Query template?

timdevogel Jul 2, 2013 08:27 AM

Still waiting for an answer.... Vacation time?

juggledad Jul 2, 2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

How do I set up Juggledad's Custom Query template that is part of Ata 3.7.12?
see TEMPLATE: Multi Column/Custom Query
Quote:

Am I right in thinking that this can be done with Juggledad's Custom Query template?
other than the featured image size, yes it will work. You may need to play with things for the featured image