Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Header configuration & styling (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Blocked Out Of My Site (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=4632)

ChrisPanimation Nov 27, 2009 02:24 PM

Blocked Out Of My Site

Hi, I just joined BFA. I'm having a major issue...I can no longer manage or see my blog after trying to hard code a widget into the bfa_header_config.php. I'm using Atahualpa.

I was trying to add a widget to the header area - I added the minimum code (<?php bfa_widget_area('name=My new widget area'); ?>) somewhere in the bfa_header_config.php.

I tried to get help from my Service provider (Rogers Yahoo) because I access and manage my WP blog through them. This is part of the message the support sent me.

"We did review the scripts.log files located the /logs folder of your
account to see what the issue was. In the scripts.log file we found the
following error:

parse error, unexpected '<' in
/blog/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/functions/bfa_header_config.php

It appears there is an error with the files for a theme named
'atahualpa'. Please contact the creators of this theme, or the WordPress
support team for anymore information on this error."

Could you please assist me in what to do next. I'm completely blocked out of manageing my site and my site is completely off line.:confused:

Thanks,
Chris

Liston Nov 27, 2009 02:30 PM

Hopefully I am not saying something stupid here, but I would just upload a fresh copy of bfa_header_config.php using your ftp program.

juggledad Nov 27, 2009 02:43 PM

Liston is right, just upload a fresh copy of bfa_header_config.php and once that is done you will be ok.

Why are you putting the widget in bfa_header_config.php? That code should go in the options. If you want to add a new widget area to the header, insert that code at ATO->Style & edit HEADER AREA->Configure Header Area

Look at the documentation on the 'Add new WIDGET AREAS' :
Quote:

In addition to the existing widget areas (the sidebars) you can add additional widget areas, i.e. in the header area, the center column or the footer area. This page here only explains how to use this feature. To actually add a new widget area you'll have to go to one of the following menu tabs:

Style & edit HEADER AREA: Put the code into the text area named "Configure Header Area".

ChrisPanimation Nov 27, 2009 02:56 PM

Sorry guys, I'm pretty green here. Where do I get a fresh copy of bfa_header_config.php and where on my ftp to I put it? This is obviously something that is really simple - I just haven't had these issues before.

And thanks Juggledad. Once I get it up and running again I will try to get the header widget working again. I did try that already but it wasn't working for me - I was just getting a code in my header area. Do I replace the %logo with the code?

Thanks,
Chris

paulae Nov 27, 2009 03:09 PM

Go here and download the theme to your hard drive: http://wordpress.bytesforall.com/?p=81

I'm assuming you're already using version 3.4.4.

Unzip the file and look in the functions folder for the file, and upload it to the same folder on your site, over-writing the messed-up file. I'm assuming that you have FTP access?

ChrisPanimation Nov 27, 2009 04:11 PM

Thank you !! I'm certainly going to donate.

paulae Nov 27, 2009 04:13 PM

Flynn and Juggledad do an amazing job in here, don't they? We "regular" members do try to help each other out, since we're all learning this stuff as we go along.

Let us know how it works out, OK?

ChrisPanimation Nov 27, 2009 04:18 PM

I will...I've been trying to add a widget to my header area. I just want to add an add banner in the center of the header between the logo image and the rss. I did read the documentation but still wasn't getting it right. I'll try again...

Thanks,
Chris

Liston Nov 27, 2009 04:39 PM

As said above we get great support here. Above and beyond really.

Are you using the logo and the rss feed. You could do something like this www.thega.co.uk and just have a banner at the top.

If you donate $40 you can get yourself into the Themeframe beta (have a look at the threads in the Themeframe presales forum) - from the looks of things it will make sticking widgets in different places easier.

juggledad Nov 27, 2009 05:27 PM

Quote:

Do I replace the %logo with the code?
you can use both.
1) Add it into the 'Configure Header area' so it will look like this
HTML Code:

%bar1 %logo %bar1 %image %bar2 <?php bfa_widget_area('name=My new widget area'); ?> %bar2
(you can put things in any order you want.
2) go view th e home page - it won't show up yet, but this establishes the 'area'
3) go tto the dashboard->appearances->Widgets and you will see a new widget area titles 'My new widget area' (Personally I'd call it something like 'Header banner area' in the name=...)
4) add the widget you want into the widget area
5) go view the page and it will be there

If you ever want to get rid of it, the process is reversed sort of
1) remove the widget from the widget area
2) remove the widget code from the area you put it in (in this case it was the 'Configure Header area'
3) go view the page
4) go to ATO->Add New WIDGET AREAS->Delete custom Widget Areas and press teh 'Delete checked Widget Areas'
5) view your home page again and when you go back to the 'Add New WIDGET AREAS' it will be gone.

ChrisPanimation Nov 27, 2009 07:56 PM

Hi Juggledad, wouldn't that give me a widget between bar2 and bar2? What I was hopeing for is to place a widget inside the logo table itself - between the my logo image and the rss feed. This is my site

animcareerpro.com/blog

the widget (to be an add banner) in the big white space.

paulae Nov 27, 2009 08:34 PM

I did it that way once but I had to hard-code a 2 cell table in order to hold a logo image and an ad banner. It's better not to do things that way, because then you have to do the code change again when there is a theme upgrade.

I have my logo as an image at the top, then the ad:
%image <?php bfa_widget_area('name=top760_ad'); ?> %pages %cats %bar2

http://larchmontgazette.com

Maybe Juggledad can think of a way to put an image and an ad side by side in one row, and just don't use the %logo part.

ChrisPanimation Nov 27, 2009 09:17 PM

Well I won't be hard-coding for a while. Every time I try things go south, plus I want to upgrade my theme worry free.

I like your solution, it's nice and clean looking - your site looks fantastic. I guess for now we have to stack things one top of another (at least in the header). I won't knock the theme, I think it has the best options and flexibility. I tried a bunch of others and the flexibility doesn't compare so I'm sticking with Atahualpa!

Thanks again for your help,
Chris

juggledad Nov 28, 2009 04:49 AM

You can put the code anywhere, consider each of the items (%bar1, %logo, %pages) as an parameter. The entre line of code is also a parameter. You can put the parameters in any order as many times as you want (i.e '%logo %bar1 %bar1 %bar1 %logo %logo %bar1')

The post in the gold forum - How to overlay the LOGO on the Header Image in versions 3.4->3.4.4 - could probably be used to overlay the logo image over a widget area also. It might take a little tweeking, but I'm pretty sure it is do able. (any one want to fund me to do it?)

ChrisPanimation Nov 30, 2009 11:27 AM

I'm going to go with the simpler solution that Paulae suggested for now - but I will likely call you up on that another time, and fund you.

Chris