Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   New Versions, & Updating (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   [SOLVED] Lost 3rd column? (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=24019)

eplouie Apr 12, 2018 12:58 AM

[SOLVED] Lost 3rd column?

I am using Atahualpa version: 3.7.24 for my WordPress blog.

For the most part, I really like the way it’s designed, and the interface to access it.

My biggest problem right now is that it’s no longer a 3 column blog layout.

Somehow or another, the 3 column (with the log-in option) disappeared and I don’t know how to get it back.

Perhaps this theme isn't fully compatible with WP version 4.9.5?

juggledad Apr 12, 2018 05:28 PM

1) when did you switch to Version 3.7.24
2) Did you have three columns at one point?
- if so what have you updated?
- try disabling all plugins to see if there is a conflict
3) what is the URL?

can you go to ATO->Export/Import export your settings and attach them to a reply

eplouie Apr 22, 2018 02:20 AM

Thank Jugglehead for responding!

I didn't realize there was a response.... I didn't see an email notification.

I'm not sure when I switched to switch to Version 3.7.24

Yes, I absolutely had 3 columns on my blog.

I'm not sure when I updated... I blame my webhosting company for pushing automatic updates on WP software.

I have 5 plug-ins:

Akismet Anti-Spam - Version 4.0.2
Hello Dolly - Version 1.6 (NOT ACTIVE)
Jetpack by WordPress.com - Version 4.2.2
WP Super Cache - Version 1.4.8
WPForms Lite - Version 1.4.3

3 of the 4 plug-ins are older versions that could be updated, but I haven't done so yet.
Do you recommend disabling or deleting?

The website is http://www.louielouie.net/blog/

Here's a cached version from Wayback Machine that had 3 columns
https://web.archive.org/web/20171127...ouie.net/blog/

juggledad Apr 22, 2018 03:49 AM

degugging 101 - disable ALL plugins and see if that fixes it. If it does, turn them on one (or two) at a time to find the culprit.

If that has no effect:
go to ATO->
- Style & edit HEADER AREA
- Style & edit CENTER COLUMN
- Style & edit FOOTER AREA
and hit the green SAVE button for each one, then

go to dashboard->appearances->widgets and look at the 'right' widget area and see if your widgets are there. If they are not, they are in the 'inactive widgets section.

If the widgets are in the right widget area, go to ATO->Export/Import - export your settings and attach them to a reply

eplouie Apr 24, 2018 12:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I disabled all the plugins, and it didn't make a difference.

I took at look at ATO-> HEADER AREA +CENTER COLUMN + FOOTER AREA but didn't see anything that seemed like any obvious problems.

I'm enclosing the ATO settings export as an attachment.

I also created PDF summaries of the "ATO-> HEADER AREA +CENTER COLUMN + FOOTER AREA" menu, which I could also send as a ZIP file.

eplouie Apr 24, 2018 02:02 AM

Unfortunately I wasn't able to send the PDF summaries as they were too large to be sent as attachments on this forum

juggledad Apr 25, 2018 04:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
1) there is an issue with your settings (this is an old issue) which I fixed in your settings.
- Download the attached file
- open it in a TEXT editor
- copy the contents
- go to ATO->Export/Import->Import Atahualpa settings file
- paste the settings and press the 'Import Settings' button
- go look to see if it is fixed.

I do not think this is your issue, but it needs to be fixed

2) did you check to see if the widgets were in the widget area and not the 'inactive' widget area?
Quote:

WordPress created a new requirement for themes - dealing with widgets - that had to be included in themes or your theme would fail the review and not be approved. And it effects your widgets.

If you go to your widgets page, you should see all your widgets in the 'inactive widgets' area - you can just drag them back to the sidebars.
-- this was taken from a sticky post from back in May of 2015 in the "Installation/Upgrade Issues" forum with the title "Sidebar reset after upgrading to version 3.7.24 "

eplouie May 23, 2018 01:04 AM

OK, I'm bacK....

I followed the suggestions and imported the recommended data.

When I tried to fix/ re-add the widgets to the right sidebar, I saw this message..

"Your theme has 3 other widget areas, but this particular page doesn’t display them.

You can navigate to other pages on your site while using the Customizer to view and edit the widgets displayed on those pages."

LEFT SIDEBAR was the only active area for widgets.

eplouie May 23, 2018 01:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Actually, it looks like the widgits the right sidebar should be active, but they are not.

eplouie May 23, 2018 01:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the menu option that mentioned only one location for widgets.

juggledad May 23, 2018 03:55 AM

if you send me an admin ID/PW I'll take a look.

juggledad Jun 10, 2018 06:06 PM

The issue here was that the footer.php file was missing (timed out upgrade??) Once the file was replaced in the theme folder the sidebar has returned.