Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Montezuma Theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Breadcrumbs (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=18537)

Tommyt Oct 2, 2012 07:50 AM

Breadcrumbs

Hi,

Loving this theme!

Just after a bit of help please?

How do i get the breadcrumbs to start with a different page rather than Blog - I.E about?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Tommy

juggledad Oct 2, 2012 12:49 PM

In the wordpress options, change what the front page displays

Tommyt Oct 2, 2012 02:04 PM

Thanks juggledad.

New it would be easy :)

Another question, if i want to add a div above the sidebar, where do i add the css and html code?

I tried adding it to the layout.css but this doesn;t appear on my page. I need to create a seperate div so i can add some additional code.

Thanks

Tommy.

juggledad Oct 2, 2012 02:35 PM

why not add a text widget and put your div in that then you don't have to touch the code

Tommyt Oct 3, 2012 05:25 AM

Good thinking, thats exactly what i shall do, the only problem is that i want to display different content within that div per post?

I.E a different Image and text for each one, any idea?

Thanks

Tommy.

juggledad Oct 3, 2012 06:15 AM

where are you going to get the image and text from?

Tommyt Oct 3, 2012 06:23 AM

I'm not sure, probably just use static text and HTML to retrieve image.

Or is there a better way?

Thanks

juggledad Oct 3, 2012 06:47 AM

just wanted to point out if you are looking to have different content per post, you will have to update it each time you add a post. How long will it take for that to become old. Same goes for an image.

what you need to ask yourself is why are you going to do this?

is it to show on single post pages or multi post pages? and what about 'page' pages?

if single post pages - isn't all the info from the post already there.
for multi post pages - which ppost do you get it from?
'page' pages - what post will you pick it from?

jerryc Oct 6, 2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommyt (Post 90726)
... i want to display different content within that div per post?

I.E a different Image and text for each one, any idea?

Tommy, I'm with jug. If the content of this div going to be different for each post, you may want to consider just working that div into the content area. If it's small and you want to make it more like a sidebar, you could even float it to one side. Depending upon how you do the css, you could have the rest of the content wrap your div, like it were an image, or just keep your div in a separate column.

There are almost always some compromises using wordpress themes (or any cms) but the compromises are usually worth the tradeoff of not having to code the whole site from scratch with a text editor.

gorsehillMike May 12, 2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juggledad (Post 90684)
In the wordpress options, change what the front page displays

Sorry to dig this one up. I'm having the exact problem that was so easily solved. I'd like the home link to refer it of the blog area and instead refer to the mother site.

I have a static traditional site and I've tried to integrate the blog within it. It'll never be completely seamless but I can live with that. I am really pleased with my progress over the weekend and I've slowly conquered most puzles it's put my way but this question of setting the 'home' link in wordpress options has me stumped.

I know the explanations seems straightforward but I can't find the setting for determining what to display.

Cheers in advance.

The website is http://www.gorsehill-labour.co.uk

juggledad May 12, 2013 06:38 PM

so create a custom Wordpress menu (dashboard->appearances->menu) and add a custom menu item: call it home and put a link to the mainsite there.

gorsehillMike May 13, 2013 02:03 AM

Thanks Juggledad

I've misunderstood Tommy's original question - what I'm after is for the home icon in breadcrumbs to refer to the main site rather than front page of wordpress. It may be that can't be done without a huge investment of time.

I've done the menu as you suggest and whilst I'll want to tweak it stylistically, you're right to identify it as an easy compromise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommyt (Post 90658)

How do i get the breadcrumbs to start with a different page rather than Blog - I.E about?

Tommy

juggledad May 13, 2013 05:34 AM

you could edit '/includes/breadcrumbs.php' and change line 11 (version 1.1.9)
HTML Code:

echo '<ol><li class="bc-home"><a href="' . home_url() . '">' . $home . '</a></li>';
replacing the 'home_url()' with the address of your main site.