Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   New Versions, & Updating (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   WP 3.1 upgrade = blank page (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=12977)

Grum Feb 25, 2011 02:00 AM

WP 3.1 upgrade = blank page

I just upgraded my ATA 3.64 site to WP 3.1 yesterday, and everything looked fine. But when I try to access the site today, all I see is a blank background gif.
Is this the 'Suhosin blank page' issue described in other threads, or is there something else going on?

juggledad Feb 25, 2011 04:01 AM

Yes it looks like you have the Suhosin issue. Did you have a php.ini in the wordpress root? It may have been wiped out by the upgrade.

Grum Feb 28, 2011 05:57 AM

I've been too busy to have a play with this over the weekend, but I have just managed to get the site back up by taking the following steps:

1. Did a manual re-install of WP3.1
2. Deactivated all plugins by renaming the plugins folder to 'plugins.hold' via FTP access.
3. I could now log in to the admin panel. The WP install screen said that it had still to finish updating the database, but that is presumably because I'd just done the manual re-install?
4. Still the same blank screen with ATA 3.6.4. I rolled back the theme to 3.5.3, and everything is working again.
5. Reactivated plugins one by one, none of them caused any problems. It definitely seems to be theme-related.

I did contact my web host, and was told that the server doesn't have suhosin installed, and that as my site is in a sub-directory, there isn't a php.ini file that would affect me(?). I certainly don't have access to it anyway.

**edit** supplemental - Having gone back to ATA 3.5.3, If I try and preview the 3.64 theme in the admin panel, I get a preview of the blank screen!

So, I'm not much further on in solving the problem, but at least I've got things running again for the moment.

Knut Sparhell Feb 28, 2011 12:10 PM

Having PHP use a local php.ini file doesn't have to do with your blog being in a subdirectory or not. This is a global setting for your server, allowing or not allowing your own php.ini, affecting all subdirs below its location, as long as PHP actually searches for it in the location it is stored.

Two things could help resolving the problem:
  1. The php error log. Are your able to turn on error logging, and access the log file?
  2. An URL pointing to a file on your server containing <?php phpinfo(); ?>

There are other issues than Suhoshin that might cause WordPress/Atahualpa to stop executing. The error log will usually reveal this problem. If not, the output of the phpinfo() function in a info.php file might give some clues for experts. The memory limit or other security modules of PHP are suspects.

Grum Mar 1, 2011 09:15 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, Knut.
This is a bit beyond my technical ability, and I don't have the time to fiddle with the site just now.
I'm going to leave it running ATA 3.5.3 for the moment until you boffin types come up with an easier solution to the problem. :)