Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Post-Kicker, -Byline & -Footer (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Footer on Single Post Pages > some of it is missing (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=1576)

StudioGal May 7, 2009 03:13 PM

Footer on Single Post Pages > some of it is missing

I've placed the following code in the area for "Footer: Single Post Pages":

%wp-print% | %wp-email%| %sociable% | <strong> Categories:</strong> %categories-linked(' , ')% |<br /> %comments('0 comments yet, your thoughts are welcome!', '1 comment so far, be the next!', '% comments - be the next!', 'Sorry, comments now closed')%

But the "comments" section is not showing up on those pages at all, just the part up to the "categories". Any idea what's going on here and how to fix it?

http://lindafarmer.com/2009/04/twitt...following.html

Thanks!!

juggledad May 8, 2009 05:21 AM

get rid of the <br />
i.e.
%wp-print% | %wp-email%| %sociable% | <strong> Categories:</strong> %categories-linked(' , ')% |%comments('0 comments yet, your thoughts are welcome!', '1 comment so far, be the next!', '% comments - be the next!', 'Sorry, comments now closed')%

StudioGal May 8, 2009 06:17 AM

Thanks for your response, but actually there's nothing wrong with the line break code - it works on the home page post sections.

It is also included in the examples of the code to use on the customization page.

I had just inserted that before I posted this question to see if it made any difference. But it didn't - the comments section is still not showing up on the single post page.

designer666 May 8, 2009 06:25 AM

I have an issue with my byline as well. In the single post page the author is linkable but in the homepage it is not. All I did was edit the homepage to show authors first and last name?

Any ideas.

Flynn May 8, 2009 07:40 AM

The comments link doesn't display anymore on single post pages, following the Wordpress convention that on single post pages the comments link doesn't make sense since the comments are on the same page anyway. Technically it does not display because the standard Wordpress template tags are being used now for better plugin compatibility. In 3.3.3 a "Skip to comments" link was added instead.

For the author, what's the code you put into "BYLINE: Homepage" and "BYLINE: Single Post Pages"?

StudioGal May 8, 2009 07:48 AM

Flynn, thanks for the explanation of why it isn't working. I thought it was something I was/wasn't doing.

I'm not sure I agree with the thinking, but I guess we can always put a "Leave a comment" prompt in the post itself ...

designer666 May 8, 2009 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flynn (Post 6324)
The comments link doesn't display anymore on single post pages, following the Wordpress convention that on single post pages the comments link doesn't make sense since the comments are on the same page anyway. Technically it does not display because the standard Wordpress template tags are being used now for better plugin compatibility. In 3.3.3 a "Skip to comments" link was added instead.

For the author, what's the code you put into "BYLINE: Homepage" and "BYLINE: Single Post Pages"?

Here is my bylines
BYLINE HOMEPAGE:

By %author-firstname% %author-lastname% on %date('F jS, Y')%

SINGLE POST:
By %author%, on %date('F jS, Y')%

Flynn May 8, 2009 09:29 AM

None of these is supposed to display a link. If you want something that is linked you'd have to use %author-link% or %author-posts-link%, or construct your own link by using something like <a href="%author-url%">%author-firstname% %author-lastname%</a>

designer666 May 8, 2009 09:54 AM

the single byline links to the authors community profile... (user-community plugin)

Flynn May 8, 2009 11:43 AM

That means the plugin successfully hooks into the WordPress function the_author() which I am using for %author%. That's a good thing, I rewrote the whole post info section of the theme to allow plugins to hook into them.

The other items aren't linked because the plugin probably doesn't hook into the other functions used there.

designer666 May 8, 2009 12:31 PM

is there a way to hook the author with their last name? Sorry i'm new at this.

Is it possible to have the authors pic show up in a post byline? with out having to use [printprofilepic] in the post.