Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   ThemeFrame Presales (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Pre-Sales Questions - Hope this is as good as it sounds :) (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=9732)

erics_dad Sep 17, 2010 04:24 PM

Pre-Sales Questions - Hope this is as good as it sounds :)

Hi all

I just signed up.

I'll explain what I'm after and hopefully Flynn or any of the mods(?) can answer if he's too busy.

1) I don't mean to start my Q's by mentioning a competitor but how does this compare with e.g. Artisteer?

2) Does TF come with either a) an Options page (ie functions.php) or b) (even better!) the ability to create an options page? If "no" to both, Flynn, you really ought to SERIOUSLY consider adding this functionality, even if it's just ** color picker for bg, ** color picker for text (a, a:visited, a:hover, etc.), load header, add resize images (timthumb.php), etc. etc. Please tell me TF has an options page that is modular and customizable :)

3) How flexible is it to add jquery javascripts, and add things like sliders, or add custom CSS to make hover effects, and so on....possible?

4) Can I create my own themes not only for myself, but to be able to sell as templates? Think WooThemes, et al. I'm currently developing my own themes in Photoshop and I was just going to tweak the TwentyTen theme (or similar GPL theme), add my own graphics, CSS styles, etc. but if TF can work like I think it can, it's even more powerful than Artisteer (which I own but don't care for much).

5) Does all the output code validate (xhtml/css) and I assume all is fully compatible with WP 3.0.*?

6) Is the beta test license still available for $80?

7) Are there ANY license restrictions I should know about if I want to create themes to sell? Is there a footer link for example or any problems with creating themes to sell?

I think that's about it for now. I'm sure more Q's will pop up later lol

From what I've seen, it's pretty awesome for developers. I think "newbies" not familiar with CSS etc. would struggle a little but so far it's right up my alley and I look forward to future updates.

I hope someone can answer my Q's asap!

Cheers all

Scott

pjCheviot Sep 19, 2010 02:09 AM

Would love to hear some feedback from this too.

Hope it's sooner - rather than later :)

Regards
pj

lmilesw Sep 20, 2010 09:47 PM

I am not intimately familiar with all the inner workings of TF but here is my attempt at answering your questions. I hope this helps.

1) How does TF compare with e.g. Artisteer? - They are both are for creating themes. To give you a break down of all the differences would not really give all the info you need to make a decision. I own Artisteer and would choose TF as it is less limiting and more flexible. The graphics that Artisteer provides are nice but they give all Artisteer themes a certain "feel". TF is like a blank canvas but allows those with less CSS experience to build a theme.

2) Does TF come with either a) an Options page (ie functions.php) or b) (even better!) the ability to create an options page? If "no" to both, Flynn, you really ought to SERIOUSLY consider adding this functionality, even if it's just ** color picker for bg, ** color picker for text (a, a:visited, a:hover, etc.), load header, add resize images (timthumb.php), etc. etc. Please tell me TF has an options page that is modular and customizable :) There is a blank functions.php area but no way to create an options page that I am aware of but I THINK that might be in the works.

3) How flexible is it to add jquery javascripts, and add things like sliders, or add custom CSS to make hover effects, and so on....possible? There is an area to add javascripts and CSS

4) Can I create my own themes not only for myself, but to be able to sell as templates? Think WooThemes, et al. I'm currently developing my own themes in Photoshop and I was just going to tweak the TwentyTen theme (or similar GPL theme), add my own graphics, CSS styles, etc. but if TF can work like I think it can, it's even more powerful than Artisteer (which I own but don't care for much). You can create and sell themes made with TF

5) Does all the output code validate (xhtml/css) and I assume all is fully compatible with WP 3.0.*? I haven't tested but it probably validates like most other sites and yes it is compatible with WP 3.0.* and has two menu areas.

6) Is the beta test license still available for $80? As of Sept 20, 2010... Yes

7) Are there ANY license restrictions I should know about if I want to create themes to sell? Is there a footer link for example or any problems with creating themes to sell? As mentioned before you can create themes to sell with footer content that you want.[/quote]

pjCheviot Sep 21, 2010 12:03 AM

Many thanks, Larry

That seems to answer any queries I had.

Kind regards
pj

erics_dad Sep 22, 2010 10:00 PM

Thank you Larry

I thought I had my User CP set to be notified of replies but I didn't get any. Glad I came back here to double-check :)

It sounds very interesting. Not sure what my hesitation is in donating/buying right now. Is there a "bugs" or an "update" thread that Flynn has posted to recently?

Also, does the software have an auto-update function so we know we have the latest build?

Thanks again

Scott

erics_dad Sep 22, 2010 10:04 PM

Sorry, forgot to ask.

Larry, would you be so kind as to show me (either publicly in this thread or by PM) any examples of themes created with TF?

I mean, fortunately I'm comfortable with CSS, html, photoshop and a small amount of php so as long as I truly have unlimited styling capabilities, then it shouldn't really matter but assuming one's skillset was solid, could one create themes like those at WooThemes or any other popular theme club?

I agree that Artisteer has "that certain look" (almost cheesy imo) and I don't want to feel like the themes I can create with TF would have that same appeal, if that makes sense. I really do want pretty much 100% capability to totally design whatever I want.

Hope that makes sense

Cheers

Scott

lmilesw Sep 23, 2010 07:50 AM

Scott,

I think once Themeframe gets in full swing you will see all sorts of examples and maybe someone will see this thread and post a link. My synopsis of Themeframe is that the flexibility Atahualpa gives to the end user Themeframe gives to the designer. Many times it's best to build a theme that the end user can't mess with and probably doesn't want to.

What I love about Themeframe is the real time feedback for look and feel. Here is a little video to give you example of changing the background height after applying a color in Themeframe.

Bottom line is that someone who knows there way around Atahualpa can do just about anything and the same holds true with Themeframe IMHO.

VesaT Sep 25, 2010 03:17 AM

On top of everything that seems to work nicely I would like to know if there are any plans to make ThemeFrame -generated themes multilingual e.g. with WPML.
My website running with Atahualpa operates with two languages and I will not put it under my new ThemeFrame generated theme before this can be done.
And by the way, I haven't found yet a way to get header images functioning with beta 15. The addresses seem to be right, but nothing shows up in the header.

rgds,
Vesa

Agrachina Jan 8, 2011 05:12 AM

Dear ThemeFrame Team
How is the current status regarding WPML-compatibility of ThemeFrame?

Agrachina Jan 18, 2011 04:00 AM

Has anyone made experiences with ThemeFrame in combination with WPML?

pc29877 Jan 18, 2011 05:01 PM

Hi there,

I'm a new user, but have a fairly straight forward question. If I purchase the $80 license for the Beta, will that grant me access to the production product? I'm a newbie, so please forgive me if I'm not using the appropriate terminology. I'm just trying to figure out if I have to pay an additional fee after the beta testing is over.

And, TF is properly one of the better GUI's I've seen thus far. Awesome.

Thanks, Patrick

juggledad Jan 18, 2011 05:20 PM

Yes if you buy in now, you get the final version at no extra charge

pc29877 Jan 18, 2011 06:21 PM

Thank you.

lmilesw Feb 3, 2011 06:54 PM

Some quick answers...

1. Hard to compare. Artisteer (which I own and have used for one site) has all the suggestions, images, etc. but it is not as flexible IMHO.

2. No options page as yet. I "THINK" there are plans to add though.

3. CSS can be added when creating the theme and there are plugins that can be used to add after installation if you don't want to mess with the theme files. There is a section to add javascripts. Of course you can always add plugins for some of the functionality you mentioned.

4. Yes you can create and sell themes.

5. It is WP 3.0 compatible. I haven't checked and am not too concerned about validation.

6. The Beta is still available at $80.

7. No license restrictions or footer credit needed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by erics_dad (Post 43765)
Hi all

I just signed up.

I'll explain what I'm after and hopefully Flynn or any of the mods(?) can answer if he's too busy.

1) I don't mean to start my Q's by mentioning a competitor but how does this compare with e.g. Artisteer?

2) Does TF come with either a) an Options page (ie functions.php) or b) (even better!) the ability to create an options page? If "no" to both, Flynn, you really ought to SERIOUSLY consider adding this functionality, even if it's just ** color picker for bg, ** color picker for text (a, a:visited, a:hover, etc.), load header, add resize images (timthumb.php), etc. etc. Please tell me TF has an options page that is modular and customizable :)

3) How flexible is it to add jquery javascripts, and add things like sliders, or add custom CSS to make hover effects, and so on....possible?

4) Can I create my own themes not only for myself, but to be able to sell as templates? Think WooThemes, et al. I'm currently developing my own themes in Photoshop and I was just going to tweak the TwentyTen theme (or similar GPL theme), add my own graphics, CSS styles, etc. but if TF can work like I think it can, it's even more powerful than Artisteer (which I own but don't care for much).

5) Does all the output code validate (xhtml/css) and I assume all is fully compatible with WP 3.0.*?

6) Is the beta test license still available for $80?

7) Are there ANY license restrictions I should know about if I want to create themes to sell? Is there a footer link for example or any problems with creating themes to sell?

I think that's about it for now. I'm sure more Q's will pop up later lol

From what I've seen, it's pretty awesome for developers. I think "newbies" not familiar with CSS etc. would struggle a little but so far it's right up my alley and I look forward to future updates.

I hope someone can answer my Q's asap!

Cheers all

Scott

Panda Feb 7, 2011 07:51 AM

I was looking at Artisteer, and it is a program that installs on your computer. At first thought I thought that ThemeFrame was a theme that installed on WordPress and you used it to make your own themes within WP. I'm just wondering is ThemeFrame a program or a theme? The reason I question is Atahualpa has an export function that a theme could be created and used on other WP sites.

If it is a program with it being beta, how stable is it to install on a computer? I know this might not be a very good comparison, but the reason I ask, is I remember when Microsoft came out with a FREE beta version of Word a few years back and it messed up my computer. I had to uninstall, which didn't fix what it messed up. I had to reinstall other software.

lmilesw Feb 7, 2011 09:59 AM

Themeframe is a theme creation tool, NOT a theme. The current "installation" requires you to install WAMP, MAMP, XAMP, or EasyPHP on your PC. I have never heard of the installation "messing up" a PC.

You CANNOT export from Atahualpa and import into Themeframe. Themeframe themes can be exported as zips to intall on a WordPress site and you can export the settings so you can import at a later time to edit.