Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   [SOLVED] Multiple excepts/posts on Category Pages (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=9760)

Sheila Sep 19, 2010 11:45 AM

[SOLVED] Multiple excepts/posts on Category Pages

First, thanks for a great theme. I've been setting up my first WP site with your theme and have found it very flexible and easy to use.

I've searched the forum for an answer to my problem and have tried for weeks to figure this out myself, so if I missed a discussion on this somewhere, I apologize. Here's what I'd like to do on my site:

Have only 1 post show on the Multi-Post page since it's what shows up by default on my home(Journal) page and have multiple posts appear on my Category Pages (when people link in to my categories from the widget on the Journal page). But, it appears that by setting the home/Journal page as showing only 1 post, it also only shows 1 post on all other Category pages and I don't see any option in the settings to change how many posts are displayed on the Category page. I'd be happy with just having the Individual posts appearing on the Journal page (instead of the multiple-post option) and then setting up the multi-post pages to show more than 1 post, but I can't figure out how to only show the individual posts on the home/Journal page (and I'm not sure that would be logical either).

If I'm being too vague in my explanation or you need more info, let me know. I'm new to WP and this theme.

I'm using Atahualpa 3.4.6 and my site is 2cycle2gether.com if you want to take a look at how I currently have it set up.

Thanks for any help!

lmilesw Sep 19, 2010 04:08 PM

You could set WordPress to see the number of posts you want to see on the category pages. Then set the home page as a static page and use the List Category Posts plugin to show one post on it via a shortcode.

Sheila Nov 14, 2010 08:41 AM

Thanks for the reply but I don't understand how this would work. I don't want my blog/posts page to be static .....I want to keep the navigation and other attributes that come with it being a "posts" page.

Is there a way to show the most recent single post page instead of the default multi-post page on the blog/posts page (my page labeled JOURNAL)? Ultimately, that is what I would prefer, since I only want 1 post to appear on that page anyway.

Then, I could change the theme settings to show multiple posts on the multi-post pages, thus allowing the category pages (and other pages) to work as desired.

Sorry if I'm missing something but that seems like the easiest way to approach it, without having to use plug-ins or changing too much in the default theme......is there a way to do that?

Thanks for your help.

juggledad Nov 14, 2010 09:19 AM

Go set the number of posts per page to the max you want on a page.
Next you can add a php if statement to the theme option 'The LOOP' to only display one post on the front page

Sheila Nov 14, 2010 11:11 AM

Thanks so much juggledad.....that's what I was looking for. But, in an attempt to search for how to make an if statement (I don't know php at all!), I found another post on the forum about the FrontPage Manager plugin so I installed that, set the posts page to show 1 and set the Reading option to show multiple posts, and that solves everything for me, and prevents me from screwing up any code! :-)

Thanks for all you do to help us here!