Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Page & Category Menu Bars (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Link Color: Background for parent (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=8757)

interfasys Aug 7, 2010 08:08 AM

Link Color: Background for parent

The link colour for a parent item (Link Color: Parent) cannot be defined and thus reverts to the default value when rolling over a sub-menu.
It would be great if that feature could be introduced.

juggledad Aug 8, 2010 04:12 AM

see http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=4720

interfasys Aug 8, 2010 11:30 AM

I'm talking about something different here.
In WP, there is a "Background color: Parent" property that adds adds a background to "li:hover a".
I was thinking that maybe the theme could introduce a "Link Color: Parent" feature.

Simply adding color: to "li:hover a" doesn't work because of the C in CSS.

juggledad Aug 8, 2010 11:55 AM

Quote:

In WP, there is a "Background color: Parent" property that adds adds a background to "li:hover a"
Really, where do you set it? I can't seem to find that WP option. Am I missing something on the Menu screen?

interfasys Aug 8, 2010 11:59 AM

It's on the Menu x page, in the Background color section

juggledad Aug 8, 2010 12:26 PM

do you mean dashboard->Appearances->Menu? I don't see anything to change any colors/ Do you have a plugin?

interfasys Aug 8, 2010 12:28 PM

No, I mean:
Appearance > Atahualpa Theme Options > Menu 1

juggledad Aug 8, 2010 12:57 PM

Oh, you mean there is an Atahualpa option, not a WP option.

Bottom line - the Atahualpa menu options (page and CAT) are designed to work with the %pages and %cats not the new WordPress menus. While they will work to a degree, currently you are responsible to make sure via CSS Inserts, that the menu structure you build acts the way you want it to.

At some point in the future, Atahualpa may, I repeat may, let you set up colors for the wordpress menus, but that will be after the bugs settle out of the wordpress menu structure and Flynn (the owner and developer of Atahualpa) decides that it is something worth wild doing.

If this is something you really think is important and need right away, you could offer to pay Flynn to develop this new functionality. It's probably a 40-60 hour project (research, coding, testing)

interfasys Aug 8, 2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Oh, you mean there is an Atahualpa option, not a WP option.
Yes, I meant an option managed through WP rather than through manual CSS inserts.

And it's true that in this case, it works fine with %pages, but not the WP menu system. I fixed it via CSS for the WP menu system and can wait for the theme to support it officially at some point.

adum Aug 10, 2010 11:29 AM

I think I am trying to do what the original poster was intending to do here...

Atahualpa gives the option for background color of the parent page, when hovering over child items.

From what I understand, this occurs because of this CSS that's created:

Code:

div#menu1 ul.rMenu li:hover,
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li.sfhover {
background: #000;
}

I am trying to change the color of the text that shows on that parent menu item when hovering over child items...

I used that CSS and added the color I wanted, but no change occurred.

Is this CSS wrong? Is the solution more complex that it appears?

Thanks,

Adam

interfasys Aug 10, 2010 11:46 AM

You need to change this:
Code:

div#menu1 ul.rMenu li:hover a ,
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li.sfhover a{
colour: #fff;
}

But then, because the changes made to links are cascading, everything in your children item will have the same properties, so you need to be creative. Same "problem" with parent and ancestor items.

adum Aug 10, 2010 11:55 AM

Ahh I just figured out that you needed the "a" and came back here to report what you just said.

Is there a way to fix those child items? Do you have to use multiple li's in your css?

adum Aug 10, 2010 12:05 PM

After some minor tinkering with multiple ul's and li's, I've decided this isn't worth the trouble. Too much effort for such a small cosmetic effect.

interfasys Aug 10, 2010 12:11 PM

I did spend a lot of time to try and fix that behaviour and I ended up with 12 extra entries in my custom CSS :S
I had not done CSS for a long time, but it's apparently a big problem with menus. Everything is fine as long as you don't touch the a selector.

adum Aug 10, 2010 02:45 PM

Care to share? :)

Or at least send it to Flynn, it could help him get that function in the next release of Atahualpa so that you can select the color within the ATO menus.

interfasys Aug 10, 2010 06:10 PM

I'll post something in the gold forum :)