Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Page & Category Menu Bars (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   [SOLVED] Is it necessary to use Pages or would Categories suffice? (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=9939)

chaosisbliss Sep 28, 2010 08:11 PM

[SOLVED] Is it necessary to use Pages or would Categories suffice?

Hi there, working on my very first blog, self-teaching as best I can :)

Initially, "Home" and "About" were my only Pages, and my Disclosure Policy page is under the About page. Please reference my site.

I would like to have just one menu, below my header image. Therefore I removed %pages from the Configure Header Area. Now of course my Disclosure Policy disappeared, because it is a page and I turned off pages. If I change my Disclosure Policy to a Post instead of a Page, then I could have it show up in the "About" category, in my category menu below the header.

However is there a reason I wouldn't want my disclosure policy to be a post? Does it need to be a page?

Dumb it down for me folks :) LOL!

Thanks.

lmilesw Sep 29, 2010 12:08 AM

The big differences between posts and pages is that by default posts can be categorized, the are in chronological order and multiple posts can be viewed at one time. Pages are geared more for static content where you just one a single page such as the About page. You can certainly create an About page as a post in the About category but instead I would use the new WP menu system to just combine posts and pages in one menu. This does require WP 3.0.x and Atahualpa 3.5.3 however.

chaosisbliss Sep 30, 2010 08:22 AM

I am on WP 3.0.1, and am following the steps to upgrade Atahualpa from 3.4.9. to 3.5.3.
For the bug fixes (1st timer here), do I still need to do the steps for "fixes for version 3.5.1 and 3.5.2"? Or do I just pay attention to fixes for 3.5.3?

Thank you.

lmilesw Sep 30, 2010 09:13 AM

In the New Versions and Updating forum the third and fourth stickies are the most important. Which fixes do you mean?

chaosisbliss Sep 30, 2010 09:21 AM

Ok, I was looking at the 6 links on the 3.5.3 download page. So are Bugfixes 351-04 and 353-01 the only - or most important ones - I need to do? Thank you.

lmilesw Sep 30, 2010 09:28 AM

Yes... They are the most important.

chaosisbliss Sep 30, 2010 10:29 AM

Just made a donation, thanks for your help. I have (I think!) successfully upgraded to 3.5.3.

I created a custom menu with pages & posts I simply called "Custom". It is not showing up, (see site), do I need to input something into the "Configure Header Area"?

It has this: %logo %image. I removed %cats because I thought categories may have been on top of(?) the new custom menu. How do I get the custom menu to show under my header image?

Thanks so much.

lmilesw Sep 30, 2010 10:45 AM

You need %pages and you need to associate the menu you build with Menu 1 in WP Menus

chaosisbliss Sep 30, 2010 02:59 PM

I now have my custom menu showing by including %pages in the header area. It includes my About page, and 4 categories so far.

I don't have %cats because my categories are already in the new custom header. If I include %cats then I have 2 menus almost identical, and I only want 1.

However, now my Disclosure Policy page is not under my About page/

Here is the menu I am trying to achieve:
- Home page
- About page
- Disclosure Policy page, child of About page
- dynamic categories, with subcategory drop-downs

So is it possible to mix pages and categories as menu headers, and both having drop downs?

Sorry, again I am new to this. Thank you for your help.

lmilesw Sep 30, 2010 03:19 PM

You arrange you menu items in WordPress>Menus. If you want a menu item to be a sub-menu just drag it a little to the right under the menu you want it to be under as in this screenshot.

chaosisbliss Sep 30, 2010 03:23 PM

OH jeez didn't know it was so simple as to drag it to the right. Thank you thank you thank you!