Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Montezuma Theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Child theme and Montezuma (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=18648)

rick9004 Oct 12, 2012 07:03 AM

Child theme and Montezuma

I was using a child theme with another theme and all was fine including that authors configuration /option forms. Now with Montezuma the theme options do not appear.

What if anything do I need to change to get the Montezuma options? I still like to edit my css locally and move to my test site. I'll take advantage of the other Montezuma options. Is there anyway to do this?

Thanks..

juggledad Oct 12, 2012 08:48 AM

Child themes are specific to a theme. A child theme for theme 'A' will not work with theme 'B'.

jerryc Oct 12, 2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick9004 (Post 91278)
What if anything do I need to change to get the Montezuma options? I still like to edit my css locally and move to my test site. I'll take advantage of the other Montezuma options. Is there anyway to do this?

Here's what I did, and I didn't have to make a child theme or change any montezuma files:
  1. I didn't use any of the theme templates. I cloned them with new names and edited them with my custom changes. This can (and probably should) all be done through the dashboard.
  2. I didn't change any theme css files. I added the Lazyest Stylesheet plugin. Any css in that files overrides the theme css, and all my custom css is in one place.
  3. I didn't change any theme php files, like functions.php. Instead, I added the Code Snippets plugin, which supplements the functions.php file. Like the css plugin does for css, it keeps all my custom php in one file. To be sure my custom php doesn't conflict with any wp or theme php, I prefix all my custom function, classe, and global variable names with
    PHP Code:

custom_ 

By doing it this way, I didn't need to upload any files via ftp, either. Everything is done through the Montezuma dashboard.

I hope some of this helps.

Best,

Jerry

rick9004 Oct 12, 2012 10:45 AM

Didn't answer my question. I've re-done the details of the child theme but I have many of the same styles in that child theme. The revised child theme worked fine in Montezuma except for the options for Montezuma.

jerryc Oct 12, 2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick9004 (Post 91294)
The revised child theme worked fine in Montezuma except for the options for Montezuma.

That's where you might need some extra php code. Doing this via the code snippets plugin, rather than editing any of the theme files, will keep your custom code separated, easy to manage, and protected from being overwritten by upgrades.

jerryc Oct 12, 2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerryc (Post 91296)
That's where you might need some extra php code. ...

You might also need to edit your templates, particularly to add the classes that match your custom CSS. Again, rather than editing the templates directly, I suggest cloning the theme templates and editing the clones.