Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   ThemeFrame Presales (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   How will bugs that make their way into a theme be addressed? (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=14561)

mdmower Jun 9, 2011 03:12 PM

How will bugs that make their way into a theme be addressed?

I'm on the fence for ThemeFrame. One question plagues me:

Suppose you create "Theme A" with ThemeFrame. Some bugs make their way into the code of "Theme A". You later update ThemeFrame with a new version that addresses those bugs. Will ThemeFrame be able to detect the offending code in "Theme A" and fix them automatically?

lmilesw Jun 9, 2011 06:13 PM

This would depend on the nature of the "bug" and the "fix". The intent is always make changes that will not break things but that is not always possible.

The only thing I can say is I am not concerned at all about the scenario you mentioned as I test major updates in a test environment (which any developer should have IMHO) and if something breaks I deal with it in whatever way possible.

mdmower Jun 9, 2011 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilesw (Post 67562)
This would depend on the nature of the "bug" and the "fix". The intent is always make changes that will not break things but that is not always possible.

The only thing I can say is I am not concerned at all about the scenario you mentioned as I test major updates in a test environment (which any developer should have IMHO) and if something breaks I deal with it in whatever way possible.

My question might be addressing a different scenario than you're describing. Mine question is more analogous to the bugfixes that show up for Atahualpa from time to time, and not about major ThemeFrame revisions breaking an old theme.

Suppose a small bug makes its way into a theme created by ThemeFrame (e.g. every letter "q" shows up italicized... just as a stupid example). The developer realizes ThemeFrame is responsible for putting this bug into themes, and makes a .01 revision to address the problem.

Is it then my responsibility to fix the code in the theme by hand, or will ThemeFrame be able to detect these small bugfixes? [Clearly, I do not yet understand the extent to which code will be similar between themes created by ThemeFrame]

lmilesw Jun 9, 2011 06:26 PM

I would certainly HOPE that this would be the case and will try to get more info for you.

Flynn Jun 9, 2011 06:51 PM

Small bugs will usually not require manual edits, you should be able to just export a new theme with the new TF version, based on the old settings file

mdmower Jun 9, 2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flynn (Post 67575)
you should be able to just export a new theme with the new TF version, based on the old settings file

That makes perfect sense, thanks for the response.