Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dreamweaver and ATO/WP (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=9514)

Dona Sep 9, 2010 04:58 AM

Dreamweaver and ATO/WP

Hi
I am new to WP (and ATO) and website building in general.
I have been having some frustrations using the editor in WP (3.0.1). I added the tinyMCE Advanced plugin which has helped, but still having difficulty formatting the page/tables - the tables don't keep the "shape" i set it to, and it keeps adding blank spaces where I don't want them (even though I keep deleting them)... etc.
Some people recommended I use Dreamweaver as a desktop editor.
If anyone has used Dreamweaver and WP (and ATO - I want to stay with this theme - it is great) - could you please let me know if you feel it is a good choice/option?
I already have a copy of Dreamweaver (came with the Photoshop CS5 creative suite), but it is rather complicated and if it is not necessary (it won't solve these problems) then I would rather not use it. But if it will make my life easier in the long run, then I am all for it!

Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Dona

lmilesw Sep 9, 2010 09:27 PM

I wouldn't go the Dreamweaver route. I think learning the ins and outs of the visual/html editor is much more practical and simpler. Besides then I can work on the site from any computer. I also would try to avoid using tables as they can be problematic. I much prefer using either floated divs or some of the plugins that let you make multiple columns, etc. If you have an issue with how a page is going together try posting the problem and see if someone can give you an answer. Also since you won Dreamweaver you could "try" it and see how it works for you. I expect it may be a learning curve you don't want to climb.

Dona Sep 11, 2010 03:25 AM

Thanks!
I am not familiar with floating div, I will see if I can find some info online about it.

I would like to create a page that has muliple columns (and sizes) - sometimes 1, sometimes 2 sometimes 3 ... etc. Is that possible to do with a column (or floating div) plugin?

Can you suggest some (or one) plugin for both the columns and floating divs that work well with ATO?

Thanks again for all your help! :)
Dona

lmilesw Sep 11, 2010 04:35 AM

Page Columnist and WP Columnize are two plugins you can check out.

Dona Sep 12, 2010 12:49 PM

Thanks, I will try them out.

I am thinking of using Dreamweaver to do some simple edits (at first) to get a feel for it.
When I go to start a new page, I have to choose either HTML, CSS, PHP ... and a list of other options (I have to chose one). Which is the best to choose?

Dona

lmilesw Sep 12, 2010 03:45 PM

I am not that familiar with Dreamweaver any more but I suspect you want to choose HTML since you are building a page.

Dona Sep 12, 2010 04:24 PM

That is what I thought, but I knew that CSS was also used in Wordpress, so I didn't know which one would be best.

Thanks! :)
Dona