Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   [SOLVED] How to upload my own background image? (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=19599)

roxybc Feb 8, 2013 12:39 PM

[SOLVED] How to upload my own background image?

Can someone remind me how to upload my own image to use as my background? I've done it once, but didn't like it so removed it and now I can't figure it out!

I've uploaded the image to: /wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images/image_name but I'm not sure what code to put into my settings. Can someone remind me please? I've inserted the following code, as indicated in the layout instructions, but is's still not working :confused::confused::confused:

background: url(/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images/ChevronLtGrey.jpeg) repeat top left;

Thanks very much!

lmilesw Feb 8, 2013 01:02 PM

Your image named ChevronLtGrey.jpeg does not appear to be in the /wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images folder or it is named differently in your code than it is in the folder.

paulae Feb 8, 2013 04:24 PM

I don't think .jpeg works, does it?

lmilesw Feb 8, 2013 06:07 PM

.jpg or .jpeg will both work

roxybc Feb 9, 2013 01:24 PM

I've uploaded it again, an double checked the path and it's still not working. I have no idea what I've done wrong. :confused::confused:

What I've done:

1. Clicked on File Manager in CPanel --> Web Root (public_html/www)
2. Click on public_html --> wordpress content --> themes --> atahualpa --> images
3. Then I upload my jpeg background and I can see it in the folder titled ChevronLtGrey.jpg (I typed jpeg in my first post, but correctly entered jpg in the design page)

** This post is continued in the next reply (the system isn't letting me post my entire message)

roxybc Feb 9, 2013 01:25 PM

4. I try and change the background in my settings by entering the following:
background: url(/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images/ChevronLtGrey.jpg) repeat top left;
Since that didn't work I have also tried: background: url(public_html/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images/ChevronLtGrey.jpg) repeat top left; but that has not worked either.

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong?? :confused::confused::confused:

paulae Feb 9, 2013 01:49 PM

Can you give the site's URL?

roxybc Feb 9, 2013 01:54 PM

Sure, it's: http://www.unbecomingmymother.com/

paulae Feb 9, 2013 02:14 PM

Does the Athualpa theme folder have a version number, like atahualpa377? If so, that needs to be part of the link to the image too.

roxybc Feb 9, 2013 02:17 PM

No, there's no numbers. Everything is exactly as I've written it.

lmilesw Feb 9, 2013 03:59 PM

If I go to www.unbecomingmymother.com/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images/logo.gif I see the image that is there so that shows the path is OK.

If I go to www.unbecomingmymother.com/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images/ChevronLtGrey.jpg I see nothing.

This indicates either the ChevronLtGrey.jpg is not in the folder, is spelled differently, has different upper or lower case letters, or doesn't have the proper rights.

roxybc Feb 9, 2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilesw (Post 96366)
If I go to www.unbecomingmymother.com/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images/ChevronLtGrey.jpg I see nothing.

This indicates either the ChevronLtGrey.jpg is not in the folder, is spelled differently, has different upper or lower case letters, or doesn't have the proper rights.

What do you mean by "doesn't have the proper rights"?

paulae Feb 9, 2013 04:19 PM

I'll bet this is some kind of naming issue. I notice that you have your header image named with spaces:
Code:

http://www.unbecomingmymother.com/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images/header/Unbecoming My Mother.jpg
. Web servers don't like that, so they add %20 in the spaces when the page is rendered in the browser.

lmilesw Feb 9, 2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roxybc (Post 96367)
What do you mean by "doesn't have the proper rights"?

With FTP you can set who can see a folder or file. This is the least likely cause of your issue however.

If you look at the properties of the image with an FTP client you will see what the permissions for the file are.

roxybc Feb 9, 2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulae (Post 96368)
I'll bet this is some kind of naming issue. I notice that you have your header image named with spaces:
Code:

http://www.unbecomingmymother.com/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images/header/Unbecoming My Mother.jpg
. Web servers don't like that, so they add %20 in the spaces when the page is rendered in the browser.

Ok, I feel like a total idiot because I obviously uploaded my header image and switched it from the standard one, but I can't find it anymore. I was sure I deleted the other 3 headers that came standard with the theme, but it appears that those standard three are back there in the Header folder, and the one I uploaded has disappeared. I'm not sure what's going on. The other thing is that I have no idea what section I even added the header code to in the Atahualpa theme settings. Can someone remind me so I can check? I don't think I would have named a file with spaces in it.

roxybc Feb 9, 2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilesw (Post 96370)
With FTP you can set who can see a folder or file. This is the least likely cause of your issue however.

If you look at the properties of the image with an FTP client you will see what the permissions for the file are.

I've clicked on the "change permissions" option of the background image I'm trying to load, and the file is listed as: /public_html/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images/ChevronLtGrey.jpg and the permissions are: Read: = User, Group, World Write: = User Execute: =(none selected)
Permission values are: 6, 4, 4

lmilesw Feb 9, 2013 04:59 PM

It looks like you have it coded to be a background image for body of the site. Where do you want it to show?

roxybc Feb 9, 2013 05:17 PM

Ok, so it appears I was uploading my background image to the wrong folder.

I originally uploaded it to: public_html/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images/

But should have uploaded it here: public_html/unbecomingmymother.com/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images

And yes, I did also do something out of the ordinary and name my header image with spaces in it. Should I delete it and upload one without spaces, or is it fine since it's showing already?

lmilesw Feb 9, 2013 05:59 PM

It's just not certain it will show in all circumstances with the spaces. As for your background image the only thing I would say is that it is over 700 Kb in size. Images for web should be considerably smaller to reduce page load time. I suspect you can find a much smaller repeating image for this background.

Here is a link to where you can download smaller repeating chevron images.

roxybc Feb 9, 2013 06:23 PM

Ok, thanks very much for your help everyone! I couldn't get the file to open from the Chevron background site that you sent me to (they were exactly what I wanted though, but when I tried to open the file, it said no program could be found to open it with) so I have re-sized my background to 306kb and changed the name of my header to have no spaces.

Hopefully that should sort out any issues for my future readers now?