Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Excerpts, Read more, Pagination (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Want excerpts to show full size first image instead of excerpts (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=17092)

thriftyveggiemama Mar 22, 2012 09:49 AM

Want excerpts to show full size first image instead of excerpts

I have excerpts for posts enabled on my home however I want the full size first image to be displayed and not the thumbnail. How can I do this? I figured out how to show the full size first image by adding the tag in ATO Don't strip this section under configure excerpts but when i do that the post thumbnail and the first image are displayed.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help on this.

lmilesw Mar 22, 2012 10:10 AM

Don't use the featured image function.

thriftyveggiemama Mar 22, 2012 10:29 AM

So I have to go back through each post and disable the featured image?

lmilesw Mar 22, 2012 01:52 PM

You could also try adjusting the thumbnail size in the Thumbnail section of the theme options.

theadventurebite Aug 19, 2012 06:40 AM

Is there a way to actually edit the theme file to make the excerpt really just be the post only shortened?

I do not want it pulling the image in from the featured image area and I want it to pull in all the images in the first 250 characters....not just one.

I'm looking in functions.php but not finding what I am looking for....i think?

theadventurebite Aug 19, 2012 06:50 AM

Okay so it looks like if I manually add the
Code:

<!--more-->
to each post and leave it on full content instead of excerpt this will achieve this. A bit of a pain but not terrible and it makes for a cleaner transition than getting cut off in the middle of the sentence too.

If there is a way to do this automatically I would be interested still though.

theadventurebite Aug 19, 2012 07:00 AM

Okay so by deleting:
Code:

$text = strip_tags($text, $bfa_ata['dont_strip_excerpts']);
from functions.php I have gotten all the images back and working correctly.

edit: If you leave this in the code and just add the < img > tag to the tags not to strip in the ATA settings it also works.

The only problem is I also have the featured image running so I am getting doubled up images at the top of the posts.

Is there a way to turn this call off to the images or do I need to delete the entire post_thumbnail section? The latter seems more scary to me by a long degree.

juggledad Aug 19, 2012 10:11 AM

add the following to the CSS Inserts
HTML Code:

img.attachment-post-thumbnail {display:none;}

theadventurebite Aug 21, 2012 08:40 AM

Great. That worked. Is this a very clean way to do it? It seems like there should be a place in the excerpt code that says like:

get_the_post_thumbnail

but I can't seem to find it?

If I could just delete something like that without deleting the whole thumbnail creation I would love to do that....it seems cleaner from my point of view then just hiding the image with the CSS.

Am I thinking that through right?

juggledad Aug 21, 2012 08:56 AM

you can certainly edit the theme code insteading of using the css and it will be 'cleaner' on the page, but the next time you update the theme you have to go back and make the changes all over again.

so you have to ask yurself, which will be easier in the long run