Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Post-Kicker, -Byline & -Footer (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Bug: Escape Characters Inserted (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=20)

TarheelRambler Dec 12, 2008 04:22 PM

Bug: Escape Characters Inserted
 
When saving any changes (in fact any time the 'Save' button is clicked) escape characters are inserted into the post info configuration boxes. This results in the post info being rendered unusable.

I am on WP 2.7. I have reverted to Atahualpa 2 for the time being. If you need to look at this, let me know and I will furnish you temporary admin access via e-mail.

Flynn Dec 12, 2008 04:33 PM

Can you give me a sample of what you put there

TarheelRambler Dec 12, 2008 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It does it with the default entries. In fact, each time I saved it added another set of escape (\) characters. By the time I noticed it the first time, there were probably 20 or 30 escape characters added. I recopied the default values into the post info config boxes, but when I saved the escape characters started appearing again. I attached a screen print to show you what it looks like.

Flynn Dec 12, 2008 04:51 PM

Thanks, I will sort it out over the weekend. This doesn't happen on my server/theme

optimalsin Dec 12, 2008 05:46 PM

Yup, I'm experiencing the same problem. In fact the first time I installed the theme, I ended up seeing the header, left sidebar and the first post appear with everything blank subsequently. The footer for the first post would not render and the right sidebar and page footers would be blank.

After much head banging I saw tons of escape characters in the "Post/Page Info Items" -> "FOOTER" input boxes. Copy / pasting the default content shown into the input boxes did not help because a minimum of one escape character would be added. Same issue with IE 7 and FF 3.0.4.

Finally, clearing everything out of those input boxes got the home page to render completely. I'm using WP 2.7 and have the blog hosted on laughing squid.

Flynn Dec 12, 2008 05:50 PM

Darn... not happening here, but I will have that fixed on Saturday

TarheelRambler Dec 12, 2008 06:53 PM

Flynn,
I got around it by going in and making my edits directly in the bfa_theme_options.php file. Not as convenient as using the maintenance pages, but it did work. So I've got the theme up and running on my blog.

BTW, Optimalsin, I'm sorry you're having problems too, but I'm glad it wasn't just me! :) One thing I'm wondering is if the host may have something going on. I host on GoDaddy, in case that information is useful.

bseppa Dec 12, 2008 09:14 PM

Yeah, I just hit this myself... tons of escape characters inserted like magic! I can't get the settings on the Post/Page Info Items to work.

aph Dec 13, 2008 10:32 PM

same problem here. hope there is an easy fix.

bseppa Dec 13, 2008 10:38 PM

I got it to work by modifying the fields directly in the database. The implication is that until the 3.1 release, I cannot use the Admin Interface at all (because if I click Save it will break my changes). You can do the same if you are desperate.

aph Dec 13, 2008 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bseppa (Post 119)
I got it to work by modifying the fields directly in the database. The implication is that until the 3.1 release, I cannot use the Admin Interface at all (because if I click Save it will break my changes). You can do the same if you are desperate.

thanks, I'll try modifying in the database. haven't messed with that before, but first time for everything...

TarheelRambler Dec 14, 2008 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bseppa (Post 119)
I got it to work by modifying the fields directly in the database. The implication is that until the 3.1 release, I cannot use the Admin Interface at all (because if I click Save it will break my changes). You can do the same if you are desperate.

I think a better choice is to make your edits in the bfa_theme_options file using a text editor and then replacing the copy of that file that is on your server. Basically, you make the change by updating the value assigned to the "std" variable, which changes the default value assigned. There are a one good thing about making the changes in this file is that if you ever hit the 'reset' button, you will still retain the changes that you want for your blog and the settings don't revert to out-of-the-box settings. Just be sure to keep a backup copy of the bfa_theme_options file so that you can recover if you mess something up.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.