Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Jetpack Contact Form Rarely Works (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=22499)

BrightonNY May 15, 2014 08:59 AM

Jetpack Contact Form Rarely Works

I'm a complete newbie so I'm not sure if this post belongs here or somewhere else.

I use the Jetpack Contact form on my website. After filling out the form and sending, another page comes up with a rather non-specific message: "Are you sure you want to do this?" and offers no choices for response.

Any ideas on the cause or what else I can do to further diagnose the problem?

Thank you!

www.selmarcerini.com

juggledad May 15, 2014 10:55 AM

I avoid jetpack. try this, swap to the twenty fourteenand see if you have the issue,

BrightonNY May 16, 2014 12:50 PM

2014 worked but Jetpack Contact Form continues to work intermittently which concerns me in that if I find some other Contact Form I may have an underlying problem that is only made visible now by Jetpack. I'll make a switch to another Contact Form and see what happens.

As a newbie, I'm not sure about locating the right Forum for various questions.

I'm reluctant to upgrade both ATAHUALPA and WORDPRESS to their current levels. I've been trying to find information on how to uninstall or go back to my current level in the event that the upgrades create any problems. Any suggestions on where I can find the answer?

Thank you!

juggledad May 16, 2014 01:54 PM

First thisg you need to do is backup your site. This is something you should do
1) on a regular basis and
2) before you do any upgrade

I use the premimum plugin BackupBuddy but there are others. The three important things to backup are
1) your database
2) the wp-contents folder
3) wp-config.php
With those you can recover your site. You should also create a 'play' site so you can muck arround and blow it away and start over.

as for a contact form, I use another plugin called gravity form and never looked back.

BrightonNY May 16, 2014 07:32 PM

Thank you very much! I will certainly follow those directions before I upgrade.

You mentioned a play site. Would that be a separate domain that is an exact copy of my production domain?

lmilesw May 16, 2014 07:34 PM

My play site is a subdomain of a domain I own and is not copy. A play site is just that for playing with different plugins, configurations etc. thus not a copy.

BrightonNY May 17, 2014 07:43 AM

Thank you for your response.

I'm still confused on what to do. If I create a subdomain of my main domain and then upgrade WORDPRESS and ATAHUALPA, doesn't it affect both? In other words, isn't there only 1 upgrade rather than a separate upgrade for the main domain and the subdomain? If that's true, what is the benefit of having a "play" domain?

juggledad May 17, 2014 08:09 AM

When you create a sub domain, you will be pointing it to a new location(folder) on your host where you will install a new copy of wordpress. Then you will create a new database and edit the new wp-config.php to point at the new database.

So you will end up with a second database and a second install of the wordpress files.

This is not a trivial task if you have never done it, but it is also not an impossible task. I had to play with it and learn when I first started too.

I can't give you step by step direction because every host seems to have things setup differently.

lmilesw May 17, 2014 11:32 AM

You host (Hostgator) has QuickInstall and Fantastico for installing a new WordPress instance which will do all the heavy lifting for you. If you don't feel comfortable doing the install I suggest either paying someone to do it for you or fine a tech savvy friend to help you.

BrightonNY May 23, 2014 07:24 PM

I've backed up my site so now I'm ready to proceed with upgrades.

However, I still have a question about establishing a "play" site. If I create a subdomain called "play.mysite.com", couldn't someone guess the subdomain "play" if they already know my website, mysite.com?

To truly isolate my "play" website, wouldn't I be better off in creating a second domain rather than using a subdomain of my main site?

Thanks.

juggledad May 24, 2014 05:00 AM

If it is a play site who cares if someone looks at it? I have a playsite set up and use the theme test data to populate it. That way I can test things, wipe it out and test something else with feer of losing my read data.

SharonJ Aug 18, 2014 10:44 AM

Interested in why you avoid Jetpack, Juggledad. I do not use it myself but one of my customers talked to a friend who has a website, who says it is invaluable. I don't see the point of it.

juggledad Aug 18, 2014 11:42 AM

in a word 'bloat' - The code base is 22Meg. I installed the plugin 'TCP! Memory Usage' and with the theme 'Twenty Thirteen' I opened my site them looked at the stats
HTML Code:

<!--
TPC! Memory Usage (http://webjawns.com)
Memory Usage: 13,756,728
Memory Peak Usage: 14,092,040
WP Memory Limit: 96M
PHP Memory Limit:
Checkpoints: 9
-->

Then I activated JetPack - I didn't enable anything, just activated it and checked the stats
HTML Code:

<!--
TPC! Memory Usage (http://webjawns.com)
Memory Usage: 15,743,072
Memory Peak Usage: 16,068,328
WP Memory Limit: 96M
PHP Memory Limit:
Checkpoints: 9
-->

memory usage went up by 2 meg.

JetPack combines 34 different functions (can we say 'plugins') into one but I'd love to see statistics on how many of the 34 modules people use.

'Bloat'

SharonJ Aug 18, 2014 02:04 PM

Would the end result be a slower website?

juggledad Aug 18, 2014 03:00 PM

the is something called the instruction path. that is the number of computer commands that are executed to do a task. As you add more and more instructions, the path gets longer and the time increases. In addition, the amount of memory your server gives you can be liited so each plugin will gobble up some of that memory and you could hit limits that are out of your control.

have you ever noticed how a site with lots of huge pictures can seem to hang as all the pictures are loading? Now compare that to googles page which has nuth to nothing on it and loads in less than the blink of an eye (and they have lots of servers spreading the workload)

Jet pack has 34 modules. If you are only going to use two, why not find two plugins that do the same thing instead.