Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Excerpts, Read more, Pagination (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   how to make Read More link jump to Top of Page (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=14492)

Kathy Jun 4, 2011 11:25 AM

how to make Read More link jump to Top of Page

Currently, my Read More link jumps to the location where the reader would continue reading. I want the link to jump to the very top of the post. How do I do this?

Thanks.

juggledad Jun 4, 2011 07:47 PM

What version of atahualpa and wp?
What is the URL showing the issue?
Do you have all BUGFIX's for your release applied?

Kathy Jun 4, 2011 10:43 PM

Atahualpa 3.6.7
WordPress 3.1.3

URL: www.getoutofdebtactionplan.com

Click on any Continue Reading... link on my home page and you'll see that the jump does not go to the top of the post.

I applied the 1st bug fix to fix the no space after period. I didn't apply any others because I'm not sure about all of them. My text looks squished so maybe you can tell me how many of the fixes to try to apply?

Thanks,
Kathy

juggledad Jun 5, 2011 04:37 AM

Quote:

maybe you can tell me how many of the fixes to try to apply?
all of them, they all fix problems and you may hit them in the future...an ounce of prevention...

what do you have 'ato->Configure EXCERPTS->Custom read more' set to?

Kathy Jun 5, 2011 11:07 AM

About installing fixes: I'm not real comfortable copying and pasting code so I was hoping that I could wait until the next big release. Surely there will be one soon?

About the Read More: I'm not using the custom excerpt, I'm just inserting a Read More tag. In answer to your question, the custom excerpt settings are the default.

Thanks,
Kathy

juggledad Jun 5, 2011 02:57 PM

there are three ways to apply the fixes.
1) edit the code and make the change
2) download the zip file, unzip it and upload it to your host replacing the file that is there.
3) ownload the zip file, unzip it, open it in a text editor, do a select all and a copy, use the wordpress theme editor, edit the file, do a select all and paste to past in the entire fixed file, update the file

or you can wait for the next release, not sure when it will be submitted to wordpress though...

try disabling your plugins and see if one is causing this. When I use the <!--more--> I do not get the same situation as you.

Kathy Jun 5, 2011 03:04 PM

Hi,

My site is brand new so I didn't have any plugins installed until just this afternoon.

I guess I'll start installing bug fixes and see how it goes!

If I find one that fixes this, I'll let you know.

Thanks,
Kathy

dougc Jul 19, 2013 05:58 PM

I'm now having this same problem. My site dougcoe.com used to work fine, but now when I click on the "read more" link at the end of a post excerpt it takes me to a point part way down the post's page.

I just finished setting up a local installation of my website on my computer (using BackupBuddy). Then I deactivated all my plugins. Didn't fix the problem.

Any ideas to fix this?

Thank you,
Doug

juggledad Jul 20, 2013 01:00 AM

Your 'read more' link is
HTML Code:

<a href="http://dougcoe.com/when-should-you-get-a-building-permit/#more-2453" class="more-link">(read more…)</a>
So it goes to the 'more-2453' on the new page.

dougc Jul 22, 2013 05:12 PM

Jugglehead--Thank you for the reply. Yes, my "read more" link does include "#more-2453" in the source code. So, if I have all of my plugins deactivated, and I've edited the ATO "Read More" text to the default "Continue reading %post-title%"...then how does that unwanted text get into my code for the page?

Any ideas of other things that could be the culprit? Or other things to try?

Thank you again!
-Doug

juggledad Jul 22, 2013 05:41 PM

What is your permalink set to?
Export your ato settings and attach to a reply

dougc Jul 22, 2013 06:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Juggledad--I'm not sure what you mean by permalink in this case. Anyway, I've exported my ATO settings and will try to attach it here. Thank you.
-Doug

juggledad Jul 22, 2013 07:33 PM

The issue is you are using a 'more' quicktag in the post and Wordpress is adding the link to the spot of the more quicktag. You can see this by swapping to twenty-twelve and you will see the same effect.

dougc Jul 24, 2013 12:43 PM

Juggledad--I don't understand your reply. Of course I'm putting a "more" tag in my post. That's a given. The question is: why is it now taking the reader to a point part way down the post when it used to take them to the top of the post? It's the same question the OP in this thread asked.

Has Atahualpa changed how it interprets the "read more" tag in a recent update? Didn't it used to take the reader to the top of the full post?

Thank you again!
Doug

juggledad Jul 24, 2013 01:07 PM

Atahualpa does not process the 'more' quicktag - WordPress does. Atahualpa calls the wordpress function 'the_content()' and wordpress does the rest. This is why I said to swap to twenty twelve and you will see the same issue - it is not theme related, it probably came about with one of the wordpress upgrades and you are just noticing it.

dougc Jul 24, 2013 05:43 PM

Juggledad--Oh, I didn't realize that it's all a WP issue. Thank you!

I found out how to do what I wanted on the Wordpress.org Codex, for anyone who wants to know how to do this.

Case closed.

Doug