Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   [SOLVED] Problem importing settings from 3.4.9 into 3.7.15 (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=22109)

rps Apr 17, 2014 10:31 AM

[SOLVED] Problem importing settings from 3.4.9 into 3.7.15

1. I exported a site to XML and successfully imported it elsewhere.
  2. The first site uses Ata 3.4.9. The second site uses Ata 3.7.15.
  3. The contents of the settings file exported from the first site when pasted into the second, causes the message that it doesn't appear to be a valid settings file.

Can you please point me to a solution for this? I should add that I only have access to the browser/dashboard in Wordpress so can't do anything particularly technical. I'm not particularly technically adept, either, so please bear that in mind :)

juggledad Apr 17, 2014 11:21 AM

an XML export of a site will not work. You need to use the Atahualpa Export option

rps Apr 17, 2014 12:40 PM

So, to export this Atahualpa site I should not use the Wordpress dashboard Tools --> Export. OK, I understand that now. Apologies if I am being dense, but I do not see the Atahualpa Export option you refer to. I see only Export/Import Settings, which is located in the Appearance section.

(On a side note, I assume that if I used the Tools --> Export option, the data would export okay and could be used with a different theme?)

Your patience is appreciated.

lmilesw Apr 17, 2014 01:44 PM

To export the posts and such you would use the WordPress export function. To export the Atahualpa settings you would use the Atahualpa export function.

rps Apr 17, 2014 03:05 PM

lmilesw - That is exactly what I did as I explained in my original post.

I used the Tools --> Export function in Wordpress (Ata 3.4.9, Wordpress 3,7,3) for all site content. I then successfully imported that file into Wordpress (Ata 3.7.15, Wordpress 3.8.3).

Obviously, it's all a bit of a mess. So, I thought having the settings file from the source would help get me on the way to having better formatting.

So, from the original source I exported the settings file. I opened it in a plain text editor, copied the contents and pasted it into the Ata 3.7.15 settings box. I clicked Import Settings. When I do that (I tried several times) it simply gives the message that it doesn't appear to be a valid settings file. Hence my original query.

juggledad Apr 17, 2014 03:18 PM

in 3.4.9 go to dashboard->appearances->ATO-Export/Import and do the theme setting export there

note things have changed and 3.4.9 i so far behind, I can't remember if you will have to install an intermediate release to get everything to work. After all you are 27 releases behind

rps Apr 17, 2014 07:19 PM

I guess I should have phrased my question differently, along the lines of "Is it a surprise that what I was trying to do didn't work?", or "Is there a solution you know of to this?" I am very aware that I am stuck with an old version that the powers that be are reluctant that I update (don't ask) and am not remotely surprised that the version is far enough behind that results would be unpredictable, to say the least. I was not saying, "Why doesn't this work?", more that I had followed the instructions to the letter and hadn't had any luck so maybe I'd missed something. I was thrown by the mention on the export settings screen that 'This text file can be imported into this or another Atahualpa 3.4.7+ installation', which made me think that a version like I had could be exported _from_ successfully: but, yes, I completely accept that so many iterations of Atahualpa later, it's hardly surprising that what I was attempting wasn't going to happen.

I thank you both for your time in responding to my enquiry.

juggledad Apr 18, 2014 03:09 AM

No one said it can't happen, but we trying to tell you the correct way to do it.

Atahualpa has it's own export function to export its theme settings and you have to use it.

It is quite possible that at some wordpress release the theme may stop working that is why you should stay current - this is true for any theme.

So do the Atahualpa export, if there is a problem doing the import let us know and attach the export (use the paper clip icon)

rps Apr 18, 2014 06:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I know Atahualpa has its own themes settings export. That is what I was trying to import in the later version of Atahualpa, using the theme's Import Atahualpa Settings, and that file is what I have not been able to import. The error message is that it does not appear to be a valid settings file.

FYI, it is attached.

lmilesw Apr 18, 2014 07:06 AM

If you are exporting from 3.4.9 and trying to import into 3.7.15 there indeed could be some issues.

Instead of the export import you could go through all the settings areas one by one on the 3.4.9 install and do a copy from 3.4.9 and paste into the 3.7.15 installation.

rps Apr 18, 2014 08:03 AM

I'm reconciled to having to do that. Thanks for looking into it, though.

juggledad Apr 18, 2014 08:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here use this as your import

rps Apr 18, 2014 12:11 PM

Wow, juggledad, that was unexpected, and very kind of you. It (of course) imported with no problem. Many thanks indeed.