Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Comments, trackbacks & pings (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Comments not diplaying - Tried both fixes in forums (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=16916)

Thomas Mar 4, 2012 08:28 AM

Comments not diplaying - Tried both fixes in forums

Underneath my posts (on the "Posts" page) there is an indicator of how many comments there are but i would like the actual comments to display.

I have tried adding <?php $withcomments = 1; ?> to the top section of "The Loop" and also have removed <p>Comments are closed.</p> from the "Comments are closed text" option. This is not a caching issue.

My sites mostly aren't designed for comments but this one is so this is new territory for me - any suggestions?

Thanks
Thomas

juggledad Mar 4, 2012 11:54 AM

what is the site and a url pointing to a page where you are having the issue

Thomas Mar 4, 2012 01:47 PM

http://papayaseeds.net - Home page

juggledad Mar 4, 2012 02:03 PM

Comments display on the 'single post' pages not the blog page - which is what your home page is. If you display one of the posts you WILL see al teh comments.

Now do you want to display the comments on the 'blog' page? This can cause a performance hit on the site if there are lots of comments. However if you want to do it, do a search ther the forums. I seem to remember Flynn (the theme author) giving instructions how to do it. If you can find the thread and it needs updating I can take a look at it.

You could also do a google search and see if you can find a plugin to do this.

cway Oct 13, 2012 04:12 PM

I've been searching the forums and I can't find out how I get the comments to show instead of the link. e.g. One Comment.

juggledad Oct 26, 2012 04:19 AM

not sure I understand. Where are you talking about? on a single post page, multi post page? did you look thru the 'Edit POST/PAGE INFO ITEMS' options?

cway Oct 26, 2012 10:05 AM

I've created a page, posted a post to it, and am allowing comments, so I suppose single-post page.

Using the 'page links to' plug-in, I copied the URL that appears when you mouse-over the Comments link and entered that into the alternate URL field.

I did look through the Edit POST?PAGE INFO ITEMS options, but couldn't figure it out.

The page displayed '1 comment' and that was a link. When clicked, the comment appeared at the bottom of the page. I was trying to get the comments to appear automatically, without having to click on a link.

I've implemented a work-around, but I'd still like to know how to get comments to appear without having to click on a link.

Thanks!
Cameron

juggledad Oct 26, 2012 10:43 AM

When you say you created a page and posted a post to it, do you mean you created a page and added text to it via dashboard->page or dashboard->post

Pages and posts are different

cway Oct 26, 2012 10:46 AM

I created a page, told Wordpress to put posts on that page under Settings > Reading. I then created a Post and turned comments on.

juggledad Oct 26, 2012 12:17 PM

ok, so you create a page called 'X' and told WP that is the blog page. Now when you select 'X' you see the posts and under each post is a footer that says 'one comment' or something like that and it takes you to the single post page where you see all the comments.

but you want all teh comments to show on the blog page. Is that correct?
If that is the case you need to edit index.php and change line 34 (version 3.7.9) from
HTML Code:

<?php bfa_post_footer('<div class="post-footer">','</div>'); ?>
to
HTML Code:

<?php bfa_post_footer('<div class="post-footer">','</div>'); ?>
                <?php $withcomments = 1; comments_template(); ?>

and change line 44 from
HTML Code:

<?php bfa_get_comments(); // Load Comments template (on single post pages, and static pages, if set on options page): ?>
to
HTML Code:

<?php // bfa_get_comments(); // Load Comments template (on single post pages, and static pages, if set on options page): ?>

cway Oct 26, 2012 12:31 PM

Correct. Again, I've implemented a work-around, but I'd like to know how to properly get the comments to show without clicking on a link or implementing my work-around.