Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Plugins & Atahualpa (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Recurring problem trying to access Pages (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=4150)

OttO Oct 31, 2009 01:36 PM

Recurring problem trying to access Pages

This has been going on for weeks and I'm pulling my hair out. I have WP 2.8.5 and theme version 3.4.4.

Without warning, I can't click on a link on the home page and get to a single post page. All I get is a blank white screen. I've been eliminating plug-ins one at a time, first based on the most recent I installed, now just based on the ones I am willing to give up most. Each time I deactivate a plug-in, the site functions normally for a short period of time. Then the problem recurs. One of my writers pointed out that the only way he could access pages normally was if was logged out of the site. I tried that and yes, when I was logged in I got the blank white screen. When I logged out it worked. Now I get the blank white screen no matter what and I really don't want to lose any more plug-ins.

What could be causing this? I've had so many strange issues in the past month or so; before that everything worked beautifully.

Thanks.

OttO Oct 31, 2009 01:44 PM

Okay, it may be a problem with Firefox. I never use IE but for kicks, I tried the site in IE and it seems to be working fine, but in Firefox I still have the problem. Is there a reason or solution?

juggledad Oct 31, 2009 06:04 PM

how big is the site, how many plugins?
Do you know what version of php you have and how much memory? (use the wp-security-scan plugin for this)

kostermw Nov 2, 2009 09:04 AM

I have seen similar behaviour (also while using IE, or whatever browser) when I activated PHP5 (instead of PHP4). I assumed it had to do with problems with the Permalinks and the rewriting module. Even after switching back, the problem was still there, until I switched back to 'Ugly' permalinks. The links worked fine again, and then I did put permalinks back to what they were, and everything seemed to be refreshed and working. Cannot realy explain it.

5280Fan Nov 26, 2009 11:00 PM

I too have this issue. WP 2.8.6 & ATA 3.4.4 with 16 plugins, but none 'new' as to what I've had.

Issue is not about one certain plugin as I've disabled all and added back 1x1

I've not tried the revert to ugly permalinks and back yet but will and will reply asap.

I can back out of 'all white' page and get regular menu.

Issue only seems to happen when trying to edit 'Home'. Have tried all other pages and never any issue there. Only with 'Home'.

Thanks for any ideas.
Russ

5280Fan Nov 26, 2009 11:05 PM

Well, that didn't take long. Changing to ugly permalinks completely broke site. Would not pull up. Going back to custom links and all is fine.

Error I'm seeing when edit of 'Home' breaks is below if of any help. Thanks!

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 81258 bytes) in /home1/(edited out)/public_html/milehighfan/wp-admin/includes/theme.php on line 132

juggledad Nov 27, 2009 04:38 AM

From this message it sounds like you have exceeded the php memory. Who is your host?