Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Remove Blog Title and Listing Specific Posts on a Page (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=19771)

Cathy131 Mar 1, 2013 07:47 AM

Remove Blog Title and Listing Specific Posts on a Page

Hi there

I copied index.php and created a templete called Europe_2013.php. Then I created a page which I plan on using as my blog while overseas but I'm having problems tweeking the layout.

I'd like to delete the following from this page ONLY

Blog Title (Untie the Knots......)
RSS Feed
Search box

Move the header image up as far as possible, which will hopefully move the map up the page too.

Any suggestions as to what changes I need to make to Europe_2013.php at achieve this?

I've also tried to use the List category posts plugin to insert a shortcode on the europe-2013 page, so that all posts in the Travel category (ID 187) appear on this page, with the most recent on top, but I'm just not getting the code right. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong - or can I add code to Europe_2013.php template to achieve this without a plugin?

Thanks in advance
Cathy

lmilesw Mar 1, 2013 08:27 AM

I would use CSS and "List Category Posts" to style my blog page as opposed to creating a page template which would get overwritten in a theme update.

Cathy131 Mar 1, 2013 03:42 PM

Thanks Larry. Can you suggest websites or (old fashioned) books where I can lean about this. Everything I done so far has been thru Google search chest and this forum.

lmilesw Mar 1, 2013 07:31 PM

This stuff changes too fast for most books to be of any value and when you start mixing different CSS and plugins there is only experience with CSS and being able to wrap your head around what the plugin can do. I have bought books on CSS and never used them.

My advice is to get real familiar with Firebug. I "play" with a lot of CSS virtually with that tool and then just copy the code that works and paste it in the appropriate spot. w3schools.com is a great place to learn CSS by playing with it.

Another thing I highly recommend is having a sandbox site that you can experiment on with various plugins, CSS, and such without worrying about breaking something.

Cathy131 Mar 2, 2013 01:56 AM

Thanks for your suggestions lmilesw - I'll check them out. In the mean time if anyone (Juggledad?) would like to give a specific reply, I'd be grateful!

Thanks heaps
Cathy

lmilesw Mar 2, 2013 07:34 AM

Your site is currently not accessible.

Cathy131 Mar 2, 2013 07:46 AM

Yes - I found a post that suggested inserting this code in to function.php would get rid of the blog title.

<div id="post-<?php the_ID(); ?>" <?php post_class(); ?>>
<?php if ( is_front_page() ) { ?>
<h2 class="entry-title"><?php the_title(); ?></h2>
<?php } else { ?>
<h1 class="entry-title"><?php the_title(); ?></h1>
<?php } ?>

and I guess in a way, it did - it got rid of the entire website! :( Unfortunately, I can't log back in to delete the code.

Hoping my host will rescue me with a backup soon.

Gives evidence to your suggestion of having a sandbox....

Cheers
Cathy

juggledad Mar 2, 2013 07:56 AM

just dowload a new copy of the theme, unzip it and upload a fressh copy of function.php
or use ftp to go to the theme folder, go to astahualpa and rename 'style.css' to xstyle.css' and the site should revert ot twenty eleven or twelve.

Then you can rename style.css back and use the dashboard->appearance->editor to select atahualpa and edit the function.php file.

Cathy131 Mar 2, 2013 05:54 PM

Hi Juggledad

Thanks for your suggestions but I'm using Atahualpa V3.4.9 - the version available here is 3.7.11. Will a fresh copy of function.php from the newer version still work with my old version or will I stuff things up even more?

Maybe the best option is to wait for my host to reinstall a back up from say, 28 Feb before I started messing things up?

Please pardon my ignorance but once my current issue is fixed and I can log back in, do I have to wait for my host to update either Wordpress or Atahualpa for me or can I do it myself via ftp (cyberduck) after using phpMyAdmin to back up my database (as well as copying all files to my hard drive and a cloud service - just to be sure!)?
Cheers
Cathy

Cathy131 Mar 2, 2013 07:07 PM

Wooo hoo - I was able to fix the function.php all by myself so my site is back up :-)

juggledad Mar 2, 2013 07:09 PM

you can get 3.4.9 from here: http://wordpress.bytesforall.com/201...-349-released/

you should be able to update from within WordPress.

Cathy131 Mar 3, 2013 02:08 AM

I've created a page that will list all the posts that have the category of Travel.

I'd like to delete the following from this page:
RSS Feed
Search box
Posted in Travel | Comments Off
Move the header image up as far as possible, which will hopefully move the map up the page too

Still working on getting either Flickr API plugin or Flickr Set Slideshows plugin to display photo sets from Flickr, but thats another story!

When a visitor clicks on the Read More Link, the post itself is displayed (obviously!). How do I delete:
RSS Feed
Search box
Category and Comments are closed (at the bottom of the page)
Add the next post link from the Travel category only to the bottom of the post? What happens when there are no more posts to display (ie I've returned from my holiday).

Thanks for your help
Cathy

juggledad Mar 9, 2013 03:37 AM

it looks like you are using a template and the template is not completely buildig the html page. That needs to be fixed before you can proceed.

Cathy131 Mar 9, 2013 04:36 AM

Yes - I am using a template. How do I fix the template so that it completely builds the html page? Instructions suitable for a 4 year old (or links to something appropriate on the 'net) would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Cathy

juggledad Mar 9, 2013 05:12 AM

use the themes index.php as a starting point.

sorry but 'Instructions suitable for a 4 year old' would take me hours to write up.

lmilesw Mar 9, 2013 07:18 AM

Why are you using a page template instead of CSS to hide what you want. Any page templates you create will be wiped out with a theme upgrade. You could use something like the following in CSS Inserts to get rid of the items mentioned on your test page.
HTML Code:

.page-id-1565 #logoarea {
    display: none;
}

Cathy131 Mar 9, 2013 04:41 PM

Hi ~Larry

Why are you using a page template instead of CSS to hide what you want. Any page templates you create will be wiped out with a theme upgrade
Because I didn't know any better - thanks for the tip :)

I went to ATO > Various Content Items > HTML/CSS Inserts >CSS Inserts and pasted your code in before clicking on save.

Nothing changed :confused:

Cheers
Cathy

lmilesw Mar 9, 2013 05:17 PM

.page-id-1565 would need to be changed to the class for the page you are targeting.

Cathy131 Mar 10, 2013 04:49 AM

Sorry to be a pain ~Larry but how do I find the class for the page I am targeting?

When I go to
All Pages
Click Edit Europe 2013
the Page Id shown in the address bar is 1565.

When I go to
All Posts
Click Edit on Test Post for Europe Blog
the post in the address bar is 1609

Obviously, this is not the same as the class?

Cheers
Cathy

juggledad Mar 10, 2013 04:53 AM

go to the page, use the browsers 'View Source' option, find the <body...> statement, look at the classes in that statement.

Cathy131 Mar 10, 2013 07:01 AM

Thanks Juggledad
Closest thing I could find was

<body class="page page-id-1565 page-template-default">

Tried both

.page page-id-1565 #logoarea {
}

and

.page page-id-1565 page-template-default #logoarea {
}

:confused:
Cathy

juggledad Mar 10, 2013 11:51 AM

You might want to take a CSS Intermediate Tutorial so you under stand what classes and ID's are and how to address them.

Go thru the tutorial and then see if you can explain what your CSS selector is doing.

lmilesw Mar 10, 2013 12:51 PM

@Cathy131

When you see
HTML Code:

<body class="page page-id-1565 page-template-default">
All the items there are classes separated by a space. To target them you have to put a dot before them such as
HTML Code:

.page
or
HTML Code:

.page-id-1565
or
HTML Code:

.page-template-default
if you wanted to use them all you would need to say
HTML Code:

.page.page-id-1565.page-template-default