Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Installing & running WordPress (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Where is the "kitchen sink"? (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=2037)

rove Jun 13, 2009 09:22 PM

Where is the "kitchen sink"?

I've just adopted my site to the Atahualpa theme.... went to do my first post and ran into a pair of problems.

1. On the Add New Post page, I can't find the normal editing options... fonts, alignments, indents, links, etc... what WP calls in other themes as "the kitchen sink". Does this theme not have them? If not, is it going to get them? I realize I can go to the Atahualpa options page to change the fonts, but if I can find out how to get all those options on the Add New Post page, I'll be grateful for someone's help.

2. On the Add New Post page, when I type, nothing shows. If I select the invisible text, it shows up, until I deselect it. The Body, Text & Links page shows black on white... so I'm baffled by this one also. Any help out there? Much thanks.

Also, I've just noticed that when I go to edit a page, nothing is visible in the editing box. [I just upgraded WP yesterday... don't know if that might have anything to do with it.

Pommie Jun 14, 2009 04:19 AM

Kitchen sink - I don't suppose you have HTML tab rather than the Visual tab open do you? (top right of the post area to flick between them)

juggledad Jun 14, 2009 04:40 AM

The Adding post's function and editing them is allWordPress not Atahualpa. It sounds like you updated WP to 2.8 and updated Atahualpa to ??. You should never do two pdates at the same time (unless you are brave or want to hack)

That said, the kitchen sink option is there on the eidtor - make sure you have clicked the 'Visual' tab and it is one of the last icons

paulae Jun 14, 2009 07:50 AM

And you get more editing options if you install the TinyMCE Advanced plugin.

rove Jun 14, 2009 12:17 PM

I thank you all for your replies. I've included a pic of the editor and it's options. Using different browsers gives the same options with slight variation.

Yes, I installed the theme several days before upgrading WP.
I'll check out the Tiny MCE for sure, but prefer to solve this problem first.
Switching from Visual to HTML back to Visual is leaving tags as you can see.

I'm not a coder, so prefer not to use that option.

If nothing else works, I suppose I could delete the theme, then reinstall, but prefer not to loose my hardwon settings!

Thanks, All

juggledad Jun 14, 2009 12:30 PM

I don't think it is theme related, but try this. Swap to the default theme and see if you have the same issue. that will tell you if it is theme related or a WordPress issue.

I did a fresh install of WP 2.8 yesterday, and all the edit functions are there and working fine. You may want to review how you did the upgrade of wordpress to make sure you didn't miss anything.

bushtool Jun 14, 2009 01:18 PM

I was having this problem with the visual editor. The visual editor buttons would not load, only the media buttons. It was some kind of memory hole that one of my plugins was causing. Specifically it was an older version of headspace 2. I have had memory problems with this plugin in the past so I decided to use a different SEO plugin and the problem went away.

If you are not using headspace, I would deactivate all your plugins and see if the visual editor buttons load. If so, then trial and error activation will let you find the culprit.

rove Jun 14, 2009 03:43 PM

Thanks, I should have thought of that, Bushtool. But it didn't work. So I tried Juggledads suggestion. On changing the theme back to WP basic, I had the same problem...only the html tools.

Interestingly enough, on my experimental site none of this happened.

So, unless there are more suggestions, I'd guess this calls for a WP2.8 reinstall?

Thanks again.

bushtool Jun 14, 2009 06:29 PM

Oh I should have mentioned that this problem messed up firefox too. When I removed the plugin, the visual editor buttons reappeared in ie and chrome but firefox still would not load them.

I saved my firefox profile, did a complete uninstall/install, manually reloaded the profile and then the visual buttons reappeared.

If you haven't already and the 2.8 reinstall doesn't work, try deactivating the plugins and use a different browser and see if the buttons are still not there.

juggledad Jun 14, 2009 07:27 PM

What is the version of PHP?

rove Jun 14, 2009 09:20 PM

Finally fixed! All 5 browsers showed about the same, so I uninstalled-reinstalled WP, as it was already updated. So I've got my kitchen sink back, and apparently I didn't loose anything in the process.

My thanks to you all, and for the forum itself for "being there"!

Pommie Jun 15, 2009 02:03 AM

Just found this which may explain your problem

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/279476?replies=29