Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Page & Category Menu Bars (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   [SOLVED] Problem with menus on IE8 (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=18787)

billc108 Oct 28, 2012 02:40 AM

[SOLVED] Problem with menus on IE8

Menu dropdowns are not appearing for me on IE8.

I'm running ATA 3.7.9 on WP 3.4.2. The dropdowns are actually appearing a tiny bit - a couple of pixels where the dropdown overlaps the parent menu item shows up and is clickable to the first sub menu item. But the rest of it appears to be hidden behind the center and side columns.

I've searched around here a fair bit and haven't found any problems that are similar.

The development site is dev.windcoalition.net. I've already tried turning off all the plugins... no difference.

Would entering a z-index value somewhere help? And if so, where?

Any hints or ideas appreciated.

Thanks!

juggledad Oct 28, 2012 04:33 AM

what happens if you remove all the contents in CSS Inserts? (copy it to a text file so you can put it back in)

juggledad Oct 28, 2012 05:02 AM

The real way to fix this is to increase the number of columns the logo area takes up and decrease the number that the menu takes up. Remember you hav to think responsive here. The changes would take place in the 'header.php' sub-template.

billc108 Oct 28, 2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juggledad (Post 91998)
what happens if you remove all the contents in CSS Inserts? (copy it to a text file so you can put it back in)

Well, aside from totally messing up the layout of the rest of the page, it doesn't do much to the menus on IE. Dropdowns are still there on everything but IE. (Firefox, Safari, Opera, Chrome on Mac, Firefox on Windows all show dropdowns).

billc108 Oct 28, 2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juggledad (Post 92002)
The real way to fix this is to increase the number of columns the logo area takes up and decrease the number that the menu takes up. Remember you hav to think responsive here. The changes would take place in the 'header.php' sub-template.

Sorry if I'm being dense...

I see at line 60 in header.php:

<td id="header" colspan="<?php echo $cols; ?>">

<?php echo bfa_header_config(); ?>

Those are the only lines in the section marked Header. There's a lot more detail in bfa_header_config.php for both logo area and menu, did you mean there instead? If so, I don't see any explicit mention of number of columns.

juggledad Oct 28, 2012 12:41 PM

Sorry my last post was an answer for a different thread - I've got to cut down having so many windows open at the same time :o

billc108 Oct 28, 2012 12:54 PM

No prob. That explains why I was confused, at least.

Still, just 1 or 2 px of the dropdowns are displaying in IE, with or without the CSS inserts.

Any ideas? As much as I hate to do so, I still have to support IE for this site.

juggledad Oct 28, 2012 03:42 PM

Your problem is that you have multiple syntax errors in your CSS and it would take too long to wade thru them to isolate the one that is causing your issue.

here is what to do.
1) export your settings
2) go to the CSS Inserts and remove everything
3) test it - is it fixed, then the error is in your CSS inserts - if still broken go to (4)
4) go to each page of the atahualpa settings and hit the red 'Reset Settings' button
5) test again - if fixed it has something to do with the settings on that page if not go to the next page and try again.

you might start with the menu page options.
remember is you get messed up you can re-import the settings you saved in step (1)

billc108 Oct 31, 2012 08:49 PM

Thanks. Got 'em fixed up, mostly. I've got a couple little details to straighten up still but the IE problem is gone as are several others.