Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   [SOLVED] Permalinks Custom Structure just gets 404 (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=15975)

RPJ Nov 15, 2011 09:42 AM

[SOLVED] Permalinks Custom Structure just gets 404

I am trying to change permalinks to display the page or post name. All the help pages say I should select Custom Structure and enter %postname%. When I do this I get is 404 on all page links.

I also get 404 selecting any of the other options on the Permalinks page.

There is a note at the bottom of the Permalink page which says I should add the following code to the .htaccess file:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]

The help page from the Permalinks page says that I need to add this code to the .htaccess file:

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>
# END WordPress

It is very similar and I have tried both versions but I still get 404.

I have checked the FAQ but cannot find a suitable post.

Any idea what I can do to make this work?

I am using Atahualpa 3.7.1
How dumb is this: I do not know which version of WP I am using - where does it tell me? (but I can upgrade to 3.2.1)

lmilesw Nov 15, 2011 10:19 AM

If you set permalinks to default do you get an error? Do you have a link to the site?

RPJ Nov 15, 2011 10:26 AM

Default is the only option that works

The site is: http://skyminer.co.uk/

RPJ

lmilesw Nov 15, 2011 10:37 AM

Strange. I would try renaming the .htaccess file to .htaccessold. It should then be recreated. Then I would go to permalinks, set them to default, save, then set another, save, and see what happens.

RPJ Nov 15, 2011 11:03 AM

My domain, MySQL, PHP and the wordpress installation are all on www.1and1.co.uk

I downloaded the file using Filezilla and edited it in Notepad but Filezilla could not upload it.

I thought it may not want a second file with the same name, so I tried renaming the file to .htaccessold (as you suggested) on the server but was denied permission, presumably by the host.

I thought that maybe they do not allow any changes, but using Filezilla's right-click, view/edit I was able to change content of the file. I checked this by editing it again and the amended text was in the file, so it looks as though the edit worked and was stored on the server.

I did note, however, that according to Filezilla the file size on the server remained unchanged at 70 whereas on my local PC it is 413 which would indicate that there is an anomily of some sort...

Does this help?

lmilesw Nov 15, 2011 12:40 PM

I am not sure what to tell you. I have heard of issues on 1and1 hosted site. What are the permissions on the .htaccess file?

juggledad Nov 15, 2011 01:47 PM

I would suggest calling 1and1 and talking to them about this.

RPJ Nov 15, 2011 02:20 PM

Will check with 1and1 and let you know...

Thanks

RPJ

RPJ Nov 18, 2011 04:34 AM

For reference, the hosting company '1and1' have what they call a Click and Build version of WordPress pre-installed. It is quick and easy to set up but has limited features. One of the limitations is that you cannot write to the .htaccess file.

They tell me there are many more limitations, but as I need to write to .htaccess I did not hang around and manually uploaded WordPress, and so far everything is OK.

While I am here I should just say that 1and1 have a very good technical support team and have invariably solved my problems and talked me through issues with great patience. I do recommend them to anyone who, like me, does not really know what they are doing.

Thanks for your help and no doubt I will be back...

RPJ