Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Sidebars & Widgets (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How To Get Category List To Expand When Its Title Is Clicked (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=11810)

san65 Dec 20, 2010 04:09 AM

How To Get Category List To Expand When Its Title Is Clicked

Hi,

I have Atahualpa 3.5.3 installed on WP 3.0.3, with Misiek Page Category plugin. In the right sidebar, I have installed "Page Categories". Each category has a page devoted to it (created by the plugin), with its own description. There are articles below each category.

In the widget configuration, when I keep the check-box for "Collapse all categories" unchecked, the entire list of articles below each category is displayed. When I check the box, then only the category names appear, and the articles below them get hidden (as expected). My problem is that when any of the category name is clicked, its corresponding description is displayed in the center (as it should), but the categories stay collapsed (which behavior I would like to modify).

I would like to learn how to get the category - that was clicked - to expand and to reveal the list of articles under it. The visitor will then have the opportunity to read the category description, and optionally click on any of the articles below the category to read on further.

Is this possible? I very much appreciate the guidance and direction of the Wordpress Gurus and Atahualpa/BFA experts.

Thanks in advance.

san65 Dec 21, 2010 07:58 AM

Hi,

Just bumping this up in case somebody has an answer to the situation I have.

Flynn?

Thanks in advance.

lmilesw Dec 21, 2010 04:08 PM

I am not sure if you can expand a category to show posts. It seems like I went down that path one time and gave up. I think what I ended up doing is have the category link take me to a page create with the List Category Posts plugin that had excerpts for the posts from that category.

san65 Dec 21, 2010 05:57 PM

Hello,

Thank you for your valuable inputs; much appreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilesw (Post 52690)
I am not sure if you can expand a category to show posts. It seems like I went down that path one time and gave up. I think what I ended up doing is have the category link take me to a page create with the List Category Posts plugin that had excerpts for the posts from that category.

I too considered pointing the category link in the RHS bar to a page created with the "List Category Posts" plugin. However, the page for the category description in itself is a full-page content which I would like the subscriber to go through, first, and then based on that, they might decide to go to the individual pages within the category. With the list-category-posts option, when they click on a page-link in there, the content of the clicked-page comes in and the other links go away, unless the subscriber right-clicks the page-link to open in a new tab.

On the other hand, if the category would simply expand to show the posts, besides displaying the content of its page in the central block, the issue is resolved.

Quote:

Originally Posted by STB (Post 52692)
I had a quick look at the plugins code earlier today, and I think you would need to change the plugin and code this yourself.

Probably easier, and worth a try, is to mail the plugin author and ask him how to do this, or ask him if he would consider this as a feature request.

You are right. Contacting the author of the plugin and the widget would perhaps be the right way to go. I was under the impression that the Atahualpa theme package somehow controlled the RHS sidebar behavior.

Thank you once again. I look forward to any further suggestions from the others that might help resolve the issue.

eCom Jan 4, 2011 04:03 AM

Hi San65,

Did you find a way to do this one?