Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Plugins & Atahualpa (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [SOLVED] Issue with Hierarchical Pages plugin (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=21062)

RHCdG Oct 27, 2013 06:23 AM

[SOLVED] Issue with Hierarchical Pages plugin

Hi,

As of recently, whenever I click on a menu item (page) in any of the menu widgets that I have, the child and parent pages open not only within that menu widget (which is what they should do) but in all menu widgets. I disabled all plugins but that did not help. I know I tinkered with the PageNavi plugin but I deleted that one altogether. Other than that I don't remember doing anything major except for upgrading to the new WP version, 3.7.

I left a support request on the plugin support page but have not received a response. I know this is is not an Atahualpa problem per se but you guys always provide such great support; would you care to take a quick look, and click on any of the menu items in the left hand bar (skip the top two as they don't have child pages)? The address is http://www.cornetsdegroot.com/
I appreciate!

Best,
Rutger

juggledad Oct 27, 2013 07:24 AM

what is the exact item to click on? I don't quite understand the issue. When I click on say 'De kunst van het falen (’78)' only it shows with children

RHCdG Oct 27, 2013 07:34 AM

Hi JD,

Right, it shows with children but it does so in all the menu widgets. The language (Dutch) doesn't make it easier but e.g. 'De kunst van het falen' has the following 6 children:

Nawerk
Inleidend
Over Gresshoff en Elsschot
Over Den Haag en Rodenko
Over het schrijven als levensproces
Recensies van ‘De kunst van het falen’

Now, if you look under the other menu widgets, you will see that these 6 children are displayed at the bottom of all menu widgets. That should not be, and it never was; they should only open below the respective parent page in the respective menu widget...

Thanks, I knew I could count on your help!

juggledad Oct 27, 2013 07:54 AM

Ah, now I see. I didn't notice they weren't indented.

I'm sure this is going to be another WordPress 3.7 bug (excluding menu items from a category menu doesn't work because of a WP 3.7 bug)

What menu widget are you using?
(note: I am going out on a date day with the wife so it will be a number of hours before i reply)

RHCdG Oct 27, 2013 12:20 PM

The top menu widget (this is all regardig the left hand menu bar only) is Menu 1 (Page Menu), the widget below that is just Links, and all the other ones are from the Hierarchical Pages plugin. Does that help? And can I downgrade without losing any settings, and would that recover the issue for now?
Hope you had a good Sunday, I had one myself!

juggledad Oct 27, 2013 02:16 PM

You can downgrade as long as you did a database backup before you installed P 3.7...you did do a backup right?

You would restore your database and get a copy of WP 3.6.1 and manually replace everything in the WP folder EXCEPT for wp-contents and wp-config.php

The Hierarchical Pages Widget plugin only states it is compatible up to 3.4.2 so that might be the problem. In my test using two 'custom menu' widgets, I see no problem.

You are going to have to
1) wait till the plugin author fixes it or
2) revert to 3.6.1 or
3) find a different plugin

RHCdG Oct 27, 2013 05:01 PM

I did back-up but since then I uploaded a lot of stuff, which I would lose when I downgrade, no?
Thanks again for your support, JD!

juggledad Oct 27, 2013 06:47 PM

Yes - if you restore to a prior point in time (the point where you made the backup) everything from that time forward would be lost.

You could look into the plugin's code (or get someone to do it) to see if there is a fix that can be made to it.

juggledad Oct 27, 2013 06:55 PM

You know, this could be tied to the other bug in WP so try this. You have to edit wp-includes/taxonomy.php and find the line
HTML Code:

$excluded_children = array();
it should be line 1365 - and change it to
HTML Code:

$excluded_children = $exclude_tree;

RHCdG Oct 27, 2013 07:04 PM

Ah bummer, I would have so much liked this to have worked... Unfortunately, it doesn't.
If you would want to look further into this, I would be happy to agree on a fee. Let me know...

juggledad Oct 28, 2013 05:44 AM

what settings do you have in the widget?

RHCdG Oct 28, 2013 07:27 AM

Show siblings to the current page? Yes
Always show top-level pages? Yes
Show the static home page? (always shown if it has child pages) Blank
Sort field: menu_order,post_title
Root page ID: blank

I don't think you need the other field values, right? Most of them are blank.
Thanks, JD!

juggledad Oct 28, 2013 01:44 PM

you have multiple occurances of the widget, how are they each setup? - understand, I've never seen this widget before so you have to explain so I can try and duplicate the issue.

RHCdG Oct 28, 2013 03:42 PM

The setup is the same for all of them, the way I described in my previous response, except for the Sort Field, which is sometimes 'menu_order', or 'ID', or 'post_title'.

The top two widgets (START and CONTACT/VOLGEN) are not Hierarchical Pages widgets.

RHCdG Oct 28, 2013 03:50 PM

I just realized that you don't know this plugin, so have no clue what I am talking about, sorry about that!
I just took a screenshot, you can view the widget right here.

juggledad Oct 28, 2013 05:03 PM

Ok, I took some time and looked at this. It seems to me that this plugin was never intended to be used multiple times. Having it multiple times seems to introduce bug where it always displays the children of the current page.

It would probably take me several hours to review the code and figure out where the issue is.

If the author doesn't get back to you you might want to look at just creating a set of custom menu's

RHCdG Oct 28, 2013 07:09 PM

Re: "Having it multiple times seems to introduce bug where it always displays the children of the current page."

But this is exactly the idea of the plugin. And until last week, it worked fine. The problem is that it opens child pages in ALL of the menu widgets instead of in just the respective menu widget, i.e. the one that holds the parent page the user has clicked on.

I could create multiple custom menus but I don't think they would offer similar functionality, i.e. have child pages displayed in the respective menu upon opening their parent page. Or, would you have suggestions for me? I would appreciate, and I will let you go with thanks for all the effort you put into this.

juggledad Oct 28, 2013 08:24 PM

Like I said before, there may be a bug in WordPress. The plugin is using the same wordpress function that is causing problem when passed the 'exclude' option. In this case it is being passed the 'include' option. So maybe there is a tie in, but I don't know enough about what the function is doing to be sure.

RHCdG Oct 29, 2013 03:30 PM

Hi again JD,
Just to follow up, I received a reply from the plugin author. He refers to this bug ticket, and advises that I either wait for a patch to 3.7 or to downgrade to 3.6.

Can I just ask you how long it usually takes before these patches are adopted?
The weird thing is I just uploaded so much stuff (mostly image galleries) to that website following the days of the upgrade to 3.7. It would otherwise have been no problem to downgrade. Or is there a way to save those new image gallery pages I created separately, downgrade to 3.6, and reupload the backup of those individual image gallery pages?

juggledad Oct 29, 2013 03:39 PM

That is the same bug I gave you the patch for and the patch does nothing as you have seen for yourself. You might want to let the plugin author know that.

RHCdG Oct 29, 2013 04:10 PM

I gave him the link to this thread, he may monitoring (but he's not fixing...)
I guess I'll sit it out and wait for the patch. Many thanks anyway, JD, for all the effort you put in.

RHCdG Oct 29, 2013 08:13 PM

Hi again, JD,

I am happy to tell you that the new 3.7.1 update has fixed the bug!

Best,
Rutger