Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   ThemeFrame Presales (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Is this a downloadable software or online app? (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=18323)

Ravendale Sep 7, 2012 08:40 PM

Is this a downloadable software or online app?

I have 2 questions:

1. Is this a downloadable software or online app?
2. Can this edit / update existing themes that are previously NOT created by ThemeFrame? Or it can only fully edit / update themes created in ThemeFrame in the first place?

Thanks!

lmilesw Sep 7, 2012 09:32 PM

It is downloadable software that is run on a local server. You can't edit other themes with Themeframe. It is only for building new themes.
You can see more at themeframe.com

stevinoz Sep 28, 2012 03:10 AM

local server? do you mean it has to be on a server machine or can it run on windows 7 ?

juggledad Sep 28, 2012 05:01 AM

you have to install xampp, easyphp, ampps or mamp (on the mac)

Splinty Dec 21, 2012 10:21 AM

Would You clarify, are themes created by ThemeFrame editable by ThemeFrame?

lmilesw Dec 21, 2012 10:25 AM

Yes... The themes created by Themeframe are editable with Themeframe. You just need to export the theme settings for later import and editing. This is in addition to exporting the theme zip.

NOTE: The actual theme is not editable - ie you can't take a theme created by themeframe and re import it, HOWEVER you can save the themeframe settings that created the theme and reimport them to regenerate the theme files

Splinty Dec 21, 2012 12:39 PM

Thank You. Well, i'm novice in WP, just not to be on wrong way... So, while in session, TF generates a correct directories structure and files, required by WP. But if i just close a TF desktop without "additional" export, i lost a way to continue work on theme further?

PS.
Glad to see Your interests in profile.

lmilesw Dec 21, 2012 01:18 PM

Here is what happens with Themeframe
  • You create a theme
  • You backup the theme setting using the export function (Important Step: this is so you can edit the theme in the future)
  • You either directly FTP the theme to your site or download a zip of the theme to install
  • If you need to edit the theme in the future you import the theme settings you previously exported

Jam Dec 21, 2012 08:28 PM

Sorry Larry, kinda disagree, the way you explain it makes it sounds more complicated than it is.

With TF123 (since TF102 I think) you have all current, available TF created themes, available from a drop down menu in TF. You can select any of your TF created themes at any time. You can exit one, look at another etc etc. Each time you access "a" theme, it is the current theme you are working on. Every change you make to that theme is automatically saved, it remains in the history of that theme.

You "can" export the txt settings for any theme at any time, as a backup for that theme at that point if you wish. The txt settings can be imported later if you wish, or, the theme just remains on your system, available from the drop down list at any time.

Hope that makes it clear for you.

Jam Dec 21, 2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splinty (Post 94098)
So, while in session, TF generates a correct directories structure and files, required by WP.

Yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splinty (Post 94098)
But if i just close a TF desktop without "additional" export, i lost a way to continue work on theme further?

No. Your themes are always available to look at, work on, tweak, FTP to any number of WP sites, export to txt as a backup, whatever. When you close TF your themes stay as you last left them until you open and edit them again.

Splinty Dec 22, 2012 03:14 AM

My appreciations to all of You, guys. From my dummy's viewpoint two big diamonds beats one big diamond and one small :) Jam won.
Moreover, Jam's answer is closer to what i'd wait from TF. I mean all-around-of-the-world approach to editing of documents, projects etc. : create-edit-save-close, open-edit-save.

I do apologize, but now i've lost an understanding little bit. What export, Larry concerned, is for? Just for backup? But exporting a theme.zip is backup also... So my idea now is that Export Settings is a TF's specific files that editing theme on other PC and TF's copy to be able. Right?

lmilesw Dec 22, 2012 06:43 AM

Thanks for your clarification Jam. I just didn't want someone thinking they could get Themeframe and then edit an already created theme and while it is true that you can create new projects and go to them at any time having a backup of the settings is important in case something happens and you have to reinstall Themeframe.

I often want to explain stuff further than I need to. :o

Jam Dec 22, 2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splinty (Post 94120)
What export, Larry concerned, is for? Just for backup?

Yes. Export txt settings is a backup txt file that you can import at a later date, back into TF to work further on that theme, from where it was exported at that point.

Quote:

But exporting a theme.zip is backup also...

Yes, but this is the "theme" as it is shipped to WP or a client. The files can NOT be "opened" by TF, ever.

Quote:

So my idea now is that Export Settings is a TF's specific files that editing theme on other PC and TF's copy to be able. Right?

Yes :)

Splinty Dec 23, 2012 08:40 AM

What's a day! Thank You, thank You, thank You! ;)

Splinty Dec 24, 2012 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jam (Post 94143)
Yes. Export txt settings is a backup txt file that you can import at a later date, back into TF to work further on that theme, from where it was exported at that point.
Yes, but this is the "theme" as it is shipped to WP or a client. The files can NOT be "opened" by TF, ever.
Yes :)

By the way, it's a good way of sharing editable themes, right? So, and where is it? Why Flynn, for example, don't share that TF file, that happy people from all world to edit Atahualpa? I've missed something again?

juggledad Dec 24, 2012 04:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
maybe this picture will help you to understand.

Attachment 2147

Atahualpa is a theme that was not made with ThemeFrame so it, like all other themes, can not be imported into ThemeFrame. This is true of ThemeFrame created themes. If all you have is the generated theme, you can not re-import it into ThemeFrame.

If you create a themewith ThemeFrame and then share the project backup export.txt file with someone else wha has a copy of ThemeFrame, they can import that into Themeframe, modify it and create a new theme from it.

I hope this helps you to understand.

Splinty Dec 24, 2012 07:46 AM

Dear, juggledad, I'm just one of thousands who properly confused by words "theme editor". But my knowledge is growing! And Your "Atahualpa is a theme that was not made with ThemeFrame" quite enough to conclude "it's very sorry".

juggledad Dec 24, 2012 08:10 AM

Atahualpa is a theme that was created BEFORE ThemeFrame existed.
This thread has run its course so I am closing it.