Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Plugins & Atahualpa (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   New Calendar Plugin (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=6628)

lmilesw Apr 6, 2010 07:52 PM

New Calendar Plugin

There have been several threads about calendar plugins so I thought I would let you all know about a new one that looks very promising. It is the My Calendar plugin. So far I am happy with the way it integrates and the two styles it offers. You can click the Monthly Style or List Style tabs.

paulae Apr 6, 2010 07:59 PM

I read about it. It's a fork off of Kieran O'Shea's Calendar, which I'm using already. I like the way this one looks. Does it also have a widget for Today's Events and Upcoming Events? I did read on the author's site that you can import the old Calendar's events into the new plugin's tables, but my PHP abilities are shaky at best. Were you using Kieran's Calendar plugin earlier?

lmilesw Apr 6, 2010 08:05 PM

If you read his "blurb" he ultimately says that even though this is a fork of Kieran O'Shea's calendar plugin there is not much left of it. I thought he also said that an import is in the works but not done. I have used Kieran O'Shea's plugin but for various reasons decided to use Google Calendar instead but I like that this is integrated within WordPress so my clients don't have to login to the WordPress site for some stuff and Google Calendar to add or edit events.

There are a couple of widgets with this one. One for upcoming events and one for today's events. They just show the title and a URL link if one was provided.

lucy Apr 7, 2010 11:43 AM

Thanks for the info. I am doing a Chamber of Commerce site right now also using Kieran O'Shea's plugin and will check out the new one.

Lmilesw, What are you using for your Directory? I am using Connections which is really cool but in order to provide good category navigation, I am having to do a lot of manual effort. I couldn't find one that handled categories well.

lmilesw Apr 7, 2010 12:02 PM

I tried Connections and I too found it cumbersome. I also tried Business Directory but it wasn't robust enough yet. I therefore resorted to creating posts. I tweaked the CSS so they showed up the way I wanted, found a plugin that allowed me to list them in alphabetical order and created a template with the Post Templates plugin to make creating new entries "easier". Not ideal but cheaper than ChamberMaster which is an online service that costs about $79+ per month to keep track of your members, event calendar, bookeeping and more which of course adds to the $79/month.

lucy Apr 7, 2010 01:03 PM

Thanks, Larry. Connections is pretty easy to update, just not the category part. Since I won't be updating the membership list I guess I will just get the categories set up manually as best I can. I'll post a link when it's done!

pampreslar Apr 28, 2010 04:33 PM

Terrific Larry! Thanks for sharing the calendar. It looks great and I'm going to try it.

Ciao, Pam

juggledad Apr 29, 2010 05:33 AM

Paulie,
if you are comfortable with phpMyAdmin, you can move the data. Here is what I would do to test it
1) install the plugin and activate it
2) create a new PRIVATE page with the plugin shortcode
3) add an event then delete the event

Now go into phpMyAdmin
1) select the wp_calendar_categories table and then select EXPORT
2) on the export window in teh 'View dump (schema) of table
a) under 'Export' select 'SQL'
b) under 'Options' select select
-- 'Structure'
X Structure
_ Add DROP TABLE
X Add IF NOT EXISTS
X Add AUTO_INCREMENT value
X Enclose table and field names with backquotes
_ Add CREATE PROCEDURE / FUNCTION
X Data
X Complete inserts
X Extended inserts
X Use hexadecimal for BLOB
Export type INSERT
c) Check the box 'Save as file
d) click on the 'GO' at the bottom right
This should download a file of the KieranOShea calendar categories. Do the same for wp_calendar
3) Edit `wp_calendar` and change all occurances of `wp_calendar` to `wp_my_calendar`
4) Edit `wp_calendar_categories` and change all occurances of `wp_calendar_categories` to `wp_my_calendar_categories`
5) go back to phpMyAdmin and do an IMPORT of teh two SQL files. NOTE: personally I always use the mysql command line to do imports because of how slow phpMyAdmin is in doing imports.

Now you should have two sets of tables in the database, one (wp_calendar, wp_calendar_categories and wp_calendar_config) for the KieranOShea calendar and a second set (wp_my_calendar and wp_my_calendar_categories) for My Calendar and you have two pages showing off the calendars for testing.

paulae Apr 29, 2010 06:34 AM

OK, I'll try that. Thanks for the clear information! I think the my-calendar guy plans to include an import function, but this will be a life-saver until then.

However: I find that if I view my-calendar in Safari, it looks terrible. The font is all screwy for the dates and events: http://aghca.org/community-calendar/

It looks fine in Firefox. He posted a fix for the CSS on this forum, but it had no effect that I could see. I won't be switching to this for my main site until I figure this out. Or you do. :) I also see, on his forum, that there are other bugs he hasn't yet addressed.

juggledad Apr 29, 2010 07:01 AM

I just noticed that you have a TEXT SIZER on the site. One of the things I notice is that at the bigest size, they look the same, but at the smallest size, the font in Safari, looks bigger than the font in Firefox. Could this be the difference you are seeing?

paulae Apr 29, 2010 08:51 AM

I removed that widget, but still get the squirrely font.

mnl May 12, 2010 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilesw (Post 29413)
I tried Connections and I too found it cumbersome. I also tried Business Directory but it wasn't robust enough yet. I therefore resorted to creating posts. I tweaked the CSS so they showed up the way I wanted, found a plugin that allowed me to list them in alphabetical order and .

hi. what plugin did you use to alphabetize the posts. i too created a custom layout for a tenant directory in my client's building and would love the alpha thing.

thanks!

lmilesw May 12, 2010 11:33 AM

mnl... It is the List Category Posts plugin.