Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Center area post/pages (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   [SOLVED] How do I set up a Featured Article Home Page in Atahualpa or Theme Frame? (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=18385)

dport Sep 16, 2012 09:59 PM

[SOLVED] How do I set up a Featured Article Home Page in Atahualpa or Theme Frame?

1 Attachment(s)
:confused: I've spent several days working on this and cannot find the solution I'm looking for in either Atahualpa or Theme Frame. I will need four columns. The top sections of columns 2 & 3 to be merged for a Featured Article section. The remaining portions of columns 2 & 3 divided into their regular column size. What I'd like to do can be seen in the attached picture. I'd like to know how to do this in Atahualpa first, and also in Theme Frame, if possible. Thank you.

juggledad Sep 17, 2012 01:50 AM

In atahualpa you could use the 'multi column/custom query' templete which gives you an option for posts above the columns

dport Sep 17, 2012 10:20 PM

Here is the section you referred to. What do I do to add one post above the columns, preferable just to the right of the left column as shown in my picture earlier.

// -------------------------------------------------------------------------
// get the posts_above_the_column
$my_custom_field = $custom_fields['posts_above_the_column'];
if (is_array($my_custom_field)) {
foreach ( $my_custom_field as $key => $value ) {
if ($key == 'posts_above_the_column') {
$posts_above_the_column = $value;
if ((!is_numeric($posts_above_the_column)) OR ($posts_above_the_column < 1)) { ?>
<br><strong><font color="Crimson">Warning:</font> your value for 'posts_above_the_column' on page '<?php the_title(); ?>' is not numeric or is a negative number - please edit the page and set the value correctly</strong><br>
<?php }
}
}
}

juggledad Sep 18, 2012 05:16 AM

go to dashboard->pages and edit the page you are using the template on
go to the custom fields section (if you don't see it click the 'screen options' tab top right)
add a custom field 'posts_above_the_column' with a value of '1'
add a custom field 'number_of_full_posts' with a value of '1'
add a custom field 'number_of_columns' and set it to '2'
if you want a custom query
add a custom field 'custom_query' and set it to the query you want

dport Sep 18, 2012 08:47 AM

The page I would like to edit is my main page - the home page that comes up when I first load my site.
That page is not listed in the Pages section of Dashboard. Don't see anyway to bring it up here.

juggledad Sep 18, 2012 09:36 AM

so create a page and call it 'Home' then go to dashboard->settings->reading and change front page displays and pick your new 'Home' page

also go to ato->MENU 1 (Page Menu)->Home link in Page Menu Bar and blank out that entry

dport Sep 18, 2012 11:34 AM

I want my posts to show on the front page. I followed your instructions. The newly created home page has nothing on it. Maybe I used the wrong term when I first mentioned Home page. What I need is this -- when a person pulls up my site the first thing they should see is my layout (pictured above) with the Featured Article post above the two middle columns. Four columns in all. How can I do that?

juggledad Sep 18, 2012 12:37 PM

did you assign the template to that page?

dport Sep 18, 2012 01:26 PM

How do I do that?

juggledad Sep 18, 2012 01:29 PM

edit the page - right hand side - page attributes->template

dport Sep 18, 2012 02:01 PM

This is the Atahualpa: JUGGLEDAD's multi column/custom query Page Template

// get the posts_above_the_column
$my_custom_field = $custom_fields['posts_above_the_column'];
if (is_array($my_custom_field)) {
foreach ( $my_custom_field as $key => $value ) {
if ($key == 'posts_above_the_column') {
$posts_above_the_column = $value;
if ((!is_numeric($posts_above_the_column)) OR ($posts_above_the_column < 1)) { ?>
<br><strong><font color="Crimson">Warning:</font> your value for 'posts_above_the_column' on page '<?php the_title(); ?>' is not numeric or is a negative number - please edit the page and set the value correctly</strong><br>
<?php }

Do I add it in this section? If so where do I add it and what exactly do I put there?

juggledad Sep 18, 2012 02:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
leave the template alone, you never have to edit it.

have you assigned the template to the page in the wordpress backend?

dport Sep 18, 2012 02:22 PM

OK. Got it now. Thank you.
Can this same thing be done in Theme Frame?
Four columns. Featured Article section above the two middle columns.

juggledad Sep 18, 2012 02:39 PM

possibly, you will have to play with it.

glad you got it going - I'll close this thread