Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Site lagging with theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=13153)

kesbo Mar 4, 2011 10:12 PM

Site lagging with theme

Hi there I am just wondering if anyone could help me work out why my site is lagging with the Atahualpa theme installed. This has been happening for a while now whenever I am customising the look of it. If I change the colour of the menu bar, the text of links anything it takes an age to update and for the changes to show on the site, often I can't see the page at all and the error I get is Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): Unknown error. Once it is customised it displays fine.:confused:

lmilesw Mar 4, 2011 10:48 PM

I have found some hosts are more sluggish than others. For instance on one well known host the other day I updated WordPress and it took over ten minutes and I then had to remove the .maintenance file. This same host has caused issues for me several times.

kesbo Mar 5, 2011 12:00 AM

Thanks Larry, I don't know if it is that though because the host provider checked in America and said it was running fine however they are not working on the theme just viewing it. I'm here in NZ maybe that has something to do with it. If anyone has a suggestion how I might remedy this I'd appreciate it.

juggledad Mar 5, 2011 03:40 AM

Who is the host?
What is the URL?
What version of Atahualpa?
If the 'ato->Configure CSS & JS->CSS: External file or inline? is set to 'external' try switching it to 'internal'

kesbo Mar 5, 2011 11:24 PM

Hi Juggledad

The problem was Google Chrome, I tried it in Firefox and it works a treat.

kesbo Mar 5, 2011 11:29 PM

Thanks JuggleDad for your feedback, I tried what you suggested but was still having the problems. It worked a dream when I used Firefox instead of Google Chrome.

juggledad Mar 6, 2011 02:30 AM

How is it with internal and IE?

kesbo Apr 11, 2011 10:01 PM

Hi Juggledad in Internet Explorer 9 the theme works about the same speed as Firefox.

juggledad Apr 15, 2011 04:15 AM

Do you have a caching plugin active?

paulae Apr 15, 2011 05:28 AM

In my experience, Chrome has been much faster than Safari, Firefox or IE.

I've also run into the need to remove the .maintenance file from time to time, and I'm not sure why that's happening.

KatyDigg Apr 27, 2011 06:07 AM

I've now downloaded and installed Firefox 4.0 and it is, now, faster.

Anyone else experienced as such?

Though, it is of little consequence if users don't update!!

Speaking of IE ... why on earth would anyone wish to drag along with IE 6 and 7 (and previous!!!) is beyond me.

lmilesw Apr 27, 2011 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatyDigg (Post 64128)
Speaking of IE ... why on earth would anyone wish to drag along with IE 6 and 7 (and previous!!!) is beyond me.

I would love to hear a viable answer to this question. Especially with regards to IE6.

flyboy May 1, 2011 07:13 PM

I've installed Atahualpa on around 40 or so sites just in the past 12 months, and I had the same issue with about 2 or 3 hosting companies on repeat basis (one of them quite well known).

I haven't been able to get to the bottom of the issue, as the issue only seems to crop up when logged in as admin. But I learned to advise my clients to shy away from those companies (if they happen to have their eyes set on them), and that tactic seems to work quite well.

Peculiar little bugger though....