Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   New Versions, & Updating (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   version 3.4.3, mis-ordered posts and Featured Content Gallery (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=3623)

paulae Sep 27, 2009 02:54 PM

version 3.4.3, mis-ordered posts and Featured Content Gallery

I thought that other thread was getting too long, so I'm starting a new one.

Flynn, you wondered if the Featured Content Gallery was causing the post order on the front page, center column, to be screwy. I removed the call for it from index.php right after the header call. The order is still off.

Remember a long time ago, you did some code for me that would force the letters and obits posts NOT to appear in the center column or in the left sidebar list of recent posts? In the FCG this week, we have a photo from a letter post. Usually we don't have anything in FCG from obits or letters. I don't see why that would mess up the order, but it IS an anomally. What do you think?

I can't even remember now where the code restricting obits and letters from the front column would be!

Flynn Sep 27, 2009 06:09 PM

Re: One image from a letter post:
Perhaps the FCG settings have to be adjusted to prevent that one post from being displayed, perhaps that one post has been given an additional category that is covered by FCG, or a wrong FCG image URL has been put into the custom field of one post.

Messing with "the LOOP" (query_posts, wp_query) is probably the trickiest part in Wordpress, especially when many other widgets are involved who may also access the Loop.
You could try to disable one or another plugin/widget for a moment which deals with posts in some way, and see if that helps. Especially those in the left sidebar as they get processed before the middle column: Recent Comments, Recent Articles in ....,

owenl Oct 23, 2009 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulae (Post 15463)
I thought that other thread was getting too long, so I'm starting a new one.

Flynn, you wondered if the Featured Content Gallery was causing the post order on the front page, center column, to be screwy. I removed the call for it from index.php right after the header call. The order is still off.

Remember a long time ago, you did some code for me that would force the letters and obits posts NOT to appear in the center column or in the left sidebar list of recent posts? In the FCG this week, we have a photo from a letter post. Usually we don't have anything in FCG from obits or letters. I don't see why that would mess up the order, but it IS an anomally. What do you think?

I can't even remember now where the code restricting obits and letters from the front column would be!

Paula - try downloading the Samsarin PHP widget plugin - this lets you use PHP code within a plugin. Now create a new widget in your center column style area and use the samsarin widget to enter your centered div and gallery code. It should work - I can't get it to work yet but I think I'm configuring the featured gallery thing wrong - I do get a featured gallery box in the right place though

paulae Oct 24, 2009 07:05 AM

Hi, thanks. I already use a PHP widget plugin, but not that one. In any case, whatever was going wrong before is OK now. I just put the FCG code after the header call at the top of index.php and it's fine, and I also have Flynn's PHP code that says "don't show excerpts from obituaries and letters to the editor on the front page" also in index.php. Works fine.