Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Plugins & Atahualpa (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [SOLVED] Activation WP Security Scan shuts down Page Block plugin (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=6075)

Craig Mattice Feb 28, 2010 05:42 AM

[SOLVED] Activation WP Security Scan shuts down Page Block plugin

I've only had this problem since updating the plugins and WP to their current versions. I've check the plugins one at a time and isolated this situation. WP Security Scan deactivated and the Page Block plugin works fine on all pages. Activate WP Security Scan and it shuts down Page Block.

I am not techie oriented and have no idea what to do. Should I delete and reinstall the Security Scan? Please share you insight and suggestions. This same situation occurs even when I switch to the default theme. I don't know what to do or should I get a new security plugin? I really like both plugins and need them.

My WP version is 2.9.2, Atahualpa version is 3.4.3, Firefox browser, Windows XP Media Center SP3.

Thank you,
Craig

lmilesw Feb 28, 2010 06:15 AM

I had some issues with WP Security Scan and no longer use it.

paulae Feb 28, 2010 06:27 AM

Security Scan caused problems for me too, but I can't remember which plugins it interfered with. There are other ways to protect your site from hackers. I use several plugins like Bad Behavior and one that limits access attempts.

Craig Mattice Feb 28, 2010 11:47 AM

Thank you for the response and feedback. What other security plugins would you suggest in addition to Bad Behavior. When I read the different choices out there, it's not unlike the menu in a Chinese restaurant, if you know what I mean.

Look forward to your response. I feel really exposed right now.

Craig

paulae Feb 28, 2010 12:08 PM

Limit Login Attempts is a good one. I have it set so that a user who inputs the wrong login info 4 times is locked out, for 20 minutes. If it keeps happening, that user is locked out for 24 hours. This stops brute-force attacks. It keeps a log of lock-outs.

Don't use "admin" as your username. Pick something hard to guess, make that user the admin, then delete the admin account.

Do a Google search on "Wordpress security". There are a lot of good tips out there.

Craig Mattice Feb 28, 2010 12:17 PM

Excellent Paulae! I've just been following some of your previous posts re: security concerns. I like the way you share your experiences, insights, advice, and work through/arounds. I admit, for me anyway, reading some of these posts is too much of a flashback to college math classes.

I will check out your suggestions and report back to save the next person time and confusion.

Thank you,
Craig

paulae Feb 28, 2010 12:28 PM

Thanks for the kind words, Craig. I think everybody who uses this wonderful open-source platform (Wordpress), this amazing open-source theme (Atahualpa), and the astounding open-source plugins should "give back" by sharing what we've learned.

Each upgrade of Wordpress has better security, but nothing's totally secure. I had delayed upgrading from 2.7 to 2.8, and we got hacked, big-time. It cost a fortune to hire somebody to rescue the site, and I learned my lesson! I can't guarantee we'll never get hacked again, but I'm doing everything I can to prevent it.

Also, please make sure you backup frequently! I can't stress that enough. I use the WP-DBManager plugin, and it's super-easy to set up. I have it set to do backups once a week automatically and email me the zipped file. I periodically also back up the uploads and plugin folders, since those are not part of the other backup.

Craig Mattice Feb 28, 2010 12:34 PM

Why is it backing up is such a hard lesson to learn? I too have learned the hard way both the disadvantages and definite advantages to frequent backups. I use HostGator for all backups. It is easy, scheduled, comprehensive and has saved my website on more than a couple of occasions.

I too love this theme and great support provided, this case in point! I am really looking for a security plugin that will replace WP Security Scan. Since mine is a church website there are only about five people who even need to login to add or edit. Or, am I missing your point and Bad Behavior and Limited Login Attempts are for protection against the "other kinds of people?"

Thanks,
Craig

paulae Feb 28, 2010 12:40 PM

Yes, you need to protect against "brute-force" automated attempts, by hackers. http://www.topbits.com/brute-force-attack.html

Why would anybody want to break into a church site? Why would anybody want to break into our small-town newspaper site? Just pure meanness, I guess. Just to prove they can. I don't understand it!

Craig Mattice Feb 28, 2010 12:54 PM

I installed Limit Login Attempts and set it up. Looking at Secure WordPress also.

Paulae, may I ask if you use Page Blocks for placing widgets within the page content vs. sidebars? If not, what would you suggest as an alternative? I use it for the "Announcement" and NexGen Gallery plugins so they appear within a specific page(s) and not all.

Let me share what I do have installed for security. Limit Login Attempts; WP SpamFree; WP Database Backup; WP Firewall; WP reCAPTCHA; WP Security Scan but not activated right now.

Thank you,
Craig

paulae Feb 28, 2010 01:04 PM

I don't use Page Blocks, no. You don't need that for the Next Gen galleries....just put the short code for a particular gallery on a particular page or post. It's easy because the plugin inserts an icon in the Visual editor. Just click on that and choose your gallery, and the code is inserted where you want it in your page or post.

Craig Mattice Feb 28, 2010 01:12 PM

Thank you, I will look into that also. I'm just concerned the conflict may be with Page Block and not WP Security Scan.

I appreciate the insight and advice.

Craig

Craig Mattice Mar 1, 2010 10:29 AM

Cross Reference to this thread for further insight to this problem:

Subject: How do I place widgets within page content?

http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=6082

I love this forum!

Thank you,
Craig