Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Sidebars & Widgets (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   [SOLVED] There is something very wrong with the right sidebar and IE (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=6549)

APerson Mar 31, 2010 06:50 PM

[SOLVED] There is something very wrong with the right sidebar and IE

I've been trying to ignore this problem for a long time but it's now starting to drive me nuts :) - as everyone else seems to know, the right sidebar does not appear on the homepage in Internet Explorer 8 but it does show up on other pages, as well as in other browsers. I've now tried everything I can think of and have read the other comments (at least those I can find) but nothing works. So, I thought I try something - I've removed everything from both sidebars (left and right) and dicscovered that widgets still show up when I do that. Specifically, the left side bar continues to show "categories" and "archives" (even though the widget panel in WP say that they should not be there) and "recent posts" "Blogroll," and "Meta" show up on the right sidebar (again, when the WP widget panel says there should be nothing there).

In addition, these phantom widgets also show up on ALL pages now. So, just for "fun" I decided to go to the Atahualpa Theme Options page on the WP dashboard and reset settings and also reset ALL theme options. Now the right sidebar disappears but Categories and Archives still show up on the left sidebar (once again, according to the Widgets page on the WP dashboard, there should be nothing there.

Why this is happening, I haven't a clue - has anyone ever figured out what is really wrong? It may be IE 8, it may be WP, or it may be the theme. I suspect that it is not the theme as I also had the same problem with the old Cutline theme too.

Has anyone solved this problem? If so, I'd really like to know. Thanks.

paulae Mar 31, 2010 07:46 PM

What is the URL? When I visit my own Atahualpa 3.4.6/Wordpress 2.9.2 sites in MSIE 8, Windows 7, I see all the sidebars just fine. Perhaps you're using a plugin that interferes? Have you changed any theme code?

APerson Apr 2, 2010 05:47 PM

I've just tried to create a new blog on a different site (but same server) using the Atahualpa. Oddly enough, it appears to be just fine.

On the orginal site, I've removed plugins, and everything else I can find but the problem still exists - even when I completely remove the theme.

I'm going to try and export the blog to the new, test site, and see what happens then. As I've removed the theme, I suspect that there is either a setting in WP that was changed long ago that I don't remember or something must be corrupted with WP itself.

APerson Apr 14, 2010 10:29 PM

I have FINALLY found the solution - I don't have much time to spend on dealing with the blog but I spent several more hours working on this @#$% problem today - after having tried almost EVERYTHING (including exporting the entire blog to a different site where, of course, the same problem existed). That lead me to suspect that the problem was with WordPress and the way it interacts with Micro$soft's IE - especially since the problem never appears with other browsers.

So. . . on the test site I created two blogs - one with the backup from the problem blog and the other one was a completely new blog - both of which I installed this theme. Lo and behold, the blog with the backup data still had the problem with the right sidebar not showing up in IE but the completely new blog had no problem whatsoever.

In complete frustration, I thought I'd delete all 100+ posts from the problem blog (I had even gone into the database to see if there was something I could find there - of course, there wasn't anything I could find).When I deleted ALL of the posts, the problem blog suddenly started to work again!!! Aha! That was the clue - I guessed (correctly) that the problem could be found in one or more posts. Not knowing what else to try, I started deleting groups of posts and checking the blog. What I found was one post, that I had written more than a year ago, that was causing the problem. Just looking it; however, revealed nothing so I decided to look at the HTML behind it and THAT is where the problem was!!!! I had written a post on the blog where I had cut and pasted a news release that someone else had created - the HTML behind that code revealed it was full of Micro$soft html junk. Specifically, that code started with:
<!--[if gte mso 10]>
<mce:style><! /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} ></div>
<div mce_tmp="1"><! [endif] ></div>
and the rest of the content had a bunch of similar garbage around it. After removing the above, Athahualpa started to work properly again! In other words, M$ own garbage code essentially prevented IE from displaying WP properly!!!! In other words, Google Chrome, Firefox, etc. handles M$ garbage better than IE does!

Of course, I then manually cleaned up the rest of the code and now everything seems to be fine (except I messed up other things - widgets and custom graphics - as I've tried to fix this mess for so long).

The final question is, why did this take so long? While I don't know when this problem first started - the problem post was written a year ago, I suspect that M$ IE wasn't as cranky with older versions of WP. Perhaps this all surfaced with I upgraded WP but, as this problem has gone on for so long, that I don't remember when it first started! Just the same, if your right sidebar disappears from the home page of your WP blog but seems to work on other pages, you might want to look for a post or posts that contain M$ HTML messes in them. Getting rid of them solved my problem.

Now, I have to go back and restore all of my widgets and other custom things. . . .