Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Page & Category Menu Bars (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   [SOLVED] Why do children items have parents hover color. (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=7819)

FlippinSweet Jun 27, 2010 04:37 PM

[SOLVED] Why do children items have parents hover color.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grum (Post 34957)
It's in the page menu bar at the top - when you mouse over the two items that have sub-menus and run down the list, you get white space appearing to the right of some of the menu items.

**update - I just managed to solve this by increasing the width of the width of the sub menus from 11 to 14.

I agree, changing the width of the submenus (and of course replacing the bfa_hor_pages.php code provided by Juggledad) fixes this issue in Firefox but MSIE 8 still has an issue.

To Test: Using MSIE 8 try clicking on the main tab of a menu item with subcategories so that the main tab is selected. Wait for the page to refresh. Now mouse over that same menu item tab. All of the items in the submenu have changed to the mouseover color and even the mouseover color doesn't extend all the way to the right of the submenu, leaving a gap. This time the gap is not white but is the original non-moused-over submenu color.

If you mouseover the actual subitems it seems it works correctly and extends the mouseover color properly, it is just that the subitems are already the mouseover color!

SUMMARY: The animated menus seem to work fine in MSIE 8 as long as you are not mousing over submenu items in a selected tab.

I'm disappointed that MSIE isn't supported better (no rounding, the outer main box gray shading is missing, etc...) I know the general reasons why this is the case, but nonetheless it can't be disputed that MSIE more than triples Firefox in visitor hits (I have my own stats to prove it).

But in any case, this is a great theme and I hope to be able to solve some of these issues and make it work!

juggledad Jun 27, 2010 06:24 PM

As soon as msie starts supporting the css3 you see lots of the issues like rounding corners go away. All other browsers support the CSS for rounding but IE which is why most (if not all) haye it because of the contortions needed to made sites look good in ie

It really has nothing to do with the theme

FlippinSweet Jun 27, 2010 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juggledad (Post 35495)
As soon as msie starts supporting the css3 you see lots of the issues like rounding corners go away. All other browsers support the CSS for rounding but IE which is why most (if not all) haye it because of the contortions needed to made sites look good in ie

It really has nothing to do with the theme

Any thoughts on the MSIE 8 animated menu glitch I described? Are you able to reproduce it?

Thanks for your reply :)

FlippinSweet Jun 28, 2010 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlippinSweet (Post 35508)
Any thoughts on the MSIE 8 animated menu glitch I described? Are you able to reproduce it?

Thanks for your reply :)

Actually, this is happening with FireFox 3.6.6 as well. If you click on a main tab that has submenu items, wait for the page to refresh, then mouse over the main tab again, all of the submenu items change to the mouseover color.

So the only difference between MSIE 8 and FireFox 3.6.6 is that with MSIE the color only extends to the right as far as the submenu text, on FireFox it extends fully to the right. Either way the entire submenu shouldn't be changing to the mouseover color when only mousing over the main tab.

Can anybody else confirm they are seeing this? This is with Juggledad's patch (1st message in this thread) installed.

Just to be clear:
WordPress 3.0 (only the Akismet plugin installed, nothing else)
Atahualpa 3.5.1
Apache 2.2.15
PHP 5.2.13

Thank you! :)

lmilesw Jun 28, 2010 08:42 AM

That has been an something I've noticed for sometime even on earlier versions of Atahualpa and haven't been able to figure out the selectors to change. If you set the top level menu item to not be a link it is not an issue.

juggledad Jun 28, 2010 10:27 AM

FlippinSweet - please do an export of yout style (ATO->Export/Import Settings->Export) and attach them to a reply so I can test with your settings

FlippinSweet Jun 28, 2010 11:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by juggledad (Post 35537)
FlippinSweet - please do an export of yout style (ATO->Export/Import Settings->Export) and attach them to a reply so I can test with your settings

I've attached. Renamed the file for privacy. Thank you!

juggledad Jun 28, 2010 11:56 AM

(this has nothing to do with the bugfix, so I've moved it to a new thread)

Oh, that's now a bug, that is the CASCADING in CASCASING STYLE SHEETS
a menu with sub pages looks like this
<ul>
<li class='menu1'> menu1 </li>
<li class='menu2'> menu2 </li>
<ul>
<li class='child1'> child1 </li>
<li class='child2'> child2 </li>
</ul>
<li class='menu3'> menu3 </li>
<li class='menu4'> menu4 </li>
</ul>

If you used the following css
HTML Code:

ul {background: red;}
all the menu items would be red. If you add
HTML Code:

ul li.menu2 {background: blue;}

menu1, 3 and 4 would be red, but menu 2, child1 and child2 would be blue. If you wanted child1 and child 2 to be red, you would have to add
HTML Code:

ul li.menu2 {background: blue;}
ul li ul {background: red;}

(you might have to add an !important to this last one.

so to change the children to th original hover color, you muse have more css at that level.

The menu CSS is the most complex of the page - over 400 lines of code.

FlippinSweet Jun 28, 2010 12:04 PM

Thanks Juggledad. That looks like something better left to the developer, but thank you for the explanation. For now I think I'll just set "Don't link first level parent items in Page Menu Bar?" to yes. This fixes everything other than the hover color extending all the way to the right on submenu items in MSIE 8.